Minnesota Homebrew Con 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrE_the_Great

Reaction score
So excited this is in Minneapolis! With family there and it an acceptable distance away from home, I can swing the cost of attending finally!

Thanks for letting me vent! :mug:

CANNOT WAIT!

Yup. It's a tad bit pricey overall to do it, but I suspect this will be the once-in-a-lifetime event for me. At 250 miles away, it's doable. A bunch of other crazy Iowans will be there, too. Look for us. ;)

Just signed up. Was kind of on the fence, but it's closer than it's likely to be in a while and it's a hell of a good time.

Trying to pick a Hotel with some people I know. And more importantly, the hotel closest to where the bus tour will be dropping us off!

Signed up yesterday. Very excited to be going. Expensive, I agree, but I'm optimistic I'll see that as money well spent in hindsight.

Ugh. Just reserved the Hotel. Ouch. This is almost as bad as my wife's annual family vacation to Chicago for the Supernatural Convention!

Thinking about asking some others to share the room to help with the cost, but I reserved a single King bed. I might not care as much at the end of each convention night, but right now that doesn't sound appealing.

Just signed up. Was kind of on the fence, but it's closer than it's likely to be in a while and it's a hell of a good time.

Trying to pick a Hotel with some people I know. And more importantly, the hotel closest to where the bus tour will be dropping us off!

Soper and Eric are at the Millenium, as I am. I'm not sure where many of the others are staying, but it's more like Grand Rapid where the hotels are close around the venue than some other places where "the" host hotel was the hotel to be at.

Soper and Eric are at the Millenium, as I am. I'm not sure where many of the others are staying, but it's more like Grand Rapid where the hotels are close around the venue than some other places where "the" host hotel was the hotel to be at.

Awesome! We're staying at the Millenium too!

I'll have to come up with a way to make sure I can find Soper. He blends in so very well... ;)

I'll have to come up with a way to make sure I can find Soper. He blends in so very well... ;)

With the carpet, you mean.

He did tell me that he picked the Millenium because the floors aren't quite as hard as the others, so when he falls/passes out it's not as uncomfortable.

I think that's a real selling point, and should be listed in their amenities.

Signed up. This will be the only time I will get to go because it is within driving distance. Looking forward to it.

Chop and Brew (Chip Walton)/Brulosophy (Marshall Schott) and Insight Brewing are having a event Weds June 14th. $30 that includes 3 beers/tour. You can also bring homebrew BUT IT HAS TO BE REGISTERED. MN LAWS ARE KIND OF STRICT ON THAT. Here is a link https://www.facebook.com/events/100...feed_story_type":"regular","action_history":"[%7B%5C%22surface%5C%22%3A%5C%22newsfeed%5C%22%2C%5C%22mechanism%5C%22%3A%5C%22feed_story%5C%22%2C%5C%22extra_data%5C%22%3A[]%7D]%22%2C%22has_source%22%3Atrue%7D&source=3&source_newsfeed_story_type=regular&action_history=[%7B%22surface%22%3A%22newsfeed%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22feed_story%22%2C%22extra_data%22%3A[]%7D]&has_source=1&hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Anyone looking to do an in person trade. I have Dark lord going back to 12, this years BCBS prop, veritas from this past year and some other randos. I can post amore comprehensive list if anyone is interested.

Just started a thread on the General Beer discussion. Haven't seen much chatter on HBC.

Our club will be pouring at club night. Hope to meet some of you guys.

Schemy and I will be rolling through Decorah, IA to hit up Toppling Goliath and Pulpit Rock Brewing on our way to Homebrew Con. We will be there Tuesday afternoon.

Anyone interested in having a few beers?

this will be our first time going to this event because of how close it is to milwaukee.
how do these events go? any tips?
should i bring some WI/Milwaukee beers or homebrews to share/trade?

this will be our first time going to this event because of how close it is to milwaukee.
how do these events go? any tips?
should i bring some WI/Milwaukee beers or homebrews to share/trade?

The Homebrew Con website has some pretty good tips. Mostly you want to make sure to carry a glass around with you (Use the sample glass they give you and keep in in your lanyard!) because there is beer to try EVERYWHERE.

And remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint (Except for certain bus tours and Club Night...) ;)

Take small samples and drink plenty of water too.

Check the area that showcases equipment, etc. They have SCHWAG to give out, contests, etc. Lots of neat stuff to look at.

