Homebrewtalk Peloton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anybody participate in the Peloton community over at Reddit? r/pelotoncycle

I think I read a thread noting how to connect Strava and FitBit

Yeah, I've been participating over there a bit. It's been helpful to keep up to date on certain things, has helped find some fun classes that I might not have heard of otherwise, etc. Gotten useful info on exercise in general and learned more about various workouts. I probably wouldn't have known what Power Zone is or jumped into it as early if I hadn't been reading people who spoke so highly of it.

They also track the annual challenge check-in for the day you should reach each thousand-minute milestone for people targeting 15K or 20K annual minutes. Which is good if you're trying to hit a specific goal (as I chose 15K and I see you're close to on track for that.)

I wanted to do a longer but easier ride today. Christine just released a 60 minute PZE that's entirely in Z2. It sounded perfect.

I thought it was the most recent Christine ride I had bookmarked. So I head over to the bike, load up my bookmarks, and Christine was the first one on the list. Perfect!

Got into the class, and realized it's actually a 45-minute PZ that's got a bunch of significant Z4 blocks in it. Oops.

I did Christine's PZE Zone 2 class a week or so back. IF you follow her cadence guidance, it's a brutal workout. Yes, it's Zone 2 the entire time, but she works the entire power thru cardio range. Those slow Zone 2 power sections killed me, but I definitely saw the genius in her approach to just how varied and difficult a Zone 2 workout can be.

Definitely not a Kendall 10 min climb ride, but still brutal if you're not mentally prepped for what Christine put together

back after an exhausting business trip to Irvine. discovered the Double Tree near the airport had a Bike with shoe holsters, but bummed I didn't have time to squeeze in a ride. I did squeeze in a wonderful sashimi dinner on Tue night. will be grabbing dinner there again on future trips

my welcome back set list this morning was a 30 min PZE with Olivia, then a 10 min climb ride with Kendall, a 10 min cool down ride with Christine, a 5 min upper body stretch with Rebecca, and wrapped the morning up with a 5 min post ride stretch with Bradley.

great to be back after a few days away!

Hopefully on a future trip we'll be able to meet up for a beer. Damn kids gettin' in the way! 😂

Finally got to make use of my new dumbbells today. Didn't try the 35# yet but ended up doing chest press and lawn mower row with the new 30#. It was manageable enough that I probably should have bought those sooner lol.

Q: How do you amp up your morning Bike+ ride to a new level of intensity?

A: Take a Grunge ride, and do it in German!

This discovery was enabled by tweaking my Preferences to include classes in German that don't have English in CC. There's a whole new world of classes from the German instructors that have no equivalent to the content delivered in English. Metal. Grunge. Screamo. and all with equally intense (intimidating?) class workout content.

The Bike+ with Auto-adjust set to on takes care of a portion for what could be lost in the language barrier, as it adjust the resistance following class parameters. That leaves watching the instructor for queues on the effort type and the performance indicator for cadence range.

I suspect that I'll never again feel intimidated by a class given in English :D

I've taken some classes with German instructors, but only so far the ones they teach in English. Haven't done a German-language class whether captioned or not.

I do think I have my settings to show German classes, but only if they are captioned.

I took this HannahC Low Impact ride live for my 250th ride today. Sadly no shoutout. But I was excited when I finished to see that not only did I get my 250 ride badge, I got my 10K minute badge! When I first was signing up for "the annual" originally I thought I'd only go for 10K, but later decided to try to stretch to hit 15K. Well, I'm still ahead of the game and on track...

BTW if you're looking for a low impact class, check that one out. Great playlist, with artists like Nathaniel Rateliff, Chris Stapleton, Nothing but Thieves, etc... Wasn't quite sure what I'd be getting into with a live class playlist, and it happened to be damn perfect.

Had a decent day today. I've finally accepted that evenings are the time that works for me and I just need to get started even if my wife is in the living room with me. I think this evening was my fourth round of
  1. Upper body strength warmup (found a 5 minute video that seems to work for me)
  2. 10 minute Arms and Light Weights
  3. Upper body stretch that I'm used to enough I can follow along
for the month. One day on, two days off, repeat. I also got a decent bike ride in with my son at the local bike path this afternoon. I hook him to my bike like this (his bike has pedals now), but today at the end of our ride, us being a little way from our vehicle, I unhooked him, told him that I would be next to him the whole time, but he needed to do a little bit of our ride by himself, even if he just treated it like his balance bike. He scooted along like it was his balance bike, but it's still progress.

So anyways, a bike ride with mini-me making progress, and a strength workout. Kind of what I was planning for the summer, but it took until August to do it.

