Homebrewers Toolkit Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homebrewer's Toolkit Review
  • Homebrewer's Toolkit:
  • OS Windows 8.1 (available on the Windows Store)
  • Cost - $9.99 (full featured demo available)
I was excited to see a new brewing program, Homebrewers Toolkit, written for Windows 8 and especially one that synchronizes with OneDrive and that has a (soon to be released) Windows Phone companion app. I hate to say, but I'm disappointed.
I've been brewing for about 8 years and have tried multiple brewing programs, including Brewtarget, Beertoad, spreadsheets, and eventually landing on Beersmith. I'm coming to this from the perspective of ease of use, how well could someone who has not brewed much pick up the program and run, and from the perspective of how well information is laid out for me on a brew day.
I am going to give the "Too Long: Didn't Read" version first, and then go into detail. This program is not very good, I'm very sorry to say. Information is not given in any kind of concise fashion, instead being spread across multiple pages. Rather than listing ingredients first, they are listed in bits and pieces off to the right, while the initial display has nothing but Style and Total cooking time like the length of my boil (the "cooking" time) is a relevant detail. The second screen has dial gauges for Color, Bitterness, Batch Size (do I need a dial for that?), OG, FG, and ABV.
Grains are on the third screen, for which my 6 grain Imperial Red only takes 1/3 of the screen, Hops on the fourth, Yeast on the fifth, Water Bill (which includes mashing, sparging, mash profiles) on the sixth, Botanical s on the seventh, Brewing notes and tasting notes on the 8th and 9th. Comparing to Beersmith, all of this information is displayed on the main page where I can see all of it, at once. Dial gauges are inefficient while slider gauges, while not as pretty, show just as much information in less space. Ingredients are all listed in Beersmith while they are listed separately and strangely in Homebrewers Toolkit.
1-1947.jpg

Homebrewers Toolkit

The input interface is awkward. You click on Recipe Details, then you slide right to get to the type of ingredient you want to enter. Next you click on the arrow icon, not the grain icon, and slide right again to get to the grains. Now you slide up to get the add button. Your grains are always displayed horizontally so you really need to filter them. Click on the grains you want and click Add. Then you have to re-filter to get a new set of grains and click Add. Notice that we have not entered amounts yet so now we have to go to Brewing Sugars (?) and click on a grain and choose Edit. Under this next screen, you can enter the amount as well as change the category, potential gravity and maximum return. I'm not sure why I would want or need to change these values. The whole process is quite awkward and took a lot more time than on any other program I've used, even a web-based program where I would expect more clicks and steps. The same thing goes for inputting the hops bill, the yeast, etc.
2-1948.jpg

Recipe Expected Values
But it actually gets worse. I typically do a single-rest mash, but the mashing profiles are not listed that way. The Mashing Schemes (chosen under Water Bill Mashing swipe up and choose Select Profile) are listed by style, and they all have a protein rest and most have 5 steps, including Beta-Glucanase, Protease, Beta-Amylase, Alpha Amylase, and Mash Off. I don't know anyone who uses mash profiles like this. Yes, you can delete steps but nowhere do I see where I can create a standard single-rest mash profile.
3-1949.jpg

Grain And Hop Bill
The water volumes are also significantly off. Homebrewers Toolkit tells me I need 13.4G for mashing and 1.4G for sparging. This doesn't even come close to the volumes that Beersmith give me (and that I know are correct) of 11G for mashing and 7G for sparging (43.2Qt and 6.98G, specifically).
4-1950.jpg

Recipe Style Analysis
The grain selections are quite limited and are missing nearly all of the commonly used Crystal malts. The Hops selections are also very limited (I got hits on about half of my commonly used hops, missing, among others, Willamette and Falconer's Flight). Yeasts are not listed by manufacturer or supplier so it's difficult to get specific yeast info without filtering and then filtering.
Terms are not straightforward: cooking time instead of boil time; hop "gifts"; brewing sugars instead of grains. Timers are not well laid out and equipment profiles are awkward and very limited.
I really had hopes. When I opened the program, it was attractive and clean looking. However, it is nearly unusable, at least to me. I like my information right in front of me, and Homebrewers Toolkit spreads it out over many sparsely populated screens. It's inefficient and awkward. It gets 10 IBU out of 100.
4-1950.jpg

