Homebrewer Ben Starr, finalist on Tv's Master Chef season 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew it was going to be you, dammit. Great Exit. Probably the best one of all of them so far. Full of grace.

Okay, now that you're out you can share more with us, eh? ANd I hope you'll still hang out with us on here.

We've all grown fond of you.

I'm gonna miss watching Ben on Mondays and Tuesdays.

I hope someone gives him a TV show on Food Network or the Cooking Channel. I'd watch it for sure.

Ben, are you listening? Get your ass back on TV!

Man, just picked up watching this show this week, because of this thread.

Kind of like showing up late in the game to watch your team lose from a bad call.

Ben man, you're a top notch man. Never seen anyone conduct themselves so (not to sound cheesy) honorably on a reality TV show. I guess I am going for Jen now. She is nice to look at, and any woman that can make a great meat loaf is great in my book.

I also have to say, that of all the TV celebs, I think Chef Ramsey would be the coolest person in the world to hang out with. I am sure you learned an invaluable amount of great tips and skills from him on this show.

Congrats on doing so well. But I agree with you... overcooking venison and you're a Texan?!?! ;) (I keed I keed).

I'm gonna miss watching Ben on Mondays and Tuesdays.

I hope someone gives him a TV show on Food Network or the Cooking Channel. I'd watch it for sure.

Ben, are you listening? Get your ass back on TV!

I'm sure he'd take the opportunity in a heartbeat to star in a TV show. Hopefully the publicity from masterchef can bring him some opportunities.

Wishing you all the best in your future endeavours Ben!!

Oh, one more question... is that ego maniac dude really as big a d!k as he seems, or are they just clipping that out of context to give the show a "villain"?

If that's how he really is, someone should smack him in the face with a tennis racket.

Oh, one more question... is that ego maniac dude really as big a d!k as he seems, or are they just clipping that out of context to give the show a "villain"?

If that's how he really is, someone should smack him in the face with a tennis racket.

I'm honestly thinking he'll place second. You know, the big villian gets defeated in a dramatic season finale. Otherwise there's not enough drama. And they seem to be pumping as much drama into it as they can.

Ben, hopefully you can offset my cynicism and say ensure us competition/judging isn't THAT staged ;)

I'm sad now.
I really hoped you would win.

Time to market your line of Colorful Chef Hats.
Perfect for the home cook, private chef or weekend BBQ maniac.
I know I'd buy a few. :rockin:

My Pillsbury Doughboy hat need to get retired soon. :)

its wasnt an advantage to win the shepards pie contest, it ended up hurting ben because they expected more from him and faulted him since he got to ask 3 questions.

the challenge also doesnt make sense since they only choose the top 3 dishes, yet the bottom dishes get no penelty. you can just make something you know they wont select, like chili, and you guarante to make it to the next round

Ben, you had a great run, and you brought a lot of fun to the show. It won't be the same without you, and I second (or third or fifth, whatever) the notion that you need to get back on tv to show us all how to improve our cooking.

If Texas kicks you out, consider Oregon. It's pretty awesome.

The Sheppard's pie looks amazing! We're still dying for the recipe. Hint hint.

Guess I have to cheer for Jen now...

the challenge also doesnt make sense since they only choose the top 3 dishes, yet the bottom dishes get no penelty. you can just make something you know they wont select, like chili, and you guarante to make it to the next round

Nobody gets eliminated in the mystery box round. There's no penalty for not getting picked, but there's no penalty for being picked and not winning either.

Ben, we will definitely miss you on the show. You were refreshingly un-*****ey on a brand of television that usually invites that kind of attitude. It was a lot of fun watching you do your thing, and I believe you will go on to do great things with food. Also, I have to mention that I think my wife had a somewhat religious experience when she saw your layered cake. Hope to see you around these parts more often - and I think I might even make pumpkin IPA as a tribute to your exit from the show. Cheers!

Hey folks! Still completely buried under the response from fans since getting eliminated. My benstarr.com inbox has over 8000 new messages in it.

8000?!?

I have no idea how I'm going to EVER get through all of that.

Thanks for all the support and humor you guys have given me through the run of the show. I am eager for life to calm back down so I can get back to brewing! My kegs are running dry from parties, and nothing new is in the primary!!! ACK!

Figured I'd answer a few questions:

-Christian is NOT a ********* in real life. He's actually quite likeable. ON set, he's a typical competitive chef. Once he walks outside the studio, he becomes super friendly, laid back, hippie, chill, delightful, funny guy. Everyone liked him all the way through filming, except perhaps Jennifer at the end. (Mostly because he called her "tits on a stick" on camera.)