I found my first unenjoyable ride this morning. not the exercise itself, but my fault in mistaking Daft Punk for 70s/80s/90s Punk, and compounded by it being a Lane Break type class (the 'game' type classes accessible when riding a Bike/Bike+) where there's no instructor - just the music and screen graphics

almost exited before the first two minutes were completed, but stayed put to use it as mental training to push thru an unpreferable situation. I learned about a music genre I'd not previously known the name of - I shall not willingly make this morning's mistake again

I found my first unenjoyable ride this morning. not the exercise itself, but my fault in mistaking Daft Punk for 70s/80s/90s Punk, and compounded by it being a Lane Break type class (the 'game' type classes accessible when riding a Bike/Bike+) where there's no instructor - just the music and screen graphics

almost exited before the first two minutes were completed, but stayed put to use it as mental training to push thru an unpreferable situation. I learned about a music genre I'd not previously known the name of - I shall not willingly make this morning's mistake again
😂

Yeah, Daft Punk is a band. Or "was", they recently decided to retire from producing new music. Speaking of which, I need to take Ben's Daft Punk ride at some point...

How is Lanebreak? I keep hearing about it but have never actually tried it myself. I assume it "scratches an itch" not normally found in other instructor-led rides, but I don't know what that itch is having never done it...

Lanebreak is good for those times when I'm looking for low distraction exercise, and am needing just tunes and minimal else beyond exercise. from a workout perspective, the levels I've been doing have a solid mix of cardio/muscular workout while following the warm-up / exercise / cool-down formula that is common across most all of the instructor lead cycling classes.

there's a recent Motley Crue addition that definitely met my want for some 80s rock without distractions. choose a level and then ride for 30 minutes. I'll take this one again often, but at different exertion levels depending on what my objective is for that day's activity

hit a couple milestones this week:

- 350 cycling
- 150 stretching

I'd lost track of numbers so it was a surprise to see the badge appear when my workout stats popped up.

I also passed the 45 pounds lost mark this week, and am firmly beyond the halfway point on my weight loss target. averaging just under 6 pounds/month loss with regular exercise plus a small diet change. there's still a significant journey ahead to achieve my doc's mandate, but I see it's definitely achievable to lose those remaining 40 pounds and attain/maintain a reasonable level of fitness before summer kicks off in 2024

I mostly use the iPhone app for managing/tracking my Peloton activities and progress, so this feature may have been around for a while and I was simply unaware. I was browsing my ride stats via the Bike+ today and discovered that there's additional metrics available that aren't included in the iPhone app - something I've been wishing for for some time as I work thru my fitness planning

1692558141778.png

you can see the different Power Zone levels graphed as a colored range, and then where this zone range is applied during the specific course. also included is my achievement across the course indicating where my output fell in respect to the designated zone. yes, I probably am ready to re-test for updated FTP numbers given I am consistently riding at the top edge for each zone range in this ride and rides from the past month or so.

only one thing is a bit off for this graph, and that's the spin-ups during the warmup section (the four places in the first section where my output is significantly above the indicated zone range). for those who don't have a Bike/Bike+ and/or are unfamiliar with the PZ class structure, when these spin-ups are called out the zone range is blanked out (i.e. there is no zone level to ride to) so technically the indication of zone level 1 is incorrect. that said, it's the warmup period so no big deal.

also interesting to see where I stood up briefly in two zone 2 sections near the end to flex my legs.

Yeah, that was very recently added (within the last month I think?) so no, it's definitely not something you missed.

This tropical storm today has been keeping temps low enough we've had the windows open. But with all the rain it is VERY humid. So when I did a 30 minute strength session, I was flat out DRENCHED in sweat. I was thinking of following it up with a ride, but that's gonna be a big no.

Got up early today for a 60 min PZ Endurance live session @ 5A Pacific with Matt Wilkers. Been some time since my last live session, and first time on a live PZ session. Bested my PR for a 60 min session by 5% in the process. Great way to kick off a Bday weekend :)

Got up early today for a 60 min PZ Endurance live session @ 5A Pacific with Matt Wilkers. Been some time since my last live session, and first time on a live PZ session. Bested my PR for a 60 min session by 5% in the process. Great way to kick off a Bday weekend :)

Good job and happy birthday!

I can't ride at 5 AM. The bike is our bedroom and I'm not waking my wife up for that lol...

Happy belated birthday, @Rodent !

I earned a post-ride stretch today. I rode bike to & from church, which was 37 or 38 miles total.

We had service outside today, thankfully.

When I did Kendall's Metallica ride, I went into it with the goal of hitting a PR and a specific output number. I got the former, but not the latter.

I went into an older one of her rock rides today, wanting to go hard but didn't have a goal of either a PR or a number. But I started going through the ride and realized at one point that I was just jumping above my 45-minute PR, and decided to see what I could do.

I blasted my PR almost 6%, hit my target number from the Metallica ride and went 35 kJ over that number, and realized that if you take my average wattage from the ride, I averaged a number that wasn't equal to my FTP, but was well into Zone 4 over a fully 45 minutes.

