Homebrewer Ben Starr, finalist on Tv's Master Chef season 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what sunk Alejandra was that she tried to act like she didn't know the porkloin was raw. She just HAD to know what she plated, and it appeared like she tried to cover it up.

Either way. .. if she didn't know, that's a HUGE mistake, and if she did know, and tried to cover it up, that's even worse.

I was thinking that playing the product placement drinking game during the layer cake challenge would be dangerous. The multiple shots of slow, deliberate cutting into the cakes using The Globals would be a fast-track to a bad hangover.

With 1oz shots of Apfelwein, there would be many of us calling Ed names in the morning.

thataintchicken said:
I was thinking that playing the product placement drinking game during the layer cake challenge would be dangerous. The multiple shots of slow, deliberate cutting into the cakes using The Globals would be a fast-track to a bad hangover.

With 1oz shots of Apfelwein, there would be many of us calling Ed names in the morning.

Count me in

I'm starting to think that bald headed judge is ruining the show. He's so dramatic with his comments and dumping the food. This guy seems to get pleasure by bringing an adult to tears. It think its stupid that being a contestant on the show requires that you have to become the recipient to immature belittling. If it wasn't for Ben, I would be done with the show.

Count me in

Sounds like a party is starting. We'll have to get a live chat room going or something.

Remember the General rules associated with Apfelwein though. :cross:

Drink some water in between shots and 1 liter before bed time with a couple of advil or aspirin and you will be fine in the morning....really..

I'm starting to think that bald headed judge is ruining the show. He's so dramatic with his comments and dumping the food. This guy seems to get pleasure by bringing an adult to tears. It think its stupid that being a contestant on the show requires that you have to become the recipient to immature belittling. If it wasn't for Ben, I would be done with the show.

Since Ben told us that he's intensely camera shy, watching this episode I took great pleasure in thinking that maybe he's close to pissing his pants every time he's on camera. So his blustering is really just the comments of a chicken****.

Some of us do already.;)

apfelwein22.jpg

apfellabel1_copy.jpg

... before bed time with a couple of advil or aspirin and you will be fine in the morning....really..

Isn't ibuprofen tough on the liver? I thought that's why they say don't take it w/ alcohol. Either way, take something.

I've got (my first) 10 gallons of apfelwein that haven't even been sampled yet, so guess I have no room to talk.

For now, I'll do shots of my smoked porter...... geez, this takes me back to my Century Club days in college.

That's Tylenol. I think that ibuprofen is cleared by the kidneys?

You're right. I was thinking of stomach problems. From the bottle:

"Ibuprofen may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. Alcohol may intensify these effects and increase the risk of accidental injury. Use of alcohol during ibuprofen therapy increases the risk of stomach irritation and bleeding. People taking ibuprofen should avoid alcohol."

I guess if you take it after the alcohol's out of your gut you'll be OK. I hardly ever take painkillers though. I figure the less damage they do to me, the more I can drink.

Edit: I guess all "drugs" are hard on the liver. http://www.pkids.org/files/pdf/phr/08-06whichpainkiller.pdf

Hey, friends! Thought I'd duck in for any questions that might have been posted...

"How is it seeing yourself on TV?"

Kooky. I guess I'm really overly dramatic in real life, but I get kinda annoyed seeing myself make all those faces. It's also surreal re-living traumatic experiences, while the people next to me are watching an entertaining show. I can't count the number of times I've been cringing and crying, while the people next to me are laughing. It's bizarre!

"And how much creative editing do they do to make things seem more dramtic than they are?"

Probably as much as you can imagine. I certainly won't deny that it's INCREDIBLY intense and dramatic when it really happened. But we don't break for commercials in the middle of cooking!

"Ben, what did you make for the lobster challenge? We never got to see your plate."

For the lobster challenge I did a Thai-style red curry with lobster and red peppers. I have a blog at benstarr.com that gives all the behind-the-scenes stuff...if you're into the show, you'll get a kick out of reading it. I always describe the dishes I made, whether they show them on the episode or not.

"I always wonder whether the chefs on masterchef come up with the recipes out of their head or if there are computers or cookbooks off screen to consult or if Gordon provides some lesson before the competition. I don't doubt the skills of the chefs but it seems like if you have NEVER made something before, like hollandaise, you would have something to guide you."