You will get a care package with your pass, SCHWAG, glass, schedule, etc. when you arrive and check into the convention. You might get commemorative beers from local brewery(s).

Wear a Homebrewtalk sticker or something and see if you can find other HBT members.

There are lots of homebrew "Celebrities" attending, usually, like Palmer, Strong, Mosher, Papazian, etc. If you've ever wanted to ask them a question, or thank them in person, it's a great opportunity for that.

The Homebrew Con website has some pretty good tips. Mostly you want to make sure to carry a glass around with you (Use the sample glass they give you and keep in in your lanyard!) because there is beer to try EVERYWHERE.

And remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint (Except for certain bus tours and Club Night...) ;)

Take small samples and drink plenty of water too.

Check the area that showcases equipment, etc. They have SCHWAG to give out, contests, etc. Lots of neat stuff to look at.

You will get a care package with your pass, SCHWAG, glass, schedule, etc. when you arrive and check into the convention. You might get commemorative beers from local brewery(s).

Wear a Homebrewtalk sticker or something and see if you can find other HBT members.

There are lots of homebrew "Celebrities" attending, usually, like Palmer, Strong, Mosher, Papazian, etc. If you've ever wanted to ask them a question, or thank them in person, it's a great opportunity for that.

I will be handing out some of those HBT "business cards" that we had a couple of years ago- I have some left- and a few stickers and maybe I might have a few surprises tucked away for HBT members. So if you want to come find me, that would be great!

If anyone wants my phone number, PM me and I'll get it to you. I love meeting up with people from the forum.

We moved our reservation to the Hyatt, because my friend (who doesn't brew) wants to be at the place with the best gym so she can work out in the mornings while I do seminars. Since I have no intention of setting foot in the gym, I don't really care where we are.

I will be handing out some of those HBT "business cards" that we had a couple of years ago- I have some left- and a few stickers and maybe I might have a few surprises tucked away for HBT members. So if you want to come find me, that would be great!

If anyone wants my phone number, PM me and I'll get it to you. I love meeting up with people from the forum.

We moved our reservation to the Hyatt, because my friend (who doesn't brew) wants to be at the place with the best gym so she can work out in the mornings while I do seminars. Since I have no intention of setting foot in the gym, I don't really care where we are.

Are there any plans for HBT meetups? hopjunkie told me about Wednesday, but that is the same time as the Chop n Brew deal.

Are there any plans for HBT meetups? hopjunkie told me about Wednesday, but that is the same time as the Chop n Brew deal.

There's usually a generic forum meetup thing around lunch on Friday. Started out as an AHA forum thing, but it's pretty free form.

We don't have anything formal set up for a meet up- but generally there are a number of us around. We do try to have lunch or dinner together in small groups, but it's pretty loose and not really organized.

I will try to remember to put a HBT sticker on me somewhere, in case someone wants to say "Hi". I will also be sticking them randomly on others who aren't me, though.

I got some of those stickers and cards left over too. I'll try to remember to bring them.

And we had reservations where you were staying. Kris was excited to be able to be so close. I'll have to ask her if she wants to change too. I'm not picky, personally. I'll be happy wherever there is some form of bed to sleep on and running water for shower.

I got some of those stickers and cards left over too. I'll try to remember to bring them.

And we had reservations where you were staying. Kris was excited to be able to be so close. I'll have to ask her if she wants to change too. I'm not picky, personally. I'll be happy wherever there is some form of bed to sleep on and running water for shower.

I'm the same way- sort of wanted the Millenium, but since Jean really wanted to work out in the "nicer" gym, I went with it because I really don't care.

We will be leaving Saturday, before noon, to head home. She wants to get back a day earlier than I hoped, but I'm still glad to have someone to share the expenses with for the room so I said that would work for me.

Found it on the schedule:
Saturday, June 17th
Online Homebrew Forums Meet & Greet 12:45 pm – 1:45 pm Social Club, Hall E

So is that a generic meetup for all online groups? I wonder if I should push that on some of the (yes, sorry, competing) Facebook groups out there as well?

I'm sure no one cares, but if you want to see me, look for the Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts serving at Social and Club events. I might serve at both, but definitely will do at least one or the other.

