Homebrew as barter item when our currency is worthless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many things to comment on, but alas, I will try to stay ON TOPIC.

It's like this here; there IS a conspiracy. They are printing money under a mountain in Colorado, somewhere, right now. Only the Libs know where. It's the new EuroDollar. It is to be the new currency when all of Greater America is One. Y'know, Canada, North America, Mexico and Central America, and South America. This is why the Colombian trade deal was so important. This is the New World Order that they have been alluding to. What's going to happen is that all Federal Law will become American Union Law. They are wanting to build the new American Highway. It's why they don't want to stop illegal immigration, since we will all be of the same State. All of the current workers will be driven back to destitution, like way back in the Middle Ages. Guns won't matter because there will be no way to get ammo. It will be available, it will just be taxed so high that only the Elites will be able to buy it. Blackwater just changed their name to Xe, and they will be the Guard that controls the peasants. It has been happening little by little but now, it has started to accelerate really quickly. They used the Wars to get the military out of the country, and now Blackwater, Xe, rather, is poised to take control. Brewing supplies have already started to be controlled, just look at BMW.

They are allowing the food to be poisoned. The terrorists just made the change easier, as everyone was looking that way, while They were starting the changes in the other direction.

Manual skills will rank as supreme skills once again. Computer skills and IT will cease to have any relevance in the New Reality. The space satellites that supposedly collided was an overt act of war, but it's being hushed up, while both sides prepare their responses. Had not there been debris sightings in the sky so soon after, no one would have even known. All the things that they said might happen, are happening.

So, no, brewing will be done by each family, due to the difficulty of finding good water. Each family will be on it's own. Bartering was valid back in the days of docile civilization, but this will be a new, savage existence. Spears, knives, bow and arrows will be the difference in eating and starving, be it by defense or by hunting. While the water is mainly in the Great Lakes, the cold will cause the new peasant class to migrate to the mid-west. Those in the SW will have no water, and there will be mass rioting until all the water runs out.

I was told this stuff by a guy I work with. He listens to Glen Beck, and listens to a lot of podcasts from experts on the subject.

I'm not so sure about sticks and bows and arrows. There are far too many things out there to be salvaged and worked with. I know about 10 people that can make ammo for my gun so I believe I have that covered. I have a decent garden going and I know how to hunt. I believe that if the system does go down that having brewing, growing, hunting, fishing, basic survival experience will help greatly.

As far as I'm concerned, there are too many people who rely on starbucks, walmart, and whole foods to get by. Those are the people who will be coming to guys like me (us) for what they need to get by. (so pretty much everyone in NY and LA will die)

I say, ask someone who lives in montana or south dakota if they care if the lights go out and the cable gets shut off. I sure don't.

They are printing money under a mountain in Colorado, somewhere, right now. Only the Libs know where.

Can you buy ink futures...?

Why call the currency "EuroDollar"?
I liked the "Amero better", smells of tequila and hot chicks hanging out topless... what's not to like?

(Besides, I think Eurodollar it's already taken(?))

Can you buy ink futures...?

Why call the currency "EuroDollar"?
I liked the "Amero better", smells of tequila and hot chicks hanging out topless... what's not to like?

(Besides, I think Eurodollar it's already taken(?))

You are right and I stand corrected. He said Amero.

My wife and I are becoming as self sufficent as we can. We are buying land, I am starting a small farm, we grow our own food, building a root cellar, try and make everything we can because 1) we feel our, ahem... "free market" system has turned into a morally deplorable system and we want to be independent from it as much as possible, and 2) we don't know how much longer it will be around anyway. I was just wondering how many other homebrewers are thinking that tasty brew will make an excellent means of exchange when TSHTF, and brew there own to get away from the system of economic slavery we are currently under. Alcohol consumption goes up during times of civil unrest.

In no circumstance is your cash ever worthless. There is always a market for our cash - just use that free market you hate so much to trade in foreign currencies.

My wife and I are becoming as self sufficent as we can. We are buying land, I am starting a small farm, we grow our own food, building a root cellar, try and make everything we can because 1) we feel our, ahem... "free market" system has turned into a morally deplorable system and we want to be independent from it as much as possible, and 2) we don't know how much longer it will be around anyway. I was just wondering how many other homebrewers are thinking that tasty brew will make an excellent means of exchange when TSHTF, and brew there own to get away from the system of economic slavery we are currently under. Alcohol consumption goes up during times of civil unrest.

WTF. Has it come to this already?

So many things to comment on, but alas, I will try to stay ON TOPIC.

It's like this here; there IS a conspiracy. They are printing money under a mountain in Colorado, somewhere, right now. Only the Libs know where. It's the new EuroDollar. It is to be the new currency when all of Greater America is One. Y'know, Canada, North America, Mexico and Central America, and South America. This is why the Colombian trade deal was so important. This is the New World Order that they have been alluding to. What's going to happen is that all Federal Law will become American Union Law. They are wanting to build the new American Highway. It's why they don't want to stop illegal immigration, since we will all be of the same State. All of the current workers will be driven back to destitution, like way back in the Middle Ages. Guns won't matter because there will be no way to get ammo. It will be available, it will just be taxed so high that only the Elites will be able to buy it. Blackwater just changed their name to Xe, and they will be the Guard that controls the peasants. It has been happening little by little but now, it has started to accelerate really quickly. They used the Wars to get the military out of the country, and now Blackwater, Xe, rather, is poised to take control. Brewing supplies have already started to be controlled, just look at BMW.