Today was a win 😁

@betarhoalphadelta CONGRATS!!!!!

so it was you who I 'donated' my strength to today, a day in which my 'noodle-legged' efforts brought equilibrium to the achievements you made

Thanks for letting me borrow it, buddy!

Might need it again soon if you have some to spare... I think my FTP is getting stale and I'm gonna need everything I've got for a retest 😂

:D

last week I was thinking I needed to retest my FTP since I'd been living at the top end of my Zones for a couple weeks.

this week I'm thinking I need to retest my FTP since I can barely keep to the middle of my Zones

weird what a week can do to one's performance

great 45 PZ spin on Erik Jager's Metal Ride. Lots of Zone 4/Zone 1 the first half, then Zone 4/Zone2 for the second half. honestly didn't feel much different than a PZE type class at the time, but two hours later I still feel a bit-o-burn in my thighs/calves

a Metal ride in German - what can be more inspirationally intimidating, eh? :D

Yesterday was rough. I did a core and then an UB strength, and knew I needed to get a good ride in. I didn't ride Thursday and am not planning on riding today/tomorrow due to golf, so I though "let's do a 90 minute!"

Well, motivation was already lagging by the time I got my bike shoes on and I told myself "better hit start on that 90 before you lose your nerve." So I did. And in the first minute of warmup my body was telling me "Brad, you can't do this today." Well, I'm a stubborn SOB, so I said "Body, you're right. I can't do Matt's callouts of 8/10 minute Z3 blocks. But I refuse to get up so let's just do this whole thing in Z2."

And I did. And it was effing rough. I'm guessing my legs still had a workout hangover from Wednesday's 45-min PR. The first hour of Z2 wasn't that bad, but as I got into those last 30 minutes it was a grind. By the last 10 minutes I was struggling to keep my Z2 output in the middle of the zone.

But I did it. So there's that.

Hey guys, read some of this thread and now I'm stoked. Husband found a peloton bike (not the '+', just the original) on FB Marketplace for $500 and brought it home today. Both of us are lazy to the extreme when it comes to exercise; and with my homebrew obsession it's getting to a point where I either need to lose weight, or look into medication for type 2 diabetes (5'2" and 178lbs, that's insane). So far since it came home I've done Hannah's 20 minute beginner ride and the 5 minute scenic ride in Maine. Bike came with size 8 peloton shoes that fit me, he has to wait until Monday for his to get here; but just scanning through some of the classes has us both excited to get going on it.

We both have gym memberships but he uses his rarely, and I've never been; I don't like to exercise around a lot of people I don't know, also I never know what to do when I've gone to one in the past. Tried a personal trainer thing once, and got irritated quickly. This thing is in my garage/brewery (another bonus, forced me to reorganize out here) where I spend the majority of my time at home.

And here's a question for you fellas: how long did it take before your butt bones didn't feel like they'd been swatted repeatedly by the biggest mash paddle in the world? I've got a big wide (what I call my 'fatbutt') seat on my e-bike but I don't want to put it on the peloton. I know I'll get used to it eventually, but damn it hurts to sit right now.

Hey, good to "see" you, seatazzz. Be sure to join the #Homebrewers tag group on Peloton.

I don't have their bike, so I don't know if there are alternative seats available. Maybe bike shorts would be a good investment?

Until you find what works for you, probably focus on those shorter rides. I do, because with the kids around I don't get many 20+ minute blocks of time to myself. But some decent bike shorts could help you, and they might even be good for when you go on longer ebike rides.

Welcome @seatazzz !

As for the seat, that's normal when you first start. It's typically 2-4 weeks depending how often you ride. You'll get used to it. A lot of people recommend padded cycling shorts for it. I eventually got some (because I was tired of riding in boxers and gym shorts that would ride up and weren't comfortable fabric anyway) but didn't notice much help from the padding--but then I was 200+ rides in so maybe I was just used to the seat anyway. The seat doesn't bother me unless I'm riding more than an hour.

Make sure to check out the app. There are a TON of other non-cycling things you can do. I especially recommend stretching--from riding the bike you'll get tight in your hips, glutes, possibly lower back, etc. Doing a 10-minute full body stretch after a workout will help keep everything loosened up. Obviously you can do it on a PC or tablet, but you can also install the app on a Roku on possibly just a general Smart TV, so it's pretty accessible in a lot of places other than the brewery/garage, where I'm assuming you don't want to be rolling around on the floor lol...

Ran to the store this morning and bought a pair of workout pants, much more comfortable. Not as sore this morning as I thought I'd be. I'm starting out slow with the 20 minute beginner classes for a week or so, then will try to start challenging myself. Right now I feel like I just ran a race with a semi truck., after a 15 minute ride. Feels good though. It amazes me that I can't stand to walk farther than 2 blocks from a parking spot, but put me on a bike and I can ride forever. Must be a mindset kinda thing. I even skipped brewing this morning so I could get a ride in.

Back