home depot bucket to hold bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilligafbrewing

Reaction score
im in the middle of designing/building my electric biab setup and because of my chosen boil vessel, im having trouble finding a suitable steamer basket to keep the bag from touching the element. i've found that a home depot 5 gal bucket fits perfectly and am planning on just putting a bunch of holes in the bottom and using it for my RIMS biab setup. my only question is: do i have to worry about any chemicals or weird flavors leaching out of the plastic at mash temp?

I would try a stainless steaming rack if you can find one. They have a few on Amazon. I don't like the idea of the plastic.

I would try a stainless steaming rack if you can find one. They have a few on Amazon. I don't like the idea of the plastic.

maybe im not using the right search criteria. cant seem to find an one at around 11' diameter.

a little research on HDPE shows that it is food safe up to 248*f, so unless anyone has experienced issues with it, i think i might be ok.

i will do a dry run with the bucket in at mash temp for an hour and see if there is any detectable odor to the water. i will also be circulating it through food grade plastic tubing with a food grade pump, so if any weirdness leeches out of any of these components, i should notice.

So you want to repeatedly soak the plastic bucket from Home Depot in 150°-180° water with an electric element in with it? It seems like this would definitely lead to off/plastic flavors and would probably break the plastic down a little each time. Doesn't seem like the best approach to me.

what size do you need for your false bottom

i'd have to wait till i get home to get a precise measurement but a tad under 11' diameter with maybe a 3" rise, but there are lots of things to contend with like spigot bulkheads, thermocouples, heating elements when it comes to spacing out the feet.

There was someone who forwarded a letter from the manufacturer of the HD orange bucket. It was said that the plastic used was food safe, but the dyes to make it orange were not. So the advice was to not use it in food preparation.

The white one should be OK.

So you want to repeatedly soak the plastic bucket from Home Depot in 150°-180° water with an electric element in with it? It seems like this would definitely lead to off/plastic flavors and would probably break the plastic down a little each time. Doesn't seem like the best approach to me.

it didnt sound like the best idea to me either, which is why im here asking if anyone has experience with using this material in this manner. it is possible that it would break the plastic down but i need evidence that this is happening to make an informed decision. the claimed food safety temperature of HDPE as 248*f suggests that there isnt any breaking down happening below that temp.

If you contact Arbor Fab, one of our HBT sponsors, they can fab you anything you can dream up from SS mesh. I would be very wary of the plastic and heat combination, even the food grade buckets. Arbor Fab prices are pretty reasonable and I have a couple of their custom fab devices.

I did a quick search on Amazon and found several false bottoms that were near the size you want.

i found one 11". Plenty in 10 or 12, but all are the domed style, and i dont think that will work for what i'm doing. youd have to see the inside of the kettle, it's pretty crowded down there with 2 heating elements, a spigot, thermocouple and thermometer all in the bottom couple inches, also, the idea of a bucket or ideally a steamer basket allows me to lift the bag out easier for draining/sparging.

i really want to stay with the basket/bucket plan for ease of lifting out and draining the grain bag.

The steamer racks work great but just make sure you wash it off and completely dry it right away to keep it from rusting. I don't like using buckets or baskets to hold the bag. It seems like a nice way to lift the bag out but you don't get the natural squeezing action that pulling the bag out by itself offers. You also won't be able to squeeze the extra wort out easily.

The steamer racks work great but just make sure you wash it off and completely dry it right away to keep it from rusting. I don't like using buckets or baskets to hold the bag. It seems like a nice way to lift the bag out but you don't get the natural squeezing action that pulling the bag out by itself offers. You also won't be able to squeeze the extra wort out easily.

i plan on sparging. thought i mentioned that.

Personally, I wouldn't want any plastic bucket to sit in hot water for that long. Maybe just paranoid on my part but I'd go with stainless.

to the OP, not sure if someone else mentioned it yet. Run the system at temp with just water. (reuse for mash and brewing or watering plants)

run the system 30 minutes, basically a fake brew day. then cool the water and taste it. any off flavors you have would make it into your beer, and something is not right. if it's still a good tasting water, then you have all the right stuff..

me, I would go with SS and not mess with it. I only use silicone tubing for anything over 150 degrees...

to the OP, not sure if someone else mentioned it yet. Run the system at temp with just water. (reuse for mash and brewing or watering plants)

run the system 30 minutes, basically a fake brew day. then cool the water and taste it. any off flavors you have would make it into your beer, and something is not right. if it's still a good tasting water, then you have all the right stuff..

me, I would go with SS and not mess with it. I only use silicone tubing for anything over 150 degrees...

yes, I mentioned it. that was my plan originally... after reading more reports on chemical leaching from plastic water pipes i think i'm gonna shy away from the plastic option, even though it's nice and cheap. will most likely go with aluminum or stainless turkey basket.

one thing sticks in my head tho.....why is it that plastic bucket in hot water = big no-no for so many people, but so many people use plastic tubing for recirculating/transferring hot wort without a second thought?

There's approximately 1,205,765,058 (give or take) formulations of plastic. I only trust plastics that have been purpose-formulated to be safe in the brewing realm. Even then, I try to stick to metal/glass options as much as possible.

yes, I mentioned it. that was my plan originally... after reading more reports on chemical leaching from plastic water pipes i think i'm gonna shy away from the plastic option, even though it's nice and cheap. will most likely go with aluminum or stainless turkey basket.

one thing sticks in my head tho.....why is it that plastic bucket in hot water = big no-no for so many people, but so many people use plastic tubing for recirculating/transferring hot wort without a second thought?

most of the setups I have see are silicone tubing, I would never use anything less.

Heavy HDPE is used all the time for no chill containers, is it stamped with #2 HDPE?

