Homebrew League

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's a competition on steroids.

This started out as a Grand Rapids area Round Robin League last year with 32 teams, 4 divisions, and 4-6 members per team, but this year has expanded to include entries from wherever. The format is now vastly different as well.

https://www.homebrewleague.us/

What do you think?

Last edited:
This is a really cool idea. Having homebrew clubs compete as teams is something I really get behind. I'll try to get my local club on board with participating.

Interesting...individuals can participate apparently, so those who aren't part of a brew club can play as well.

I read through the rules....are we buying a kit that we have to use, or are the recipe details listed someplace? Or is the price simply related to the prizes?

Unclear based on what I've read what we have to do....

Interesting...individuals can participate apparently, so those who aren't part of a brew club can play as well.

I read through the rules....are we buying a kit that we have to use, or are the recipe details listed someplace? Or is the price simply related to the prizes?

Unclear based on what I've read what we have to do....

IMO the rules are a bit unclear and are significantly different from last year, when it was a Grand Rapids area Round Robin league. From discussions with the creator, I gather that the Club Competitions are $29 each, and each club can submit up to 3 entries per comp.

In addition, individuals can compete in any of the other comps to score prizes and to contribute points to their Club's accumulated points. These comps are also $29 each, except for the Special ingredient comps, which cost $39 because the special ingredient is shipped to you. (I believe you are responsible for the majority of the base ingredients and will only be shipped the mandated ingredient.)

OK, here's the headscratcher. Looking at the German Pils competition that opened June 5, it costs $29 to enter. Prize list is limited to $250 in gift cards, if I read that right.

Who gets the remainder? The entries are limited to 100, which would mean $2900 in entry fees....$250 in gift cards....while it seems unlikely they'd reach the 100 mark, nonetheless it looks more like a money-making enterprise than a homebrew competition.

Forgive me, but it looks like I'm paying $29 for the right to ship two bottles of beer to someone for a competition. What am I missing here?

OK, here's the headscratcher. Looking at the German Pils competition that opened June 5, it costs $29 to enter. Prize list is limited to $250 in gift cards, if I read that right.

Who gets the remainder? The entries are limited to 100, which would mean $2900 in entry fees....$250 in gift cards....while it seems unlikely they'd reach the 100 mark, nonetheless it looks more like a money-making enterprise than a homebrew competition.

Forgive me, but it looks like I'm paying $29 for the right to ship two bottles of beer to someone for a competition. What am I missing here?

I haven't figured it all out myself. I think the premise is to have a Club that competes against other clubs. I think the grand prizes for the club competition is where the big winnings are. I believe the other comps are more to support that, but also have a chance for prizes as well.

IIRC the 5 entries that go to the BOS round pay out $25 in GC, and the BOS winner gets $125 in GC.

In the usual competitions, you might get a medal for going to BOS, and then a larger prize for winning it all. In this case it seems the big prizes are reserved for the end of the "season". Still not sure how the points tally up and when the season ends, and what the grand prizes will be.

My club is too small to participate realistically. I didn't look beyond the club requirements so I'm not sure what's up with those prizes. I just wanted others to have a look and see what they thought. I'd hate for someone to miss out on this if it looked fun. Maybe today I'll go back and see what I can find out about the end of season prizes.

Looks like the challenges have lowered prices. Most are now $25 down from $29, and the Specialty Ingredient Challenges are down to $35 from $39.

Would be interesting to see how many entries they get and who they are, and to follow along.

Latest posts

Back