-I actually don't remember how I made the shepherd's pie. It was the first one I ever made. I wrote down the recipe for them immediately after the challenge, and they will either publish it on the show's website, or in the second copy of the MasterChef magazine, which should come out next week in bookstores and grocery stores. I remember that I had 4 pots of stuff going at the same time, maybe more. It was tough pulling it together in an hour.

Ben, hopefully you can offset my cynicism and say ensure us competition/judging isn't THAT staged ;)

-I plea the 5th! Ha ha ha ha...

There are still LOTS of surprises left on MasterChef, so don't stop watching. You might even see my ugly mug again once or twice!

I had always thought that Shepherd's pie was lamb or mutton, and anything else along similar lines was cottage pie........What do I know though. I'm an eater, not a cooker. :)

benthegrate said:
Holy crap, I would NEVER survive Top Chef!!! That's for REAL chefs. I'm just a guy who cooks at home.

Shoot for The Next Food Network Star! You totally have the skill for that! It's sad to see you go. Just an idea, a Ben Starr cookbook? I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

I agree about Food Network Star, as much as it's become a reality tv drama bastardization in it's own right. It would be cool to see Ben have a shot at his own show.

Though I have a feeling with Ben's personality and charisma, a show's not too far down the line. I betcha he'll be on Foodnetwork or cooking channel before too long.

I just got caught up on episodes, and was crushed to see Ben leave. We thought for sure it was Adrian since his entire performance that show was poor.

Still rooting for Jennifer to beat out Christian though.

And, thanks for your humbleness, both on the show and here. I think that's one of the reasons we wanted you to win too.

Ben thanks again for sharing your experiences with us here. It's been a real special treat to be able to get the inside scoop. Best of luck with all you're future endeavors. Hope to continue to see you around HBT.:mug: And if you end up opening your dream place on the Big Island, you've got a customer here. The wife and I were there two years ago and we loved it. She's been driving me crazy pushing me to go back, perhaps permanently, ever since.

Damn Ben, it really was awesome watching you on there and it really sucks to see you go.

Okay, now that you're out you can share more with us, eh? ANd I hope you'll still hang out with us on here.

We've all grown fond of you.

+1000000

Time to market your line of Colorful Chef Hats.
Perfect for the home cook, private chef or weekend BBQ maniac.
I know I'd buy a few. :rockin:

I'd buy at least one.

I agree about Food Network Star, as much as it's become a reality tv drama bastardization in it's own right. It would be cool to see Ben have a shot at his own show.

Though I have a feeling with Ben's personality and charisma, a show's not too far down the line. I betcha he'll be on Foodnetwork or cooking channel before too long.

Never going to happen unless he is going to host another reality show. :mad:

Ok, I got another question for ya. I know you wouldn't be able to say anything about it, but how much did you know about things after you left and haven't been made public yet? Were you still able to talk to everyone or was it a surprise to you the two that were left when they bring everyone back for the last episode? You know who won?

Ok, I got another question for ya. I know you wouldn't be able to say anything about it, but how much did you know about things after you left and haven't been made public yet? Were you still able to talk to everyone or was it a surprise to you the two that were left when they bring everyone back for the last episode? You know who won?

Earlier Ben posted about how they are basically sequestered like a jury for the shoot. I know with Survivor and those shows, EVERYONE is kept under lock and key until the end of the taping. That way nobody comes home early, so no family or neighbors get to know what happened.
I'm sure he had a few NDA's to sign too so he wouldn't ruin the show until it ran on primetime.

I have no doubt he knows exactly who won this season, and I bet in a week or so when the winner is announced, he'll have more insight to share.

Yeah, I can't imagine how detailed and in depth the NDA was the he would have had to sign. I just assumed that when someone was kicked off that they could actually leave and go home but just couldn't say a word.

Congrats to Jennifer. That quail looked awesome.

Thanks for the spoiler, ass. :D

Just getting started on the West Coast.

And, I'm totally kidding about the "ass" comment. I know better than to check national websites if I'm at all concerned about time zone stuff with TV....

:mug:

Thanks for the spoiler, ass. :D

Just getting started on the West Coast.

And, I'm totally kidding about the "ass" comment. I know better than to check national websites if I'm at all concerned about time zone stuff with TV....

:mug:

I thought about the time zone issue. And then, partially due to the fact that I've been drinking, decided I didn't care :mug:

I liked both Jennifer and Adrian.

His stuff looked better to me tonight, but I would have been happy either way.

I would have love to see ben take it and achieve his dream. Adrien was my second, but I'm very happy with the result. They are both amazing cooks.

Back