Home Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveM

Reaction score
I am curious about home brewers who filter. Do you use any kind of specialized equipment, activated charcoal, and stuff like that? Or do you just use large filter papers and a sort of a massive coffee filter set up? Could a really big drip coffee maker as a basis for equipment to do this?

I'm not sure I want to try this, I've had ungodly messes just from trying to filter out hop pellet remains. But if there is some simple, reliable way that carries minimal risk of infection, I might be inclined to experiment with it.

There is no way to make coffee filters work, you need pressure to push beer through a filter. Don't know what you would call simple, but here's my setup:

2113-img_1360.jpg

Is that just a water cartridge filter? I was also wondering what micron size are you using?

Is that just a water cartridge filter? I was also wondering what micron size are you using?

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PLATE_FILTER_P468.cfm

7 micron grade Seitz Filter Pad is recommended for most uses, as it is less likely to clog halfway through the 5 gallon batch if there is excessive yeast in the beer. This grade will filter 5 gallons of beer that has fallen clear, but still has some yeast in suspension. These are disposable - you will need two pads per 5 gallon batch of beer

3 micron grade by Seitz of Germany is only for beer that has fallen very clear, and fining with Instant Isinglass is recommended before using to prevent clogging the filter halfway through a 5 gallon batch

1 micron grade is only for beer that has fallen very clear, and fining with Instant Isinglass is recommended before using to prevent clogging the filter halfway through a 5 gallon batch. Recommended for experienced filter users

Do you use any kind of specialized equipment, activated charcoal, and stuff like that? Or do you just use large filter papers and a sort of a massive coffee filter set up? Could a really big drip coffee maker as a basis for equipment to do this?

I've had ungodly messes just from trying to filter out hop pellet remains.

a charcoal filter would do you no good. thats for molecular particles (lead, cloreen, iron). like david_42 said coffee filers wont work. those are for solid contaminants like coffee grounds.

now i have a question. why are you filtering out hop pellet remains? once the wart is cool enough create a whirl pool in your pot by running your spoon around in circles really fast. when the swirling is done all the bad stuff will collect in the middle of your pot. then siphon off from the edge of the pot.

Back