Homebrew Comp -- suggestion for which category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolinaMatt

Reaction score
Hi All-

Entering a local homebrew competition that follows 2015 BJCP for style registration.

Will be dropping off my entries on Friday and was looking for feedback on which categories to enter them in to.

I brewed:
hoppy blonde ale (blonde ale base with 3 oz dry hop)

peanut butter cup imperial stout

Any suggestion on which categories to enter each in to?

My initial thought is either 34B mixed style or 34C experimental. Thinking 18A for american blonde ale will not work as there is just too much hop character. I know I did not brew exactly to style, but still want feedback on them to improve and think it can at least fit in to a category.

Thanks!
-Matt

Hoppy blondes are tough to enter, you could try mixed style. The Porter should go into SHV-30A.

Hoppy blondes are tough to enter, you could try mixed style. The Porter should go into SHV-30A.
Appreciate the quick response! Sounds good for the peanut butter cup -- It requires labeling/mentioning the specific ingredient for that one. So even though powdered peanut butter and cacao nibs (at least I don't think) are considered a spice, herb or vegetable... are they?

Thanks!

30A is correct for the stout. For example, under "Commercial Examples" on the BJCP style guidelines for this category it lists Young's Double Chocolate Stout as an example.

The hoppy Blonde is a tougher one. If the hop aroma is not punching you in the face, I would still enter it as a Blonde. Are there extra hops in the boil or just the dry hop? IBU?

30A is correct for the stout. For example, under "Commercial Examples" on the BJCP style guidelines for this category it lists Young's Double Chocolate Stout as an example.

The hoppy Blonde is a tougher one. If the hop aroma is not punching you in the face, I would still enter it as a Blonde. Are there extra hops in the boil or just the dry hop? IBU?
only 23 IBUs - the base recipe is for my american blonde. Then dry hopped for a week with 1 oz centennial, 1oz citra, 1oz cascade. It's a nice touch, but not toooo crazy hop forward.

Depending on ABV, you could have a 12A British Golden Ale, although US judges may not be up to date on how that style is evolving out in the wild.

Chocolate/cocoa/cacao and peanut butter are textbook for Spice/Herv/Vegetable. Explicitly stated as such in the guidelines (though you have to read the full form PDF guidelines, the 2015 guidelines apps miss WAY too much information).

I'd also be inclined to enter your Blonde as English Golden Ale. It fits the bill.

But it depends on how it's perceived, not what you intended. And a Blonde can have a fairly prominent hop character in the first place (though not to the level of other US styles).

If the bitterness is upper end of a Blonde, American Pale Ale could also be an option.

And if none of the above work, I'd go Mixed Style (combo Blonde and APA) as a last resort (specifying the late hop overlap to an otherwise Blonde). I've seen entrants do this during the hoppy Saison trend (Saison hopped like APA).

Thank you everyone for the input and suggestions! Since I was allotted for just two entries I put the hoppy blonde in 18A and the imperial peanut butter cup stout in 30A S/H/V. Competition is next Saturday -- patiently will be awaiting the results!

Hi All!

Ended up placing 2nd in 18A American Blonde for my hoppy blonde. Thanks all for the suggestions! The Peanut Butter Cup stout was mentioned to be a tad of out category which was my bad listing it as an imperial when it probably more drinks like a regular stout, but was stil fine for being in 30A
IMG_9897.jpg
. Lesson learned!

that's really cool!

Wanna post the recipe? I'd give it a go.

Back