They are allowing the food to be poisoned. The terrorists just made the change easier, as everyone was looking that way, while They were starting the changes in the other direction.

Manual skills will rank as supreme skills once again. Computer skills and IT will cease to have any relevance in the New Reality. The space satellites that supposedly collided was an overt act of war, but it's being hushed up, while both sides prepare their responses. Had not there been debris sightings in the sky so soon after, no one would have even known. All the things that they said might happen, are happening.

So, no, brewing will be done by each family, due to the difficulty of finding good water. Each family will be on it's own. Bartering was valid back in the days of docile civilization, but this will be a new, savage existence. Spears, knives, bow and arrows will be the difference in eating and starving, be it by defense or by hunting. While the water is mainly in the Great Lakes, the cold will cause the new peasant class to migrate to the mid-west. Those in the SW will have no water, and there will be mass rioting until all the water runs out.

I was told this stuff by a guy I work with. He listens to Glen Beck, and listens to a lot of podcasts from experts on the subject.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad. Something tells me education is still the way to go though. Your post is a bit alarmist at best.

Manual Labor > Intelligence = Fail

In a SHTF scenario the two most important possesions will be fresh water and hard rice(bullets). You can barter w/ the water and protect yourself at the same time. This is especially true for city folks.
AP

no, no, no.

This fallacy is based on a misconception about the Mayan counting system...!

The calendar seems to stop in 2012 for this cycle, and a NEW long-term cycle starts again. duh

(source: an well-educated guide from Koba, Mex.).

Apparently you missed the sarcasm in my post. While I am not a true believer of the world ending then, it is kinda crazy everything that coincides with December 2012 (not just the Mayan calendar). The History Channel had a show about it, pretty interesting.

As far as I'm concerned, there are too many people who rely on starbucks, walmart, and whole foods to get by. Those are the people who will be coming to guys like me (us) for what they need to get by. (so pretty much everyone in NY and LA will die).

thanks for the vote of confidence! I live in nyc, but I can grow veggies, shoot better than most of the cops I know, and I can skin and butcher most animals. Growing up hunting and fishing does have its advantages. I also have a reverse osmosis water filter, so I can clean up the water if absolutely needed.

But I do realize that I live in NYC. Target numero uno. If I survive the initial incident, I'll have a hard time getting out of the area anyhow because of the mass chaos. Time to hit the diamond district and hang out with the mole people!

I do like the barter system. I don't have room to grow enough grain for a partial mash, let alone a full batch of beer... So I'll have to survive on the beer I have brewed already.

B

insanity peppers ranting of words

Bravo good sir, bravo.

orson%20clapping.gif

I think there's nothing wrong with trying to become self sufficient. It really is something that's been lost in this country over the last century. If nothing else, think of the money you save in growing your own food and trading goods and services. Also natural food is better for you, without all the pesticides and preservatives that corporate farming adds to your veggies. Think of the relief on the infrastructure if we could alleviate some of the power load by generating it ourselves, or not using as much city water by using collected rain water, or using a compost bin instead of throwing the lawn clippings away!

It's also good to learn several different trades as well. We can't all be master brewers and whores when the zombpocalype comes, you know.

Amazon.com: Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse: A Novel of the Turbulent Near Future (Expanded and Updated 33 Chapter Edition): James Wesley Rawles: Books

Regards, GF. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with the original poster, while I am not using my money to purchase land, I was trained well enough, and have scouted out where I will just claim some land, I would just stock up on hard rice, I know how to blacksmith, learning the fine art of brewing beer, and pretty much know how to fix anything, I would like to find a Shamen to join my cause after the madness takes place. Just remember guns dont kill people, people do. Beside the less people that have guns the easier it will be for us that do. We will be back in fuedal times. I am keeping my sailboat just in case it gets too stupid in this country.

We can't all be master brewers and whores when the zombpocalype comes, you know.

Speak for yourself! Why else would a guy who calls himself "Sir Humpsalot" be hanging out on a brewing board? ;)

Sir Humpsalot, brewer extraordinaire and male gigolo to hot and sexy wimmins

I did say we ALL can't, didn't I? I mean, there's only gonna be a few slots available, so to speak.

You're all WAY too sober to be thinking about these things.

RDWHAHB, then discuss.
Sheesh.

Nice, I'm happy for you. I see it as an insurance policy that not many "enlighten" people would understand nor invest in. I would consider some sort of defense though.

You will probably be able to barter homebrew for a few things, but unless you grow barley, hops and do your own malting, roasting & toasting; where do you get the money to buy makings? Your LHBS owner is likely to be a homebrewer.

And at any significant volume, the taxman will track you down.

I think about this often but there are too many things I couldn't do and wouldn't have enough to trade so I would do some chores in exchange for what I need (wait a minute, that is what I do now :) ) That is only a statement partly in jest, some truth to it. But I do think about it. We have 10 acres, a creek with fish behind our house, wild turkeys, deer, rabbits, groundhogs, birds, snakes, frogs, etc. available to us and we grow a lot of vegetables that last through winter, not all vegetables in that quantity though. We will be buying chickens and goats soon too. We have a well but that requires electricity. We have a wood burning stove but not enough trees to cut down to sustain us. Lots of problems not to mention legal and things like taxes. But I do often wonder how long I could survive if I had to on my own.

Latest posts

Back