That's too bad, I thought it looked okay in the app store but didnt bother paying the $10 since I recently designed my own spreadsheet for the same purpose. But, I did notice that iBrewmaster is now in the windows store as well, for only $5. I always enjoyed that app when I had an iPhone but went with BeerSmith when I got an android mainly due to its popularity on this site, but I found both about the same, each has different perks over the other I think. In the end I think I used ibrewmaster a lot more and tend to have more issues with beersmith (not saving inputs and so on).
On the subject of windows apps, the 'Beer Ratings' app was a disappointment for me. It was a quick and easy way to keep notes on my beers but after inputting 22 of my 24 craft beer advent calendar beers it randomly lost everything I had done. Pretty annoying after carefully taking notes in order to keep track of numerous beers I don't typically have access to.

I agree, it's a pretty disappointing program I spent about 10 minutes trying to move around in this and nothing really made any sense. The UI is horribly designed and seems more concerned with showing of Win 8.1 than being user friendly. I'll stick with Beersmith for now.

A software that does not support multiple platforms should be avoided, if not out of self preservation (in case you change), but out of principal. It's by nature moronic. Make it a webapp so anyone can use it in a browser or if it's a stand alone software such as Beersmith, support at least the three big groups: Windows, Linux, Mac.
So in a way, I'm glad to hear this is a "shitty" program.

Thanks for doing the review, this is valuable. I'm not crazy about beersmith 2, though I've been using it since it came out. I'm not sure there is anything better out there. I've tinkered around with making my own program in matlab (for my own use, not commercial), but haven't gotten anything useful done yet.
I'd like to see some more people trying to write better brewing software. Maybe there will be a beersmith 3.

If you are looking for "ease of use", you should check out <a href="http://allgrain.beer">AllGrain.Beer</a>
It's new and seems to be lacking some details, but the interface is great and really easy to use (at least for a newb like me).

Thanks for review. I'm sure it will save some of us from wasting our time. checking it out ourselves.

I used Brewers Friend for a long time, my subscription ran out, I was using it for free, but you can only have so many free recipes, then I had to make a decision, so many folks use Beersmith I went to that and now i'm tied in, the only thing I love is the water calculator. I'm a Windows Phone user, and a total Windows guy, no Rotten Apples for me, so I was happy to see some Windows love, but all apps get continually improved, it takes time.

Thanks for this review. I agree that the windows 8 platforms (phone and pc) are lacking in the apps space for brewers. There are some decent tools out there (at least for the phone), but nothing I've found for the tablet.
@Crocks86: iBrewmaster looks interesting, but with only two reviews, I'd hardly call its rating appealing. What's your experience been with it?
What I'm hoping is that Brad eventually gets the money and time to update the software to a Windows 10 universal app version of BrewSmith when that operating system comes out.

The app's website has a link to "Check its excellent ratings". Unfortunately the link is dead as is the whole site. This does not inspire confidence. Perhaps this software will inspire others to do better.

Too bad it wasn't developed for the browser. The reach to brewers would be exponentially larger than limiting to basic PC users. I'd love to see BeerSmith become browser based!

Too bad about Homebrewers Toolkit.
I use both BeerSmith and Brewers Friend. Both of them work equally well. The only drawback to BeerSmith is that one is only able to have it on 2 computers, whereas Brewers Friend is unlimited if you bought a membership. Therefore I have it on both computers, plus my tablet and phone. I use my tablet when I am out brewing which is very convenient.

Thanks for the review. I know most people use BeerSmith but I haven't made the jump. Been using Brewtarget which I originally found for Ubuntu, but there is a Windows version as well. Meets my needs and can't beat free.

Nothing compares to beer smith due to it's easy of use, you'll save the money spent in the first use by how much time your saving.

I like Beersmith2. It gave me the confidence to jump into AG brewing, and made it pretty much idiot proof.

Just a quick note (this is Mike Malsed, the OP author) - I'm writing more reviews and will be hitting as many software suites as I can get my hands on. If you have suggestions, please list them and I'll see if I can get to them.
Cheers!

Back