Virtual Tour of Canal Park Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinga

Reaction score
For the last year I have been working at a brew pub in town. I started off as a dishwasher but quickly moved into the brewery as a tour guide. As a tour guide I get to work in the brewery when there are no tours to give. So it has been a fun year and I thought I would share some pics and info on the brewery itself.

So here is the system. Construction of the brewery was completed a little over a year ago and everything used was brand new. System was built by diversified metal engineering.
IMG_20131104_155046.jpg

The system is 15 bbls and a three vessel system. Mash mixer is in the middle, lauter tun is on the left and boil kettle on the right. The control screen there is an HMI that runs PLC and controls the brewery with pneumatic valves. Every vessel has it's own dedicated pump.

We have a grain silo that stores all of our base malt. We just used Breiss two row
IMG_20131104_154911.jpg

This is our grain room where we store all of our specialty grains and some of the pilsen we use for our pilsner and tripel.
IMG_20131104_161923.jpg

So to get grain from the silo it is augered in through the wall in the pipe on top in the picture below and then loaded into the big silver hopper. The hopper is on a scale so it makes everything really easy to weigh out. Then all the malt runs through our mill which is that yellow guy there. It's just a simple roller mill except the rollers are 10 inch rollers and powered by that large electric motor (the green guy) you see there.
IMG_20131104_154958.jpg

In this picture you can see the scale read out and the buttons to start and stop the auger motor from pouring in malt.
IMG_20131104_162012.jpg

Then all that malt is augered back into the brewery through the pipe you can see under the mill and it is all deposited into our grist case here. and normally we do this process the day before a brew day just so we dont have to worry about that work when we get there in the morning.
IMG_20131104_155024.jpg

To get the brew day started we open that slide gate and the grain starts to fall down the fat section of the pipe which is the grist hydrater, so it's just spraying the grain with water. All in the picture above. The grain and water then come to rest inside of the mash mixer. Here is an inside view of that. The sections of the kettle wall that has that circle print are the two steam zones that add heat. And of course the paddles stir the mash so we don't scorch it and it keeps the temps uniform.
IMG_20131104_155347.jpg

While we're mashing we'll open up the mash mixer screen on the control panel and you can see the two steam zones there.
IMG_20131104_155103.jpg

And of course every recipe has a different mash schedule so we have a couple recipes programmed in to choose from.
IMG_20131104_155109.jpg

And here is the mash schedule for the nut brown we brew. This system will maintain temps on it's own. So the system moves through this schedule by itself without any input from the brewer. We get a lot of consistency from this system. Also this is a break from baby sitting the system so a brewer can go take care of something else in the brewery.
IMG_20131104_155115.jpg

After the mash is over we pump the mixture over to our lauter tun. Here is a view inside the lauter tun. you can see the false bottom and the rakes there. so first we vorlauf to get our grain bed set up and then we begin to fly sparge. We take samples of the run off a couple times during the lauter to measure sugar content. If we see that we arent getting as much sugar as we should be, we stop the sparge and run off and run those rakes there to hopefully stop the channeling that is cutting down on our efficiency.
IMG_20131104_155139.jpg

Once all the wort is gone we need to get all the grain out and we have a hole in the bottom of the lauter tun where we remove the grain. in the picture above you can see the hole near the far side. We open that hole up and we can spin those rakes in reverse and they push a majority of the grain out. There is a local cattle farmer who comes and takes away the grain to feed his cattle with.

