Homebrew Clubs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freshhoarse

Reaction score
I've been kinda a "lone wolf" brewer (except for HBT) and I'd like to know some opinions on how being involved in a club has affected/effected you as a brewer... both positively AND negatively ... GO ---

I am a "casual" member of my club. Make the meeting when I can and that is about it. I was a little intimidated the first time I brought my beers but quickly found there is a wide range of beers. Some good.....some not so much. It helped me gain confidence in my beers and brewing. My club is pretty "laid back" and when we meet it is really just to taste each others beers. All in all it has been a very positive experience. Who else are you going to talk to about oxygenation, yeast starters, and hopping techniques?

I'm pretty much a lone brewer as well. I have one friend who brews, but we have only brewed together once.
I went to two Urban Knaves of Grain meetings, and they were very beneficial. I did not meet any "Know-it-alls" as I had feared. The meetings were rather large: 30+ guys (couple of women).
They had a speaker at one from Germany taqlking about a style, but I don't remeber. Also, they had a commercail porter tasting as a preview to a club porter competition.
I have stopped going due to the distance I had to travel. I would like to have a small group who meets in my town.

The club I participate in (Arizona Society of Hombrewers) has awesome events throughout the year as well as monthly meetings. I've only made it to one meeting, but I'll never miss a spring-fest or oktoberfest. Such great times are hard to find, or quantify.

I also really like going to brew-outs where one of our LHBS provides water and ice for the brew day, and the club usually brings meat for the grill. It's a great way to see how other people work, and spend a day.

I've considered joining a brew club, but I don't generally like people. Heh. That, and I'm too busy brewing my own. I've got my own barrel to fill.

I equate my homebrew club with a Star Wars convention. There are going to be really cool guys there, but mostly you're surrounded by snobby nerds.

I am in a very laid back, informal 'club' if you want to call it that... Basically a bunch of homebrewing goofballs who occasionally get together and sample each others' fares, attend homebrew comps and local brewery events or have a group brewday at someone's place...

The good : getting opinions on your beers, learning other people's processes, advice on equipment / set ups, grain buys, general good times.

The bad : can be club politics to deal with, dues, snobbery, general discord...

Just go hang at a few clubs and get a feel for them...

Back