Home Depot 5 gallon bucket lid spins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotched

Reaction score
I made a Graff today since everyone is doing it.

I used a Home Depot Orange 5 gallon bucket with the lid.

I pushed it down with my hands (with a decent amount of force), and felt it "click" into place, but the lid will still spin in circles .... :confused:

It says to hammer the lid down like a drum head lug pattern - do I need to do this or is already on?

There's supposed to be a rubber gasket. I use a rubber mallet to close it good and tight.

M_C

I almost posted that, I was going to tell him to go back and get it.wasnt shure. I bought a 2 gallon home depot paint bucket no gasket but it was fairly airtight only used it 2X and got airlock bubbles on one(maybe i didnt press down good enough on the first time?)asked if they sold gaskets for that and they said no so was skepticle of using it also, have since got 2 gallon wide mouth glass jars that i cant get air-tite.Did 6 beers from them and finished out well with no airlock bubbles.Still trying to figure out how to seal it better-thinking about trying teflon tape then serran then masking tape.

I almost posted that, I was going to tell him to go back and get it.wasnt shure. I bought a 2 gallon home depot paint bucket no gasket but it was fairly airtight only used it 2X and got airlock bubbles on one(maybe i didnt press down good enough on the first time?)asked if they sold gaskets for that and they said no so was skepticle of using it also, have since got 2 gallon wide mouth glass jars that i cant get air-tite.Did 6 beers from them and finished out well with no airlock bubbles.Still trying to figure out how to seal it better-thinking about trying teflon tape then serran then masking tape.

Head down to a Wal Mart Super center and ask the folks back in the birthday cake section if you can have some frosting buckets. I got 3 last week for free. The lids have gaskets in them. I bet they would fit the Home Depot buckets too.

It doesn't really matter, you really don't need an airtight seal on your fermenter. The co2 coming out of there would protect your beer. In fact many folks with arthitis and other issues don't snap the lid down on their buckets anyway, and may folks just put tinfoil, plastic wrap, metal cooie sheets or even plexiglass sheets on top of the bucket instead. It's really not crucial to be tight. The bad stuff are not ninja acrobats, they really can't get into stuff.

Nor is it important if your airlock bubbles or if you even have one. As long as there is a means for co2 to get out, nothing can get in, nor will you paint your ceiling with your beer by having a tight seal.

A spinning bucket lid will work fine, if you were uber paranoid, setting a brick or some books on top can be done, but again, it really isn't necessary.

I read a post stating that the home depot buckets aren't safe b/c they're not food safe...

I read a post stating that the home depot buckets aren't safe b/c they're not food safe...

True. And the seeping orange paint will shrink your right index finger!!

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. No one run with that.

They are safe. Thats what i firstsearched to stumble upon and discover this great website.

Yeah well there's plenty of posts that later refuted that idea and proved that they are....That's one of those long dead legends...In fact there was this posts TODAY about Lowe's Gray buckets...which pretty much are the same things as homer buckets.

Hi everyone,

I'm not a homebrewer but found this discussion (and a few others that are similar) when looking for a bucket for food storage, and thought I'd chime in for future reference when people find this page via search.

I recently bought 50 lbs. of flour and need a way to store it. I decided that my preference, if affordable, was to buy new buckets as opposed to begging for them at local bakeries (what a pain, and who knows what those buckets have been through).

I have a Lowe's right down the street. It does appear, according to comments here, that these buckets change from time to time, so it is important to go and actually look at them. The ones I found are labeled with a "2" in the recycling triangle, and are also stamped "HDPE" underneath. It is also clearly labeled as being manufactured by Encore Plastics.

As previously mentioned, the Encore HDPE (high-density polyethylene) buckets are food-safe according to the manufacturer here: http://www.e-encore.com/FAQpolyethylene.html.

One thing about the Lowe's buckets: the lids are an extremely tight fit. I could not get it off in the store, and neither could the first or second employee I talked to. Finally, a manager showed us that the best method is to place the bucket on the ground between your feet, and use both hands to pull up on one spot. Hopefully this won't be an issue, but since I'm storing food, it seems good that the lid is tight.

I am giving the buckets a good wash and will then fill them up. Best of luck to all you homebrewers--sounds like a hobby I'd like to try myself one day!

So quit repeating an old chestnut that has been proven wrong....

To tack on to Revvy's post I use Lowe's buckets from time to time for primary fermentation, they are air tight and I haven't died yet so more or less food safe :)

To tack on to Revvy's post I use Lowe's buckets from time to time for primary fermentation, they are air tight and I haven't died yet so more or less food safe :)

Well....it's not so much about life or death, but how many breasts you end up growing....

total-recall-alien-3-boobs.jpg

;)

If anyone is still concerned about the color of the bucket plastic then go to Walmart and you can buy 5 gallon food safe #2 buckets with a lid for $3.50. These are filled volume of just over 5 gallons so I do 3-4 gallon size brews in them. I typically split an 8 gallon batch into these to try different yeast strains or dry hopping.

If anyone is still concerned about the color of the bucket plastic then go to Walmart and you can buy 5 gallon food safe #2 buckets with a lid for $3.50. These are filled volume of just over 5 gallons so I do 3-4 gallon size brews in them. I typically split an 8 gallon batch into these to try different yeast strains or dry hopping.

That is pretty much what I do, 5 gallons in a carboy and 3ish in the Lowes bucket. The 5 gallons get kegged and the 3 get bottled to keep my financial backer happy.

FWIW, my oranged Home Depot bucket lids do not have a rubber gasket; and they snap on really tight....is it possible you broke one of the "hinge" things or whatever they're called?

