home depot clear tubing for mush tun concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peace11uehman

Reaction score
Hey people,

I just built a mash tun for tommorows brew day using a coleman extreme cooler. I wanted to keep it simple, so i went with the stainless tubing filter method.
The spigot on the cooler is located at the back and is on a downward facing angle, so the only way to make the drainage system worlk well is if i extend some tubing into the cooler so that the stainless tubing lays flat. I tested it out with boiled water and it worked great. I used clear tubing from home depot, however i think it may be made of pvc?
Im wondering if the extra tubing will release chemicals into my beer? I stayed away from the brass fittings due to the traces of lead in the top coating.

If you are afraid of lead in brass you should be terrified of clear plastic tubing.

I would use high temp rated tubing, not the cheap vinyl tubing if you're using it in the mash tun. You can order this from any homebrew supply shop and Home Depot may even have some. I would find out what temp the tubing is rated before using it.

If you're going to use tubing, at all, get the silicon tubing that you can get from your LHBS. OR, make up some fittings with copper to extend the pickup to the right level for the SS to then take over.

I wouldn't trust regular clear tubing (especially from HD) to be able to withstand the temperatures, and pressure/weight from the grain bed, inside a mash tun.

Of course, since you're short on time, you could just use the BIAB method inside your pots (or the cooler too, depending on the shape of it). I've had excellent results with that method (as have many others)...

+1000....you can taste the plastic in warm water that's been run through the tubing. I can't imagine the types of chemicals that leech out, but they can't be good for your health or quality of your beer.

ok out with the clear tubing! I will try and use some copper tubing. The clear tubing is rated for 175 degree temps. If i go with copper, can i use some teflon tape to make sure it seals when i shove it through the spigot? I only have tommorow to brew this beer lol, i will do what it takes!

Back