Homebrewtalk Peloton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you do have a great username over in the Pelo world :D

The funny thing about it is that I've never actually had a "beer gut". Yeah, I'm overweight, and was even more so when I started Peloton. But I'm just one of those guys that gets a little fat all over, instead of having the round protruding beer belly.

But it still seemed like an appropriate name for a homebrewer...

Well my neck and back are improving. I managed a 10 minute ride last night and I don't feel like it's a problem this morning. I added a beginner level upper body workout to my stack in case I'm feeling good this evening. After my last Arms and Light Weights video I was really sore, it clearly set back my recovery. I remember this video not being very difficult to follow along with.

Edit: tricep kickbacks with an already sore back are less than a good idea. The verdict is still out on whether it was a bad idea.

Last edited:
Who's excited for the Blink-182 artist series that just dropped?

I'm thinking of making tomorrow "Blink Day" and doing Kendall's 10-minute shadowboxing and Andy's 30-minute full body strength to start... Take a break for a bit, then take back to back Bradley's 10-minute warm up, Erik's 20-minute, and Kendall's 30-minute rides...

The only other Blink artist class will be a run, and, well, I don't run. So not planning on trying that.

Kendal now has a blink-182 ride

1700252393237.png

I hit the 30 hour mark post outpatient type surgery, so I'm cleared to do more than just sit around like algae. how better to celebrate by taking a 10 min recovery ride, eh? had to do it as I discovered yesterday morning that I was a day off from a 60 consecutive day achievement - thought it was yesterday and not today so I could have a few days off post surgery.

I pulled back when I could tell I was going to warm up enough to 'glisten' as I'm sure that sweating to a workout would get me a stern word from my doc on Monday. had to limit participation in a 5 min post-ride stretch due to several of the stretches pulling against the stitches

15 min of light duty is better than being moss all day long. hoping this little setback doesn't kill my chances for hitting the 15K mark this year

Kendal now has a blink-182 ride

View attachment 834123
I rode for about an hour this morning before remembering this ride had recently dropped, so headed over and gave it a spin.

definitely some NSFW content in the bLinK-182 lyrics and instructor commentary, but nothing close to what I hear at work on a daily basis.

super fun ride that wasn't as challenging as I had feared, and the live drums on several songs made this one of my favorite rides taken since I got my bike. I'll definitely ride this one many times again

I rode for about an hour this morning before remembering this ride had recently dropped, so headed over and gave it a spin.

definitely some NSFW content in the bLinK-182 lyrics and instructor commentary, but nothing close to what I hear at work on a daily basis.

super fun ride that wasn't as challenging as I had feared, and the live drums on several songs made this one of my favorite rides taken since I got my bike. I'll definitely ride this one many times again
Yeah, I completed "Blink-182 Day". Did Kendall's shadowboxing, Andy's strength and then a stack of Bradley/Erik/Kendall rides. I saw you on the "a friend is working out now" thing but I was just starting Bradley's warm-up while you were in Kendall's ride so I couldn't catch up.

Erik's ride was tough. Combination of a lot of cadence and resistance together. Taking it I thought I was going to bonk out on Kendall's ride. But Kendall's was good... It was either cadence OR resistance pushes, so never both at once.

And it was a fun ride. I was worried I'd have a problem on it, but then I look up and there's 8 minutes left and I'm "where did the time go?!" lol...

given today's activity I'm now ahead of my avg exercise min/day needed to hit the 15K objective for this year.

Congrats!

Yeah, I completed "Blink-182 Day". Did Kendall's shadowboxing, Andy's strength and then a stack of Bradley/Erik/Kendall rides. I saw you on the "a friend is working out now" thing but I was just starting Bradley's warm-up while you were in Kendall's ride so I couldn't catch up.

Erik's ride was tough. Combination of a lot of cadence and resistance together. Taking it I thought I was going to bonk out on Kendall's ride. But Kendall's was good... It was either cadence OR resistance pushes, so never both at once.

And it was a fun ride. I was worried I'd have a problem on it, but then I look up and there's 8 minutes left and I'm "where did the time go?!" lol...

Congrats!
Bradley's warmup was also a fun ride, and he was as jovial as most always. I took that after I'd ridden for an hour, and felt fresh enough that I gave Kendall's ride a go.

wish there was a bLinK-182 cooldown ride and post-ride stretch to accompany - I'd likely work that combo at least once per week as a routine

since it was Sat today, I didn't think to check for you in the friends working out notification ... bummer

rode my 500th ride today in Christine's live 45 min climb ride. my legs were pretty fried to start given how much I rode this weekend, but I took extra stretching time beforehand and found a second wind as the ride progressed. finished 234/673 with 13.53 miles at an average of 45% resistance and 76 rpm

today also marks my 1-year anniversary for my health emergency event last year, and I get confirmation of all the positive changes later today at my yearly physical.