Here is a picture of the boil kettle screen.
IMG_20131104_155235.jpg

On here you can see there are three steam zones that are small and independent and this fact allows us to get started heating sooner without wasting energy of an uncovered steam zone. Once we get up to a boil we can turn off the steam zones and turn on the internal calandria. The calandria is a steam jacketed cylinder inside the boil kettle (in the pic below) with a series of tubes that run up and down the cylinder. with the convection current going on during the boil the wort is being forced up through the tubes. We add steam to the cylinder and the heat exchange into the wort is much more efficient because of the increase in surface area while the wort is inside those tubes. As the wort shoots out of the cylinder then it hits a diverter plate and fans back down over the boil to suppress boil overs.
IMG_20131104_155326.jpg

When the boil is over we whirlpool inside the kettle. This is where the wort gets pumped in the start the whirlpool.
IMG_20131104_155407.jpg

Then the wort is run through our plate chiller (blue thing). and luckily in northern MN we have freezing cold water so that makes our chilling very efficient. and the wort gets oxygenated inline with a stainless oxygen stone and gets connected to one of our hard plumbed transfer lines. These run to the cellar area.
IMG_20131104_155501.jpg

The water we use to chill comes out of the chiller around 180 F so theres a lot of energy in there we can reuse. All the water is then put inside our hot liquor tank to be reused for the next batch of beer or just for cleaning the brew house. If enough time has passed between brew days where the water loses too much heat we can heat it up again. The local steam plant that heats a lot of downtown Duluth is just across the street and they have hot water lines that run over to our building. We run our HLT water through a heat exchanger that has their hot water running through it. Here is a pic of the hlt. Really exciting stuff.
IMG_20131104_155437.jpg

The wort then gets put into one of our fermentation vessels. However, before the wort goes in we put yeast inside the FV and we'll pump the wort up through the bottom valve so the yeast gets mixed in really well. The FVs are 18 and a half bbls so they have about 20% head space. Here is a picture of some of the FVs. We have 7 in total.
IMG_20131104_155528.jpg

These vessels are glycol jacketed and we can control fermentations temps by using the cellar page on the control screen. The glycol chiller we have is a repurposed military surplus unit. It was originally intended to chill a missile silo. Here is a pic of the glycol lines going into the fermenters
IMG_20131104_184323.jpg

And here is the cellar page where we can set and monitor temps.
IMG_20131104_160206.jpg

Once fermentation is over we'll pull the beer out off the top of the yeast with a racking cane and the beer is pushed through our filter. its a lenticular filter with tall cylinder shaped filter cartridges. Of course we cant use a pump to move the beer because that would oxygenate the beer so we push the beer through using CO2 pressure. Here is a pic of the filter
IMG_20131104_155721.jpg

The beer is then connected to a transfer line that brings the beer over the heads of the restaurant guests and into our serving tanks that we have behind the bar. once the beer is in there we can begin to carbonate using a stainless carb stone. We can carb a beer in a matter of hours which is pretty cool. We serve right out of those tanks as well. Here is a pic of the tanks.
IMG_20131104_155856.jpg

Here is a pic of all the piping for the gas. We also have a nitrogen system and a blender so we can use 100% CO2, 100% N2 and 85% CO2 55% CO2 and 45% CO2.... those percentages may not be 100% accurate. However the mixer unit got fried because root beer got shot through the main line. We have no idea how or who but the mixer is out of commission until we get it replaced.
IMG_20131104_155911.jpg

Here is another shot of the control screen because it's awesome. Also the gray things on the left side of the panel are variable frequency drives which allow us to dictate how much electricity gets fed to the pumps and rake/ paddle motors. When we as homebrewers dont want our pumps running at full bore we throttle them with ball valves or some other physical means. That pump is still using as much electricity as if it were running at full bore so it is sort of a waste of electricity. With the VFDs we can throttle the pumps output by dictating how much power we feed it. We find that we are almost never running a pump at 100%. The highest we ever really get is 75% and the lowest is around 25% during brewing I suppose. When we're cleaning I suppose we run those pumps full bore.
IMG_20131104_160213.jpg

And finally here is a picture of our master brewer on deck. He now has a more permanent place high above the brewery always watching over us.
1016093_597971503570191_137316116_n.jpg

Phew that was a lot of pics, but I have learned a ton from this community so this may be a small way for me to thank you all for the knowledge that probably helped me land this job. If you guys have any questions please feel free to ask me. If you want any more pictures of anything in particular I can grab them for you. I hope you enjoy this little virtual tour. And if you ever find yourself in the Duluth, MN area our head brewer has an open door policy that he will usually entertain provided he's not spraying hot caustic at the moment.

