Homebrew in 7 days! latest technology!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That list gives a lot of 'good' reasons to use this system, and a lot of 'bad' reasons to homebrew... but it neglects to mention:

Personal Brewing System $5660 NZ ($4406 US) vs Homebrewing system (much, much less).

Well at least it provided some lulz:

"Fermentation takes 4 days as our vessel is temperature controlled to a set-point for optimal yeast health." (So 4 days after a possible 2 day start to fermentation plus a couple weeks for the yeast to clean up?)

"Beer must be transferred off the sediment which oxidises the product greatly and creates off-flavours." (So the sediment magically contains oxygen that wasn't scrubbed or used/evolved?)

"Too much work. Multiple vessels and transfers required. Bottling homebrew takes many hours." (More like 45 minutes)

"No experience is required to make a good beer." (Because their system has zero trial and error)

"Perfect temperature control during fermentation so yeast doesn’t make off-flavours or headache-causing compounds." (Ethanol?)

"No beer transfers, so no beer oxidation. This is technically the freshest beer in the world." (In the world, people... in the world............. technically.)

"Old yeast is stored warm under the can lid which ensures a huge loss of vitality and viability, resulting in more homebrew flavours." (... if you use canned kits.)

Basically doing the same thing the kit people do to sell more kits: make the act of brewing seem impossibly simple (don't get me wrong, it's easy, but the reasoning on this ad site is ridiculous.)

EDIT: Oh, and I didn't notice the ludicrous price before. Great deal

it certainly is creative. perfect for the rich person who doesent like to apreciate the fruites (or beers) of their labors.

Coopers/Mr Beer on a millionaires budget is what I thought when I saw it on the news.

A clarification system
After fermentation the beer is cold and carbonated but it's still hazy and needs some extra clarification. But because we've developed a pressurised fermentation system that self-carbonates (so that we could eliminate the weeks long secondary carbonation step homebrewers have to do) we've needed to develop a beer clarification system that works under pressure. So the WilliamsWarn has a well-designed system that allows 50ml of a special clarification agent to be forced into the beer and mixed well for about 10 seconds, whilst the whole tank is still under pressure. The remaining yeast cells and beer haze then all fall into the sediment bottle under the tank, which then gets removed. This helps clear the beer without us having to move the beer, which has resulted in us being able to invent the first all-in-one brewing machine. Everything occurs in one tank instead of many tanks, kegs and bottles.

Any idea what they're using as a clarification agent?

Over $4K US for an extract-only system? Can't see them selling many of these, even in NZ. Plus, their comparison of "Personal Brewing vs. Homebrewing" incorporates many things that someone who uses the proper brewing practices simply isn't going to experience. And there are some things in there that, as Mark Twain said, "-just ain't so." For example, I bottle a 5 gallon batch in about 90 minutes. Where they get 3-4 hours is beyond me.

For me, after going AG, this gadget is excluded a priori on the grounds that it won't give me the flexibility and economy I now enjoy. If I was going to get a commercial brewing machine today, it would be the Speidels Braumeister.

I somehow don't see homebrew tasting like homebrew being a problem. Of course if you want your finished product to taste like commercial beer which they state as a positive thing, then why are you brewing in the first place? Go buy a sixer and STFU!!!

and their kits are a basic kit for 50$$$$. with dry yeast? that is a bit much. I can get similar from midwest with liquid yeast for about 10-15 less

it's a joke right? Really.. who would buy that? If you have unlimited money and want beer on tap and don't want to be hassled with the work of brewing just buy some kegs of good commercial beer.

Looks like the ultimate Mr Beer for people with more money than sense.

Good luck to them though. Hope they make millions. No skin off my teeth.

You're not really making beer, the system is doing it for you. What's the point? Take that money and visit your favorite beer cities instead.

I think it's worth noting that we're not the target market for this product. Yeah, it's Mr Beer all shiny, but that's the point.

NZ, where this product is based, has (like most Commonwealth nations) a high consumer tax on beverage alcohol. Money drives the homebrew market, not necessarily quality: If you pay the equivalent of US$5 per glass of lager beer, homebrew becomes much more driven by personal economics than our focus on esoterica.

Frankly, for those people, an investment in a machine like this will pay itself off rather rapidly. It's expensive, but it's all in one; hell, that beats the pants off Mr Beer! If all I wanted was cold beer, and I had the dosh to throw at this machine, I'd have one like a shot!

And I don't know there's too much to sniff at, either. I freely admit to mixing up pre-hopped, tinned extract kits when I either run low or see hot weather coming. Methinks those who protest too loudly against them have something to hide. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

I think it's worth noting that we're not the target market for this product. Yeah, it's Mr Beer all shiny, but that's the point.

NZ, where this product is based, has (like most Commonwealth nations) a high consumer tax on beverage alcohol. Money drives the homebrew market, not necessarily quality: If you pay the equivalent of US$5 per glass of lager beer, homebrew becomes much more driven by personal economics than our focus on esoterica.