"No chill" is also questionable, so I don't know that the use of the plastic there makes a good case. I have no experience using plastic for mashing or "no chill", but it seems like it's just asking for off flavors. I would think hot side plastic equipment would be available if it were a good option.

Use a perforated pizza tray folded in half. Boom, done! I cant take credit. That is just one of Bobby_M's brilliant ideas I gleaned from pestering him. My other plan before I realized having/buying pumps and valves was not for me was; using a bolt upside down in strainer, grate or something with washers. Flat top part of ss bolt down, upper part up. These give some ideas. I dont like the idea of the plastic but yes it will work. I know brewers on this site that no chill in fermentor buckets.

View attachment 1476334313944.jpg

View attachment 1476334321975.jpg

I see everyone giving ideas of false bottoms and steamer baskets but I have to ask why you need any of that.

First I doubt you can burn a bag or grain that is covered in liquor. For example you can boil water in a solo cup over an open flame.

Lastly you stated you were going to control mash temp while recirculating with Rims. If you are using a RIMS tube to maintain temp the elements in your BK won't even be on during the mash.

If you use the plastic bucket in your mash you're gonna die!

If you don't use the plastic bucket in your mash you're still gonna die! There are so many factors in your life that cause a higher risk of dieing or even diseases or poisoning that I find the fear of the white HDPE buckets to be laughable. If the buckets are food safe to 248F and you will be using them at mash temps of 147 to 160F, that leaves you with a comfortable margin on the food safe aspect.

I used the term RIMS incorrectly.

I will be recirculating wort off the bottom of the bk and spraying it over the grain via a conical spray nozzle. In this respect it is a RIMS system in that it's recirculating a mash infusion, but being heated in the mash/boil vessel instead of a tube.

Ive read plenty of stories about bags contacting hot elements and getting holes melted in them.

I have no interest in a false bottom. Idk how many times I need to repeat that. Maybe I should put it in my original post for all those who didn't read the rest of the thread?

I have no interest in a false bottom. Idk how many times I need to repeat that. Maybe I should put it in my original post for all those who didn't read the rest of the thread?

Yeah, you might want to clarify. To quote your first post...

"im having trouble finding a suitable false bottom or steamer basket to keep the bag from touching the element."

Which indicates you're actively looking for a false bottom.

Maybe it's just the coldness of the written word, but take it easy. You did say false bottom and you didn't mention the desire to sparge. This is an active conversation. If you don't want exploration or discussion, just buy the home depot bucket and get on with it.

a home depot 5 gal bucket fits perfectly and am planning on just putting a bunch of holes in the bottom ?

I would be concerned about having enough open area in the bottom of the bucket to avoid a stuck sparge.

Lots of folks have been down this road and have been frustrated.

That's exactly why brewhardware.com has brought the BIAB false bottom to market and the have been selling like hot cakes to folks that are frustrated with false bottoms or baskets with less open area similar to what you are proposing....only difference is you plan to use plastic.

No comment on the material, HDPE doesn't bother me. IMHO design concept is flawed in that it may result in being too restrictive to recirculate adequately, but your welcome to try like the others that or now using a wire screen FB for automated BIAB.

My suggestion and one that another poster added was an aluminum pot or basket that is the same size as the bucket. With or without holes already there. You can drill holes in a second pot if you need to. Aluminum would be easier but SS would be nicer. Otherwise anything to keep the bag off the bottom of the pot or electric element.

When you give incomplete information on what you really want, don't get critical of the suggestions you get. The original post did state "false bottom".....

Yes I realize my original post said false bottom. I also corrected and clarified in several later posts that I was more interested in a basket/bucket type apparatus to aid in lifting the bag and sparging with my pump. I do apologize for being short with those who chose to forgo the usual forum protocol of reading the entire thread before commenting, I do the same thing sometimes.

I finished building my kettle tonight and a false bottom may be feasible, I appreciate the links and suggestions from everyone. Using a false bottom will mean that I have to steer away from using the readily available and very affordable home depot 5 gal paint strainer bags that I was hoping to use, as they have no handles and in the absence of some sort of basket I will need a way to lift the grain bag.

Off topic a bit, will I need to bag my hops too? I've read conflicting reports.

The home depot paint straining bags are not really a tight enough mesh for BIAB and they will wear out and tear pretty easily. Trust us.. We've been down this road before. When you say you're going to suspend the bag and sparge with your pump, do you mean from another pot of hot water? Are you sparging because your pot is not big enough to do a full volume mash? If not, what is your reason for sparging?

My kettle holds 7.5 gal, so I will have to add some water after the bag is removed to get my pre boil volume. One idea I had was to heat my full 7 gal strike water volume and pump off a few gallons to a small cooler I have, then sparge with that after the mash to get a full volume boil and rinse the grains. I'm sort of hacking my way through this as I build my equipment. Maybe I should start there.

My bk is my old moonshine still boiler, stainless 7.5 gal with domed lid that clamps on. Heat is supplied by a 5500 watt water heater element controlled by an auber ezboil through an SSR. Pump is a 2 gpm eBay cheapie. During mash wort is recirculated and sprayed onto the grains through a full cone nozzle. Maybe this negates sparging, idk, I've gathered a lot of my info from forum posts, and while informative, they aren't always factual. I take it all as a starting point and planned on adjusting and refining my process according to my results.

If the paint strainer bags are widely regarded as junk, I'll gladly purchase a more durable alternative. I've used them for a few one gallon stove top test batches and one partial BIAB/extract batch that's fermenting now that I affectionately named 'split wig' for obvious reasons.

I do appreciate any advice that will save me time and money and most importantly, allow me to create a solid, consistent process.

Back