Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few slices of olive bread.

image.jpeg

made some rye bread today, decided to speed things up with some yeast. I've not been able to bake much due to building work

400g dark rye
150g strong white
100g active sourdough starter (50g strong white, 50g water)
350g water
10g bakers yeast
tablespon honey
2 table spoons EVOO
12g salt

Not cut into it yet so no money shot

34927876025_8150a87e2c_c.jpg

I got up early yesterday to make bread for the family get-together. I made pull aparts, and it's all just easy Italian dough. I cut it into pieces, rolled into balls, then sprinkled with Italian herbs, garlic, and a little salt. Put them in a round cake pan with a little room between them.

It smelled like pizza while it was baking.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1496149006.200248.jpg

She's at it again...I figured homemade calzones with homemade dough still qualifies to be in this thread.

20170530_164328_HDR.jpg

I got up early yesterday to make bread for the family get-together. I made pull aparts, and it's all just easy Italian dough. I cut it into pieces, rolled into balls, then sprinkled with Italian herbs, garlic, and a little salt. Put them in a round cake pan with a little room between them.

It smelled like pizza while it was baking.

Man, those look good. :p

We have been experimenting w different blends of flours recently and an analogy to brewing dawned on me: General Purpose flour is like base malts and other flours can be used like specialty grains.

We just made a blend using Lintel Flour that is quite tasty. Plan to do a few blends using other gluten free flours. We dont like the results with 100% gluten free (and dont need to make gluten free), but do like the flavor/texture of some of the flours.

This was an epiphany for me, maybe not for you more experienced bread makers.

We have been experimenting w different blends of flours recently and an analogy to brewing dawned on me: General Purpose flour is like base malts and other flours can be used like specialty grains.

We just made a blend using Lintel Flour that is quite tasty. Plan to do a few blends using other gluten free flours. We dont like the results with 100% gluten free (and dont need to make gluten free), but do like the flavor/texture of some of the flours.

Speciality grains themselves make good ingredients! When I've got some leftover grains I grind them down as best I can and add them. I only ever use very small amounts, but it adds something different.

Speciality grains themselves make good ingredients! When I've got some leftover grains I grind them down as best I can and add them. I only ever use very small amounts, but it adds something different.

Yes, another idea to try.

Beer & Pizza Night with a twist...one pizza made w the whole wheat blend and the other w the lintel blend.

Will report back how they were...burp...

View attachment 1503619852342.jpg

Beer & Pizza Night with a twist...one pizza made w the whole wheat blend and the other w the lintel blend.

Will report back how they were...burp...

Well, we're waiting...
Also, how was that Köstritzer? Never seen that before. I love their black lager!

Well, we're waiting...
Also, how was that Köstritzer? Never seen that before. I love their black lager!

Ok, Im awake from my beer & pizza coma now...

The Köstritzer Pale Ale is quite good. Its a medium to full bodied ale, dark golden color, with a tasty hops balance. Here in Panama we often get random brews popping up on the shelf. I think they accidentaly get off loaded at the Canal and end up in the shelves...then they go away never to be stocked again. This was one such beer. When I first saw it, I thought it was their Schwarzbier (Black Lager)...another beer which has randomly appeared and disappered...then noticed it was a Pale Ale. Since it was by Köstritzer I picked it up anyway.

It does pretty well on the rating sites. I noticed on RateBeer that none of the reviews were from the USA so maybe not be widely available in the USA, dunno.

It is incorrectly listed on both BeerAdvocate and RateBeer as an IPA, but I see nothing on the label or the brewery site to indicate its an IPA...just a Pale Ale. But it is somewhat IPA like it terms of body, color, malt flavor, just not as hoppy.

Now for the pizza...

Both were delicious! The dough blends definately made a positive contribution to each. However, we agreed that the lintel blend won out (same toppings on both) because of its unique flavor.

Next up, we plan to do another lintel dough blend pizza with mediteranian style toppings. Seems like a stylistically appropriate pairing.

I don't even grind them. Just knead them into the dough.

Weather is finally starting to cool down. Yeast starter is coming out of hibernation next week!!!

Back