I'm sort of perturbed in that I didn't get the e-mail from Chop N' Bru about the event, but I do have a valid Eventbrite ticket that I printed today, so they would have to throw me out at this point! :) . And even more so that my two keg tags were never mailed to me from the AHA even though I got a shipping confirmation on 5/13. Is this thing generally this disorganized or am I just that unlucky?

I might be bringing a third keg -- probably will just make the turnaround on it-- and maybe some mead to the Chop N' Bru thing (I've not sampled it yet..2 year old stuff that I forgot about in the corner of my basement) so maybe I just need to Will Call all three tags for the Club Night and Social? Anyone with experience willing to comment on this?

It will be nice meeting any and all of you.

Fred

So is that a generic meetup for all online groups? I wonder if I should push that on some of the (yes, sorry, competing) Facebook groups out there as well?

I'm sure no one cares, but if you want to see me, look for the Cedar Rapids Beer Nuts serving at Social and Club events. I might serve at both, but definitely will do at least one or the other.

I'm sort of perturbed in that I didn't get the e-mail from Chop N' Bru about the event, but I do have a valid Eventbrite ticket that I printed today, so they would have to throw me out at this point! :) . And even more so that my two keg tags were never mailed to me from the AHA even though I got a shipping confirmation on 5/13. Is this thing generally this disorganized or am I just that unlucky?

I might be bringing a third keg -- probably will just make the turnaround on it-- and maybe some mead to the Chop N' Bru thing (I've not sampled it yet..2 year old stuff that I forgot about in the corner of my basement) so maybe I just need to Will Call all three tags for the Club Night and Social? Anyone with experience willing to comment on this?

It will be nice meeting any and all of you.

Fred

The grogtag thing was totally new to me, and I got mine at least a week ago. so I can't answer the question about that. You should have received your tags, but when you turn in the kegs they can tag them then. The tags in advance just help with organization for them.

The Chop n' Bru thing is new, so I can't comment on that. I do a Wednesday thing with some of the people from HBT and other friends, and that's the high point of my NHC.

My first NHC was in 2008 and every year I have "the best time ever". I love hanging out with 4000 of my closest friends! I'll be busy not volunteering or participating much in this years event, and hoping to meet as many of my imaginary friends as I can. If you see me, grab me and say hi, please!

Oh, I forgot to answer about this!

It is a generic meet up.

But............the last time, it was about 30 AHA forum people and a few others (maybe a dozen or so). The AHA forum members were all celebratory and taking pictures and ignored the rest of the others milling around looking for someone to talk to. I said "Hi" to a few of my friends, and got the heck out of there. It was hugely uncomfortable for those of us not in the "in" crowd. If you could crash it and feel comfortable, you would probably be ok with it. It was just weird. Like, someone actually said, "OK, AHA forum members, let's take a group photo", and while I am technically a member there, and sort of started to walk over, it was a real "Oh, NOT you guys" type of reception. Like I said, just uncomfortable and weird. Since that is the antithesis of everything I ever experienced at the NHC, I don't plan on repeating and wasting my time.

And while it's open to all, of course, no one actually approached HBT with a "Hey, HBT, join us in an online forum meet n' greet", except for Denny mentioning it. Now, I like Denny very much and he's sincere. But a "real" effort for a total online forum meet 'n greet would probably come from an actual forum invitation.

Oh, I forgot to answer about this!

It is a generic meet up.

But............the last time, it was about 30 AHA forum people and a few others (maybe a dozen or so).

San Diego? The AHA forums were a LOT more active at that point. I don't expect this one to be like that one (yeah, it was a bit strange since I wasn't as active on the AHA forum at that time). I would expect it to be more like Baltimore last year where there were probably just as many not active on the AHA forum as those that were.

San Diego? The AHA forums were a LOT more active at that point. I don't expect this one to be like that one (yeah, it was a bit strange since I wasn't as active on the AHA forum at that time). I would expect it to be more like Baltimore last year where there were probably just as many not active on the AHA forum as those that were.

And Grand Rapids (which was worse, although it was three years ago and things have changed I'm sure).

I will miss it this year, as I"m pretty sure we're leaving before then. I'll have to get my "meet up" experiences more randomly. I had to choose between staying Wednesday night or Saturday night, since my friend can leave her cat three nights but not four (?). Since the SoperTour is Wednesday, no way can we miss that, so we have to skip Saturday afternoon/evening/night. Can't wait! :ban:

Huh, I don't remember anything like that about San Diego. I recall there several to a little over a dozen people there at any time, I talked to perhaps three of them, and most people seemed to be engrossed in a Brulosophy experiment. I wouldn't really consider it a success from what I saw. Seemed like most people forgot it was happening.