Frankly, for those people, an investment in a machine like this will pay itself off rather rapidly. It's expensive, but it's all in one; hell, that beats the pants off Mr Beer! If all I wanted was cold beer, and I had the dosh to throw at this machine, I'd have one like a shot!

And I don't know there's too much to sniff at, either. I freely admit to mixing up pre-hopped, tinned extract kits when I either run low or see hot weather coming. Methinks those who protest too loudly against them have something to hide. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Bob tell us the truth now, you consulted on this project, didn't you? :D

I bet you wish you did....

I dunno, it kinda reminds me of this....
How to brew beer in a coffee maker

Wait, that packet of yeast under the lid of my can of extract isn't quality?!!?

What is "sterilisation"? There's no way I'm going to give 4,000 dollars to someone that can't use spellcheck.

I like the fact that their conclusion is:
Code:
Personal brewing                              Homebrewing
....                                          ...
Result: Tastes like commercial beer.          Result: Tastes like homebrew.

Like commercial beer(makes me think of bud light and such) is a positive thing. :D

I like the fact that their conclusion is:
Code:
Personal brewing                              Homebrewing
....                                          ...
Result: Tastes like commercial beer.          Result: Tastes like homebrew.

Like commercial beer(makes me think of bud light and such) is a positive thing. :D

Again, context is key. And you're missing it. ;)

Read ALL of their literature (I did) and you'll arrive at the conclusion that homebrewing in NZ isn't as advanced as what we know. Primarily that's because homebrewing is a substitute for buying commercial beer - homebrewers want to drink commercial beer but it's too expensive relative to homebrew. So they try to clone their favorite commercial beers (or at least brew something close). Those attempts fail, generally.

No, Revvy, I didn't come up with this machine. You're right - I wish I had! :cross:

Bob

"Perfect temperature control during fermentation so yeast doesn’t make off-flavours or headache-causing compounds." (Ethanol?)

They are actually referring to fusel alcohols, which are widely believed to be the cause of headaches after a night of drinking. Studies have been done, but nothing proves conclusively one way or another if fusels are the culprit. I imagine their system properly cools the wort to pitching temp prior to adding the yeast, which helps to decrease fusel alcohol production, which generally occurs early in the fermentation process, likely due to inadequate cooling prior to pitching as fusels will be produced more at higher temps.

I wonder if the system uses pressure at all to help drive fermentation to completion faster?

It's definitely not a product I see taking off state side, but as Bob pointed out, things aren't the same in the rest of the world as they are here.

To be as serious as the subject allows, and since we DO have a number of our cousins who post to this forum, as Shaw said "-separated by a common language," it might be well to remember that English, that wonderful amalgam of Anglo-Saxon, Latin, and French, is an uncommonly flexible and useful tool, but it's also a messy beast, as any non-native speaker who's tried to learn it can attest. Part of the "messiness" is any number of alternative spellings, as well as hundreds of spellings deemed obsolescent by some, but which are still in use by many. Those in the British Commonwealth may well use "criticise" just as they would "sterilise," and yet in cases like this we all get the drift, and so it's just as well to let it pass.

NB*: I am not advocating the use or tolerance of extreme ungrammatical posts, gratuitous neologisms or textspeak (or maybe that's "txtspk") in a forum where specific and precise information is valued.

(NB = l. nota bene, note well.)

NB is really spelled "N.B.". :mug: or, if mid-sentence, "n.b.". :mug:

M_C
NB*: I am not advocating the use or tolerance of extreme ungrammatical posts, gratuitous neologisms or textspeak (or maybe that's "txtspk") in a forum where specific and precise information is valued.

(NB = l. nota bene, note well.)

Cheers,

Bob

I pay $5 for a pint of lager here. Money isn't really a driving force for my homebrewing though, I'm always wasting (ahem, investing) money on the hobby.

Buying beer in New Zealand isn't quite as expensive as one might think. You can buy cheap beer for around US80c US a bottle or the sorts of "commercial" beers the site refers to for less than US$1.20 so it will take a long long time to pay itself off, especially with the cost of the kits. In New Zealand I know of a few people that homebrew (outsite of my brewclub) using Coopers kits which cost less than US$10 for 23L of beer. Craft beer is certainly on the way up here like never before so I could see a market for high quality set ups for people who are interested in going to AG but would rather buy a rig than build one from scratch but I cant see the people who like to point out the beer I'm drinking cost 50c to make been interested in this system at that cost. I think the inventors have seen a rise in interest in beer and connected that with the idea that homebrewing cheap beer has been popular in NZ for decades and think that this is largely the same group of people. I don't think it is as big breweries are losing market share to smaller craft breweries much like I expect happened in the US in the late 80s. The worst part is that the government apparently donated US$150,000+ of taxpayer money to assist with this breakthrough :mad:

Back