Home Super Brewery Build: Hybrid Electric/Gas 3BBL Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trip2hard said:
Looking great!! Should have my keg washer done this week. Its at the welders :)

Awesome! Definitely post some pics in that keg washer thread! Didn't get either of my major steps done this weekend.... I think once the hood is up and the cold room is going things will all fall into place!

Forward progress working with Fastev today! Thanks buddy, stay out of the doghouse!

Mounted the AC units, hood and got the coolbot working. Need to get the ducting and fan in. Also need to vent the cold room AC into the ceiling.

image-3912086209.jpg

image-3071349846.jpg

image-2196266389.jpg

image-1156959761.jpg

image-3044820232.jpg

image-306495595.jpg

Good day, and I didn't get busted for staying out too late!
Looks great Marc, glad to see the coolbot working. I'd imagine once the ac units are trimmed out the temp will really plummet in the cold room! We'll have to put bomber hinges on all the doors to keep them closed.
Have a great trip, I'm going to try to have the panel ready for Thursday...

fastev said:
Good day, and I didn't get busted for staying out too late!
Looks great Marc, glad to see the coolbot working. I'd imagine once the ac units are trimmed out the temp will really plummet in the cold room! We'll have to put bomber hinges on all the doors to keep them closed.
Have a great trip, I'm going to try to have the panel ready for Thursday...

Sweet, thanks again! The cold room got down to 40 but I could feel the cold air coming out around the door, we've got to seal that bad boy up. Getting close!

Marc, next time im down in Santa Clara, I need to check this out. Who did your welding? I have a few fittings that are beyond my skill level.

Marc, next time im down in Santa Clara, I need to check this out. Who did your welding? I have a few fittings that are beyond my skill level.

anytime! Always welcome at the brewery for a production facility tour : )

Fastev (Evan) linked me up with his sanitary welder from work. It wasn't cheap but he did a beautiful job on the sanitary kettle welds that I didn't want to take any chances on.

Dukeman9988 said:
Ahhhhhh. That really clarified things

Just cracking stones...

I would like to go pro on a very small scale. I love this hobby but I don't want it to turn into a crappy job. I also happen to really enjoy my day job! So the goal is to finish the garage up and see if I can navigate the process to go pro with the intent of very local and very limited keg distribution. If it works out great if not then my friends and I will have one hell of a home brewery to play on while drinking beer and watching football. The best part is that I won't need to do it in the driveway and entertain another million breaking bad cracks from the passersby ; )

The best part is that I won't need to do it in the driveway and entertain another million breaking bad cracks from the passersby ; )

so true, pretty sure my neighbors think i'm "cooking" in my driveway.

awesome work, been enjoying following this thread.

jaredr said:
so true, pretty sure my neighbors think i'm "cooking" in my driveway.

awesome work, been enjoying following this thread.

Thanks Jared! Stuck out of town for work but chomping at the bit to get back to get this done!

Carlscan26 said:
Can you clean multiple kettles at once?

Probably not unless I get bigger reservoirs. The 10 gallon reservoir is a little light to pump through the sprayball at volume. The pump does a great job though and my little keg washer kept the water at 185 (about 15 gallons total)

marcb said:
Probably not unless I get bigger reservoirs. The 10 gallon reservoir is a little light to pump through the sprayball at volume. The pump does a great job though and my little keg washer kept the water at 185 (about 15 gallons total)

Nice.

Couldn't resist, had to uncrate a fermenter. Glacier tanks is awesome. Fantastic quality, super customer service, only downside is the wait for products. I'm very pleased with this purchase.

Very NICE!!!!! so what are you going to use for a heat exchanger and cooling water? Are you going to do a hot water recovery tank to reclaim the hot water from the heat exchanger?

Nice looking build Marc

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird said:
Very NICE!!!!! so what are you going to use for a heat exchanger and cooling water? Are you going to do a hot water recovery tank to reclaim the hot water from the heat exchanger?