Baltimore I just kept pouring as fast as possible (this stuff aint gonna drink itself!) then hid in the back come picture time like always.

Grand Rapids? - that was the first year, most people forgot about the event, not many showed up, and I didn't experience anything like Yooper mentioned. *shrug*

I don't know about a specific meet up, but I plan to meet and drink with a bunch of people. I just want to get around a bunch of other homebrew geeks and geek out.

And Grand Rapids (which was worse, although it was three years ago and things have changed I'm sure).

I didn't do Grand Rapids since I didn't know about when it was until afterwards.

I will miss it this year, as I"m pretty sure we're leaving before then. I'll have to get my "meet up" experiences more randomly. I had to choose between staying Wednesday night or Saturday night, since my friend can leave her cat three nights but not four (?). Since the SoperTour is Wednesday, no way can we miss that, so we have to skip Saturday afternoon/evening/night. Can't wait! :ban:

Well, you know what I look like. lol I am going to be on the rejects bus for the slow people. :mug:

I didn't do Grand Rapids since I didn't know about when it was until afterwards.

Well, you know what I look like. lol I am going to be on the rejects bus for the slow people. :mug:

Well...................I'm bringing a keg of mediocre IPA for the bus of #1s, so I'd suggest elbowing a slower moving #1 out of the way. Not everybody will get a pint of this mediocre Yooper's This Isn't Very Great But I'm the Only One Bringing Beer So Shut UP and Drink It IPA (YTIVGBIOOBBSSUDI IPA for short or STFU IPA for shorter). I'm pretty sure it'll be a one-off and a limited edition.

Or, since it looks like many of the coolest kids will be on the rejects bus, maybe Jean and I can become slow people and join YOU.

And I think most of ya'll may be able to recognize me but if not I'll be the person with a beer glass in my hand, with cargo shorts, teva sandals, and no beard.

Well...................I'm bringing a keg of mediocre IPA for the bus of #1s, so I'd suggest elbowing a slower moving #1 out of the way. Not everybody will get a pint of this mediocre Yooper's This Isn't Very Great But I'm the Only One Bringing Beer So Shut UP and Drink It IPA (YTIVGBIOOBBSSUDI IPA for short or STFU IPA for shorter). I'm pretty sure it'll be a one-off and a limited edition.

Or, since it looks like many of the coolest kids will be on the rejects bus, maybe Jean and I can become slow people and join YOU.

I'll definitely try to nab some STFU IPA. I'll be bringing some stuff from my cellar to try and clear it out. Might have some homebrew if I manage to can a few by Sunday.

Okay then. Well, I need to start figuring out schedule. I'll try to make it by that meeting if it works out. I kind of get a kick out of the "mediocre" comment. This time of year is just bat #@$@ crazy for me and I'm bringing three kegs. They are all okay. But I'm reading on other sites, that their so and so club is bringing 30 beers, all NHC award winners, etc. So I am almost wondering why I bothered. We have a whale from our club too (the F--- Your Face IPA) but the brewer himself can't go!

If I had time to consistently make award winners (which I am capable of), I'd probably use that time for something else anyway. So I'll have three mediocre beers at Homebrew Con and one mediocre mead at Chop N Bru.

If you don't like it, don't drink it! But that is my general opinion of beer judging anyway. Humans have too much confirmation bias IMHO to fairly judge things like beer.

But the pressure is on. Everyone in the club is saying that we need 20-30 beers and they all have to be awesome. Yup. Sure. Whatever.

........and..... guess what? My club was the first to sign up so we got the first social serving slot. For a half and hour Thursday morning, that's all you'll get! ;) No pressure there. You'll have to wait a half an hour if you get there first thing and don't like our beers! (but you will, don't worry)

I also found out that since my tags got lost in the mail, my kegs have to ride with me and can't go into the club trailer because they can't go into the event's cold storage. Joy. Bigger vehicle is now planned for the carpool.

So, one last snipe and then I will let it go. For $255, which is expensive for a hobby convention, it sure is disorganized so far. Hopefully all will be much better next Wed/Thurs...

See you all there.

Fred

Back