Home Depot Orange bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a Lalvin 71B-1122 Yeast and i am also about to buy another bucket and put a spigot on them. is it safe to use silicon to put the spigot on . I was figureing i could drill a hole install a piece of 3/4 in PVC than just caulk around the pvc to make it tight this would make it much easier to bottle.

My apologies...

Glass Carboys: Recommended by 6,724,920 out of 6,724,922 homebrewers.

Its a joke, son. Can that not be inferred from the obviously random number generated?

I fear you people may take this thing a bit too seriously. I will be sure to keep things like this to myself in the future.

Just an observation but:

You have little credibility

You joined last month

Your carboy preference more than likely does not support an overwhelming majority of homebrewers

Your comments, disguised as humor, are misleading

-and-

You degrade one of the influential and helpful members of the forum by calling him “son”

Again these are only observations, from another newbie at that.

Yes, I understand the humor was lost, and in an effort to protect the malleable minds of the virgin homewbrewer I will refrain from such outbursts in the future.
However, implying that all but 1 homebrewer prefers glass carboys for fermentation is far less potentially harmful than stating, implying, or perpetuating the idea that "HDPE" and "#2" are industry symbols designating food contact safe plastic. THEY ARE NOT.
For example, Rubbermaid makes a Brute container. They are all made from the same base plastic but only Gray, White, and Yellow are NSF International Standard 2 certified for food contact safety. The Blue, Red and Green ones are not. The ony difference: dye.
Sure, a bunch of people use Homer Buckets, sure no one has died and the booze turns out great. I am still looking through the other threads to find Revvy's holy grail of Orange Bucket information, but so far I have seen only posts by people claiming knowledge that back up what a number of posts have said: it doesn't say its food contact safe, so it's probably not, you've been warned.

And as far as the degradation of a member... ah, nevermind. Homebrew is serious business.

I used a Lalvin 71B-1122 Yeast and i am also about to buy another bucket and put a spigot on them. is it safe to use silicon to put the spigot on . I was figureing i could drill a hole install a piece of 3/4 in PVC than just caulk around the pvc to make it tight this would make it much easier to bottle.

Well a real spigot is $3.50 so not sure how you will save by gluing something together.
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_356_321&products_id=1680

Also sometimes bakerys will give away food grade buckets that once held frosting etc

I know a spigot is only 350 but if I buy it online I am sure shipping will kill me and I have a bunch of random pvc stuff lying around the workbench. I am wondering if silicon is food safe? or what the best method of attaching it to the HD bucket

While we're on the subject of "food safe", is it a problem to have a polyvinylchloride (PVC) #3 bottle for brew-water storage?

I have been using standard #3 5 gallon water bottles to treat my water for chloramines with campden the night before brewday, and I was wondering if the PVC has BPA or other chemicals that may be leaching into my brew-water.

While we're on the subject of "food safe", is it a problem to have a polyvinylchloride (PVC) #3 bottle for brew-water storage?

I have been using standard #3 5 gallon water bottles to treat my water for chloramines with campden the night before brewday, and I was wondering if the PVC has BPA or other chemicals that may be leaching into my brew-water.

No BPA is really only comes out when heated and really only matters to fetuses and infants, so you don't giver your beer to pregnant women and pre-teens and your should be good to go

I know a spigot is only 350 but if I buy it online I am sure shipping will kill me and I have a bunch of random pvc stuff lying around the workbench. I am wondering if silicon is food safe? or what the best method of attaching it to the HD bucket
If not a LHBS, you could try a restaurant supply store. We use a source called FMP and can order Tomlinson faucets and other types that will work for a bottling bucket.

But what about the manboobs many of us have developed? :D

So it's really just the beer, NOT BPA, eh? ;)

Yes, all do due to BPA in the beer, manboobs, poor driving, excess crying, irrational behavior, rambling on for hours about nothing, emotional, etc.

The chemicals in certain dye can 'possibly' cause issues to not cause a bucket to be food grade.

I have two Homer buckets, and I bought them for fermenting. I was quickly turned off by them for one reason alone, and I now use one for Oxi-Clean solution, and one for sanitizing.

The reason I was turned off is the lid design. The lid is extremely difficult to get off, and the way it's designed, I ended up ripping the tabs, and I also ripped past the seal in the lid, so I don't think the one bucket is airtight anymore. Granted, it's my fault that I ripped it, I just decided at that point that the Homer buckets were too cheap, and I wasn't comfortable putting my beer in there.

You guys use lids on your buckets? :confused:

You guys use lids on your buckets? :confused:

And the silence is deafening!

As far as I know, Bass uses open fermenters and skims the yeast. Not sure that I know any homebrewers that do - Are you number 1?

I'm sure to hear from a lot of others, should roll into another thread on that one.

Dave

pickles, which are food, come in a bucket with... get this... a YELLOW lid. Oh the animosity!! FTR, I am 100% not concerned with the minuscule amount of dye or whatever leeches out of a bucket. I'm sure that the alcohol content in the beer is far more carcinogenic.

Did anyone see the bucket top wet/dry vacs they are selling right next to them for $20? Thing is sweet. Great idea.

Had to buy a new hose though. It was more expensive than the shop vac, actually.!

Here are a couple quick tips for buckets:
1. If you brew in 5 gal plastic bucket, use Gamma lids for easier removal. They spin on and off and won't agitate your brew. Great for hop and nutrient additions!
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-Screw-Top-Lid-5GAMMA6/203205720

2. Use food safe can liners. They keep cleaning down. They keep your brew away from the plastic. They keep your brew away from the walls of the bucket which can have micro scratches that can be filled with bacteria. They're cheap too.
https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Bucket-Liner-Marinading-Brining/dp/B00J29FPVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490102884&sr=8-1&keywords=5+gallon+bucket+liner+food+grade

There are many products out there. I use ULine bags and lids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back