I'm also slightly ahead of my 300 mi/month goal @ 206.3 mi at 20 days in to Nov

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I just finished the Turkey Burn ride. I knew they were giving a special PR badge, so I went for it. Basically just ignored the callouts and chose a cadence/resistance combo ~10W above my previous PR average wattage, and just tried to ride it steady-state. I managed it. It was still hard as hell lol...

@Rodent I saw your invite to the stretch but didn't get the notification on my phone until after it started, so didn't quite make it.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I just finished the Turkey Burn ride. I knew they were giving a special PR badge, so I went for it. Basically just ignored the callouts and chose a cadence/resistance combo ~10W above my previous PR average wattage, and just tried to ride it steady-state. I managed it. It was still hard as hell lol...

@Rodent I saw your invite to the stretch but didn't get the notification on my phone until after it started, so didn't quite make it.
not a prob, and you probably were better off with the streaming session vs the live session. definitely some IT challenges for the live riders attempting to join the live class. I finally got in at around the 20 minute mark, and about two minutes later the instructor noted a 'welcome to all those riders who are just joining us' (you may have heard that comment in the stream)

bummer, as I had rested two days and was definitely ready for a new PR. even joining 20 minutes late I was right 100 points below my previous PR - definitely would have exceeded it had I had the full 45 minutes of ride time 😢 oh well, we don't ride just for PRs or badges

I had over 25 Peloton friends who were signed up and at the peak only saw eight who were able to login to the live session

Unsure if it's in the streaming version, but it was announced at the end of the live class that the new Guinness record was achieved. I think I need to add 'Guinness World Record' to my resume in the noteworthy accomplishments, but not provide details. let it be a conversation enabler in an interview should somebody be curious :D

for the record, I re-rode the Turkey Burn ride via stream replay and exceeded my previous 45 min ride PR by 78 (~20% increase) after having rode what I see now was the difficult 25 min of the live stream. feels good to know I could do it if I had been able to join in without the login issue, and then actually do it on a second try later in the day despite being a bit pooped from the morning try at PR in the reduced time

so I have a set of today's Turkey Burn Live badges, and a paired set of Turkey Burn Stream badges :ban:

I had every intention of getting right back at it when we got back to our house on Sunday after visiting all the family, but the kids and I picked up a bug while we were out. I think my spouse did as well, but she endures illness better than I do.

Just finished up a quick arms workout video. I might make Silver for this month's activity challenge. Considering I tweaked my neck and back earlier this month, the traveling, and this cold, I'm ok with what I have been able to do.

FYI they screwed up the December Strength Challenge again, where it counts every workout of any modality as strength.

It is now fixed, but to get an accurate count, you have to leave the challenge and then rejoin.

I was just credited for 3k minutes in the Annual challenge (and I know I'm communicating with people over 14k), my spouse did 17 yoga videos this year, so I think my goal is to follow along with 17 more videos (/ bring total workouts up to 240) before 2024, and make it at least close to an honest 3k. That'll be close enough for me.

Made it to Day 5 after surgery 2 of 3, and finally feeling like I'm ready for another ride. I probably pushed it a bit this past weekend, but I kept my cadence/resistance low and rode an extended time to keep my movement up.

Stitches out this coming Monday and then it's back to the regular push (and breaking a sweat) though maybe still staying light on stretching for another week or so

I was just credited for 3k minutes in the Annual challenge (and I know I'm communicating with people over 14k), my spouse did 17 yoga videos this year, so I think my goal is to follow along with 17 more videos (/ bring total workouts up to 240) before 2024, and make it at least close to an honest 3k. That'll be close enough for me.

Hey, it's a start, right? I had zero minutes in 2021. Only exercise I did was walking the dog and playing golf. Got the bike in June 2022 and put up about 4500 minutes. Set the goal for 15K in 2023 and need another 136 to get there. I've been thinking about it, and I'm not going to extend my goal for 2024. I know I could go 18K or 20K, but I think 15K is a pretty goldilocks number for me...

Now that you've got a sense of how it all works, try and figure out an achievable goal for 2024 and go for it!

Made it to Day 5 after surgery 2 of 3, and finally feeling like I'm ready for another ride. I probably pushed it a bit this past weekend, but I kept my cadence/resistance low and rode an extended time to keep my movement up.

Stitches out this coming Monday and then it's back to the regular push (and breaking a sweat) though maybe still staying light on stretching for another week or so
Glad to hear it!