Nice looking build Marc

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jay! I'll be showing off some of your work here soon as we can get back to brewing! I've got a monster brazetek chiller that came with the kettles I will be testing out shortly. I will post the specs and test results as well. I have two options for cooling water, there is a hose bib on the utility sink across the garage (just put in) and I can also flip off the tankless and just run the water through. Haven't thought too much through the waste water side but if I am not doing a parallel brew day I can take the out of the heat exchanger and feed the water right into BK2 to use for CIP of the system. Parallel brew day may present a bit of a challenge for storage of that much water as I don't have a spare 50 or 100 gallon tank kicking around to pump into.... Maybe I need one of those big Campbell soup cans you make ; )

image-3403476228.jpg

image-3351335644.jpg

I've been loving this build, but just one suggestion. I also use an on demand hot water heater and found that silicone tubing connected directly to the water heater was a bad idea. If you open the valve on the wall without opening the valve on the tank you are filling, the silicone will balloon out and eventually pop off the fitting. To address this, I substituted stainless hose that is typically used to hook up a washing machine.

Now I'll go back to drooling over your awesome setup. Cheers!

barryfine said:
I've been loving this build, but just one suggestion. I also use an on demand hot water heater and found that silicone tubing connected directly to the water heater was a bad idea. If you open the valve on the wall without opening the valve on the tank you are filling, the silicone will balloon out and eventually pop off the fitting. To address this, I substituted stainless hose that is typically used to hook up a washing machine.

Now I'll go back to drooling over your awesome setup. Cheers!

Hi Barry! The tubing is actually reinforced silicone tubing and runs about $10 per foot! After turning regular 1/2" silicone tubing into a water weeny I went down this route. I've been having a hard time finding any tubing that is good enough (food safe and high temp) with a 1" diameter that isn't 20-30$ per foot! This tubing is good for up to 200 psi and is food safe. I think I bought it from McMaster.... I also used the same stuff on my keg washer.

Hi Barry! The tubing is actually reinforced silicone tubing and runs about $10 per foot! After turning regular 1/2" silicone tubing into a water weeny I went down this route. I've been having a hard time finding any tubing that is good enough (food safe and high temp) with a 1" diameter that isn't 20-30$ per foot! This tubing is good for up to 200 psi and is food safe. I think I bought it from McMaster.... I also used the same stuff on my keg washer.

Very nice! I figured you had a solution to that problem already figured out, but wanted to give you a heads up just in case. LOL at the term water weeny!

Can't wait to see how the automation is set up! Great build.

Thanks! This will be BCS controlled (at least the mash/boil kettles) will be. Looks like I've got a bad contactor after two days of troubleshooting : (

Onward and upward, still not boiling water yet......

marcb said:
Thanks! This will be BCS controlled (at least the mash/boil kettles) will be. Looks like I've got a bad contactor after two days of troubleshooting : (

Onward and upward, still not boiling water yet......

Still troubleshooting the ghosts in the panel, now I'm off to 5 countries for work - on hold for another week : (

I'm sure in another month or so I'm going to look back at my impatience now and laugh but dammit, right now it ain't so funny! I need to brew!

marcb said:
Still troubleshooting the ghosts in the panel, now I'm off to 5 countries for work - on hold for another week : (

I'm sure in another month or so I'm going to look back at my impatience now and laugh but dammit, right now it ain't so funny! I need to brew!

Apparently I'm an idiot and a noob to electric brewing! SSR's have trickle voltage that is evident on a multimeter but doesn't affect load. So my ghost 120v disappears when a pump is plugged in for example! So things are looking up for when I return from my work trip.

Cool. Almost everything is up and running! May even be able to pull of the first brew day this Sunday!!!

image-1775276054.jpg

image-2073548235.jpg

image-3829930711.jpg

image-970765211.jpg

Carlscan26 said:
What is that thing to the left of the conicals?

That's "the beast" basically a 1BBL 40 gallon ferm/bright or BiaB 1BBL brewery. Currently listed for sale as it doesn't have the capacity for my setup!

Back