That was cool to see. Not a huge system,but virtually the same. I like the idea of controlling pump output at the motor. Def more efcient & cheaper in the long run.

Very cool!
I'd love to stop by for a tour sometime. I grew up 60 miles north of Duluth, and my folks still live there. I live in the Cities, and I get up there alot.

Thats a sweet system. All of that automation has to make brewing nice and smooth.

Awesome write up, that was nice and thorough! Next time we are in Duluth, we are stopping by. I am going to forgo our usual Grandmas run on our next hockey weekend and replace it with Canal Park Brewing.

Go 'Dogs, Go Duluth (best city around, damn fine brewing water too I imagine)

got some new pics to add. I was waiting for a sunny day to take some outdoor pics.

First one is a better shot of the external silo
IMG_20131113_130615.jpg

next one here is a picture of the building itself. the brewery is behind those big windows so everyone can look inside as they walk past.
IMG_20131113_130702.jpg

and of course enjoy a nice beer on the patio while you watch the ships come in.
IMG_20131113_130814.jpg

Awesome post, thanks!

Can you walk us through your yeast management? I've always been curious about how breweries this big (or larger) handle their yeast? Things like storage, washing the yeast, etc...

Awesome post, thanks!

Can you walk us through your yeast management? I've always been curious about how breweries this big (or larger) handle their yeast? Things like storage, washing the yeast, etc...

absolutely

So as a fairly new brew pub we are still refining out process quite a bit and yeast management is one area we are looking at improving. Currently our process is fairly simple. when we are ready to move the yeast (normally after moving the beer but sometimes if we are aging the beer we will pull it out sooner.) we simply pressurize the fermenter and shoot it into on of our super fancy yeast brinks.... it's really just a modified keg with two valves. we then put that brink in the fridge until we need it. I think we try to hold onto 3-4 yeast strains and we brew our staples pretty often so we try not to hold the yeast in the fridge for longer than a week. so when we're ready to put the yeast in the fermenter we just pressurize the brink and shoot the yeast into the fermenter.
IMG_20131104_155621.jpg

so with these simple procedures we usually use our yeast about 6-7 times before we start with new yeast. when we receive our yeast from the supplier we will basically do a yeast starter inside of a fermenter. we have 50lbs sacks of DME that we use for this. in the last 6 months we hired another brewer who has a lot of experience with managing yeast so he was taken on to help us in this area. We have started doing forced fermentation tests and post chiller wort samples on agar. we will start doing yeast counts and bacteria load tests sometime soon here in our slow season.

keep the questions coming.

This was really informative, thanks for taking the time to show us around and introduce us to Gus. My question is, how do you all handle brewhouse safety? Any risks that you keep constantly in mind? Some things you'd wish were done differently?

This was really informative, thanks for taking the time to show us around and introduce us to Gus. My question is, how do you all handle brewhouse safety? Any risks that you keep constantly in mind? Some things you'd wish were done differently?

personally I hate the spiral staircase. I've slipped down one before and this particular one I dislocated my shoulder on. thats probably a personal thing though.

all the tanks have CIP balls which makes cleaning with caustic fairly safe as it's all contained.

the floor drains are a bit of a pain. They wanted to make long trench drains but the way they laid the rebar for the floor made that impossible so we just have those little round holes instead.

we do have switches so we can kill the electricity to certain vessels. so when we enter a vessel to clean it out we make sure we kill the power as to not get shocked.

one thing that always gets me is that the water is so amazingly hot since the steam plant heats it. the water comes out of the tap around 180 degrees. so you always need to be aware of that.

just little random things like that. Sorry for the delay in answer. we're working on a beer class for the servers in the restaurant and it has been taking up lots of time.

Dragging up an old thread.
I am planning to make a trip there tonite. Must have some Dawn Treader!

Back