Speaking of going hard, yesterday I did my first 90m PZE ride since my last FTP test, so managed a PR with it as my new zones were higher. Wasn't planning on riding today, but as I got onto the app for my strength exercises today saw that Denis had a 30m live rock ride about 15 minutes after strength would end... So I did it. And though I wasn't planning on pushing, it was live... So I pushed a bit.

Ouch. That's enough for today (except probably a stretch after my upcoming work call).

Now that you've got a sense of how it all works, try and figure out an achievable goal for 2024 and go for it!

But... I'm incredibly cheap and my free trial ends this coming spring (March?)! 😆

I'm at least going to want to keep it active until I ride at the Century Ride (not to be read as "I am riding 100 miles at a Century"). After that, IDK, I'll see how I'm feeling.

Maybe I can't, but others, like exercise equipment makers, diet planners, and supplement makers have been doing that for years. Not that I'm comparing exercise programs that make me sweat to green coffee bean caffeinated placebos.

Looking at what happened this year, I didn't do many pelo-workouts June - September while I was complaining about bad air quality and not doing as much outdoor riding as I wanted even when the smog subsided. I think I read that accounts can go on unpaid hiatus for a couple months without loss of data. If that's an option then I might try that out summer '24, in the months where I should be getting my butt outside to ride.

If it's smoggy or rainy next summer and I want to ride my stationary with someone calling out changes in resistance/cadence/effort/whatever, I think I've noticed YouTube channels with that kind of content that I can try out.

But I don't think I'll suspend my membership until after May. Who knows, by then maybe I'll feel more motivated because I'm actively being charged for it.

Yeah, I think they do have options to "pause" a membership, but it's also true that your membership is separate from your account, so even if you cancel your membership, your data and history remains. If you cancel and then resubscribe a year later, all your data is still there.

My ex had a Peloton for a while and my oldest son had a Peloton account attached to her membership. She got rid of it and obviously was no longer paying, but we recently added his account to our membership on the bike and all his previous rides (all ~11 of them lol) are still there in his account history.

That might be what I end up doing. Cancel for the summer and then resubscribe September or October. If they keep your data for long enough, that should work out fine.

Unless I get crazy and decide I want to try riding RAGBRAI, but I wouldn't want to do that myself, and can't think of anyone who would want to go with me.

Crossed 15K today!
CONGRATS on this achievement milestone! :rock:

I've got 444 minutes to go, and at my current burn rate I should cross the threshold sometime either Fri or Sat next week. While the achievement award will be satisfying to have accomplished, it's the day in/out difference in my physical condition that's the bigger reward.

I'm all for having these kinds of carrots, if that's what it take to keep me mentally in the game of increased condition and better health

CONGRATS on this achievement milestone! :rock:

I've got 444 minutes to go, and at my current burn rate I should cross the threshold sometime either Fri or Sat next week. While the achievement award will be satisfying to have accomplished, it's the day in/out difference in my physical condition that's the bigger reward.

I'm all for having these kinds of carrots, if that's what it take to keep me mentally in the game of increased condition and better health

Yeah, it was most apparent with the Turkey Burn fiasco. Supposedly a PR would result in a special badge. I got the PR. I still haven't gotten the badge.

A bunch of the reddit folks are still griping about that. I can't bring myself to care. I went for the PR because the special badge idea challenged me to do it, but it was the accomplishment of a PR, NOT the badge, that I care about.

I'll let myself be motivated by the badges, but it's the fact that I've now exercised >40 minutes per day on average for the entirety of 2023 that is important. The carrots are a means, not the end.

worked in a pair of 90 minute scenic rides this weekend, and decided I'd add in a bit of light weights for arms on each ride during the 30-60 minute portion using 3 pound weights and a rotation of curls, presses, flies, and rows.

the Sat ride is opened the ride with a series of 5 min turns of in/out of the saddle, and then closed out the last 30 min with a series of pushes

the Sun ride I opted for 2 min out of Zone 3/4 the saddle to kick off each 10 min periods, and then 8 min of Zone 2 recovery. in the 30-60 min window I added 3 pound weights for arm exercises similar to the Sat workout.

both days had a following 10 min cool down ride and post ride stretch

what was definitely different this weekend is that I took scenic rides but utilized Spotify for the audio portion vs streaming the Peloton audio. MUCH nicer for the riding portions, but weird during the stretching since I needed to keep a good visual on what was happening.

I really like this pairing of Peloton visual and Spotify audio for the longer scenic rides, and tuning in to Winery Dogs or Blink-182 for the middle section with light weights was a solid match (for me)

197 min to 15K milestone for me as of tonight. that's 15 min every day thru the end of the year - totally doable even with some limitations due to the surgeries

197 min to 15K milestone for me as of tonight. that's 15 min every day thru the end of the year - totally doable even with some limitations due to the surgeries
Congrats in advance! I know you'll get there with plenty to spare.