There is a resource room that we can study and socialize in when we're not filming. Some limited classes were provided, sometimes they had components that related to future challenges, sometimes they didn't. We were never blatantly taught how to make something that we later had a challenge on. It's impossible to prepare for something like a mystery box, when you have no idea what ingredients will pop up. And it's also practically impossible to prepare for an elimination test, when you have no idea what the themed ingredient will be, and what types of ingredients will be available in the pantry. As hard as it may be to imagine...we are largely "on our own" in the challenges.

As a shrewd contestant preparing for the show, one realizes they should be schooled in the fundamentals of classical cuisine. I had never made an eggs benedict until halfway through the audition process when it started to look like I might get on the show. So I practiced all the "mother sauces" (including hollandaise), re-learned the basics (making pasta, poaching an egg, cooking steaks to temp, filleting fish, etc.) Most of the other contestants did the same.

That's it for now! LOTS of excitement and drama to come. We're down to 8, I think!

Thanks for sharing Ben.
It's certainly interesting watching the program, and then seeing it again through the eyes of a contestant.
Best of Luck!

Wow...Ben found us and posts here? Cool.

Followup question: do you make your own hats? You seem to have an unlimited supply of different chef hats with fun patterns, so I have to assume someone is making them.

My mom made me 5 chef hats before I left. I ran out of them pretty quickly, so I stopped wearing them, and in that very next challenge I did terrible. Ramsay said, "You're sh-t without those damn hats, put them back on." But I didn't have any new ones, and my mom was in surgery and couldn't make me any.

So they took me to a Target and I bought a sewing machine and fabric...I had NO idea how to sew, and no pattern, but I kinda studied my mom's hats and did the best I could, and each night I'd make a new hat before filming the next day. Crazy...

My mom made me 5 chef hats before I left. I ran out of them pretty quickly, so I stopped wearing them, and in that very next challenge I did terrible. Ramsay said, "You're sh-t without those damn hats, put them back on." But I didn't have any new ones, and my mom was in surgery and couldn't make me any.

So they took me to a Target and I bought a sewing machine and fabric...I had NO idea how to sew, and no pattern, but I kinda studied my mom's hats and did the best I could, and each night I'd make a new hat before filming the next day. Crazy...

Now THAT is the kinda story we love to hear!!!!:D

Yeah, its too bad. He is a real *****enozzle. I said to SWMBO last night that I feel bad for his kids after he pushed Jennifr out of the way on the caramel. And he still wouldn't admit that he f-ed the sauce up! Then to say that kids wouldn't even notice. What a tool.

Yeah, its too bad. He is a real *****enozzle. I said to SWMBO last night that I feel bad for his kids after he pushed Jennifr out of the way on the caramel. And he still wouldn't admit that he f-ed the sauce up! Then to say that kids wouldn't even notice. What a tool.

"The caramel... It's like... Chunky."

"That is a very astute observation!"

LOL

Congrats again Ben keep it going.

Question does Jennifer and Christian really hate each other as much as the camera makes it seem or is it just being stuck together for an extended amount of time and getting on each other nerves and the cameras catching it?

I've never watched this show before last week.
Same with Hells Kitchen. Just never had an interest.

With no Tigers games on for the past 2 Monday nights, we watched and actually kind of liked both shows a little bit.

Had no idea Ben was a brewer. My wife was pulling for you right away Ben, I think it's the hats. haha

Best of luck through the rest of the season!

Revvy said:
Dammit, I thought Christian was gone.....

Hey Ben, in the preview for the next show, are you wearing one of your "new" hats that you sewed yourself?

I was cheering, then Ramsey said it was phenomenal...and my jaw dropped.

Good Job Red Team!!!

I think the 'real' stealth contestant is Tracy.
Ben is strong, Jennifer is too. But Tracy is just avoiding the confrontations, and moving forward.

Oh and Ben, you are invited to participate in The First HBT TamaleFIESTA , whenever Revvy and I get our acts together. Much like you, if the neighbors and friends know I have Tamales cooking --- they are quick to get in line for a dozen.

Good Job Red Team!!!

I think the 'real' stealth contestant is Tracy.
Ben is strong, Jennifer is too. But Tracy is just avoiding the confrontations, and moving forward.

Oh and Ben, you are invited to participate in The First HBT TamaleFIESTA , whenever Revvy and I get our acts together. Much like you, if the neighbors and friends know I have Tamales cooking --- they are quick to get in line for a dozen.

God, now I really gotta get my condo done and my kitchen usable. I forgot about our tamaleathon.

Found something kind of funny watch his video on how to make beer part one and at the end you see the picture that was on the show tonight.

Back