I did a serious facepalm after paying $15 for a bucket fermenter from LHBS ... only to stumble across THE SAME BUCKET for $3.99 at Fred Meyer later that evening.

If they didn't sell Breiss LME for $1.95 /lb. We'd be done doing business.

I consider the markup to be part of my n00b tax.

FWIW, my oranged Home Depot bucket lids do not have a rubber gasket; and they snap on really tight....is it possible you broke one of the "hinge" things or whatever they're called?

I visually inspected the lids (I have 2), and they look fine/similar. I switched the lids between the buckets and had the same issue, it rotates. They were on there pretty good, 'cause it was as pita to take off.

I was excited to use my newly installed spigot/diptube =/.

Did you not get the point of my post about how it really doesn't matter if the lids rotate or not? You can still ferment in the buckert??? :confused:

Hehe. Buckert, I don't even know hert. (sorry, couldn't resist)

I know, I'm a moron.

It doesn't really matter, you really don't need an airtight seal on your fermenter.
Yes. In a pinch, I have used plastic trash cans I got at Family Dollar to primary and secondary with no problems. I did wrap the lid with plastic wrap when I used it for a secondary, but it still wasn't air tight. It still made great beer though.

There is a symbol on the bottom of plastic containers that will tell you if it's food safe. It's a number inside of a triangle. Look up the number on the internet and it will tell you what kind of plastic it is and what it can be used for. I checked the number for the orange buckets last year and it indicated they are food safe.

Yes. In a pinch, I have used plastic trash cans I got at Family Dollar to primary and secondary with no problems. I did wrap the lid with plastic wrap when I used it for a secondary, but it still wasn't air tight. It still made great beer though.

Have you seen this?

It was the may 2009 issue I think. That's the first time I posted something about it.

There's a BYO article about modding Rubbermaid Brute garbage can. They come in sizes up to 30 gallons and are food grade plastic. All they use are some spring clamps, a grommet and an airlock.

Dig it up...it is sweet!

You can have it on wheels, and use clamps to make the lid airtight, then poke a hole and add a grommet for an airlock...

This one...
1607.jpg

All you need is a grommet, keglube, an airlock and a 3-4 of these to hold down the lid during fermentation. You pop a hole in the lid and stick a grommet in for an airlock and use a little keg lube around the lid to make a good seal and clamp the lid down.

43004.jpg

Hey Revvy yea I read the post about the spinning buckert lids being ok.

I'll probably transfer carboy to the bucket for a few days (to shake stuff up), and then spigot it into a Secondary carboy.

I'll go against the grain as usual and say that it should be as close to airtight as possible. My reason is... fruit flies and other bugs are very attracted to the wort/beer. There have been many times that they have found their way into my airlock; I just don't want bugs in my beer.

I'll go against the grain as usual and say that it should be as close to airtight as possible. My reason is... fruit flies and other bugs are very attracted to the wort/beer. There have been many times that they have found their way into my airlock; I just don't want bugs in my beer.

how did the beer turn out?

Head down to a Wal Mart Super center and ask the folks back in the birthday cake section if you can have some frosting buckets. I got 3 last week for free. The lids have gaskets in them. I bet they would fit the Home Depot buckets too.

was gonna do the same, how many gallons do the cake center buckets hold?

Did you not get the point of my post about how it really doesn't matter if the lids rotate or not? You can still ferment in the buckert??? :confused:

as a seasoned vet i'm sure you could do without but being a newb i still like to hear all the bubbles :D

Ive used a green bucket from Menards ( home supply store ) a few times and had no problems. The lid not having a good seal was not an issue since the internal pressure from the produced CO2 kept anything from getting in. Still had good enough pressure to make the airlock bubble like crazy.

They were 5 gallon buckets the same size as the home depot ones except the handle is plastic instead of metal. Should be perfect for 3-4 gallon batches.

alas, i tried a walmart down the road and the lady said they can't give out their buckets anymore, they have to send back someplace. i'll try another walmart though to make sure she wasn't BSing me. if true, i guess i'll settle for the $2.50 white bucket they sell at walmart - made by the same company, encore plastics, that does the lowes grey buckets without the annoying HUGE lowes logo on front.

You should make sure the buckets are food safe and have the right plastic code on them. And Ive read that even the code dont always mean they are food safe. Thats why using the regular buckets sold at stores is not the best idea. Ive been using menards buckets for a while now but in the back of my mind I am always wondering if maybe its not as safe as the plastic code says it is. This makes the empty food buckets you can get free from grocery store bakeries a great choice , but its hard to get all the flavors/smells out of the bucket from whatever was in there before and if it was frosting its almost impossible to get all the grease ( shortening ) out of it. I washed one 4 times , and even after brewing in it twice there is still a minor oil slick that seeps out of the bucket and develops on top of the beer.

have you tried soaking it in oxyclean? works for me to get plastic and beer smells out of things

I notice that my Homer bucket is made about 20 miles from here, which makes me think that they probably use a variety of manufacturers. Ours don't have a gasket, but sitting right next to them in Home Depot is a batch of white ones from the same manufacturer with all the same markings on the bottom that are labeled "Food Safe" (printed on the side). The white ones cost twice as much, probably because of the lack of advertising value.

I notice that my Homer bucket is made about 20 miles from here, which makes me think that they probably use a variety of manufacturers...
I think you're right about that. The buckets at my Home Depot are made in Leominster, MA and they have a gasket in the lid.

So, would a 5 gallon Lowe's/Home Depot bucket be perfect for a secondary vessel?

Just thinking aloud...

Back