FYI just be aware that I've heard sometimes Peloton doesn't calculate minutes perfectly, and there have been people sitting at something like 14,995 on Dec 31 and do a 5-minute stretch and somehow end at 14,999--so I'd try to make sure you do finish with a little margin lol...

I'm glad I finished mine, because I had a very busy weekend and now I'm dealing with a sick kid (and a bit achy myself now), spent yesterday dealing with a water heater replacement, and I'm just physically and mentally spent. Need to keep getting daily activity to hit my 60-day streak on Friday and Gold activity badge, I need 6.9 miles to hit Gold in the cycling challenge, and 3 more strength to hit Gold in the strength challenge. But I don't think there's going to be anything more than a stretch today (3rd day in a row).

@betarhoalphadelta I have experienced several classes where the class length differed from the minutes credited. never more than 1-3 minutes, but potentially significant if one is cutting it down to the exact minute. the classes I've had this issue with consistently have the time discrepancy no matter how many times I replay the class.

crossed the 15K milestone marker today on an 80's Rock ride with Bradley

it's been a great journey getting my health back in line. so many changes made, many of which are becoming a new norm for daily living. looking forward to this coming year and seeing where my conditioning is when it comes time to take that yearly mid-summer hiking trip to Mt Rainier or Mt Baker

Congrats @Rodent !

I've been slacking. What the kid had happened to have been the flu, and my wife and I both got knocked the $&^@ out by it for a few days. I managed to eek out my 60-day streak with a meditation Wednesday, a [labored] 0.5 mi outdoor walk Thursday, and when I started feeling almost human again, a 10-minute stretch Friday. But haven't done anything since, and I'll be playing golf tomorrow so I don't want to go nuts to overexert before that.

Still need 6.9 miles for my gold cycling badge and three more workouts for my gold strength badge.

Congrats @Rodent !

I've been slacking. What the kid had happened to have been the flu, and my wife and I both got knocked the $&^@ out by it for a few days. I managed to eek out my 60-day streak with a meditation Wednesday, a [labored] 0.5 mi outdoor walk Thursday, and when I started feeling almost human again, a 10-minute stretch Friday. But haven't done anything since, and I'll be playing golf tomorrow so I don't want to go nuts to overexert before that.

Still need 6.9 miles for my gold cycling badge and three more workouts for my gold strength badge.
you gots plenty of time to get those last few reps in before the ball drops!

I'm going to miss out on the strength badge this month. I've been taking longer 60 and 90 minute scenic rides and working a couple 10 minute arms sessions in during the ride. I like that I can get two workouts in at the same time plus get to jam out on a Spotify play list.

I'm hoping to get back into it since we're done with traveling. Some of my inlaws were dealing with a bad respiratory virus, though, so I better get at it tonight in case I end up sick too.

Well, I hit 240. Yeah, a bunch of that was 5-minute strength warm-ups, while my wife probably did 15 minute yoga videos, but this is 3k-ish, and I am fine with that. I cannot be bothered to figure out the difference, especially when it's December 28th and I'm not going to have the opportunity to put in another 3 hours of cycling on top of whatever the kids leave me alone for.

It's been a bit of a challenge to my mentality. If I could just look at the number/minutes of cycling and strength workouts without warm-ups, cool-downs, and stretches, I would. But given my back and neck issues, this approach of crediting things that keep me from horribly tweaking something and having to take time off from this, that really is worth something. It may be a strange concept to my head, but it reinforces a good habit, and a big (if vague) goal I brought to this was to develop good habits.

Well a nasty stomach bug is going through my house. We're not sure we're clear of a respiratory bug yet, either. I expect to be suffering through it any time this afternoon.

My birthday is coming up, it looks like it showed up on the live schedule while I wasn't paying attention. Nothing on the day looks particularly enjoyable. Not sure it would be worth a shout out.

Well a nasty stomach bug is going through my house. We're not sure we're clear of a respiratory bug yet, either. I expect to be suffering through it any time this afternoon.

My birthday is coming up, it looks like it showed up on the live schedule while I wasn't paying attention. Nothing on the day looks particularly enjoyable. Not sure it would be worth a shout out.
so sorry to hear you're going down for the count on your Bday :(

I don't know whether it's after effects / recovery from the flu, or just the effect of being off the bike for ~10 days... But the 45 minute PZE I did today seemed a lot harder than usual.

Might take a little time to fully recover to where I was before...

Back