Home brewing in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi 12oz,

I am also new to homebrewing and lagering, but I tried my first lager 2 weeks ago. It never showed much activity and the krausen was hardly visible, but after two weeks the SG dropped to 1.020, so there has been activity (just not visible).
You should maybe check your gravity in a few days and check if something has happened. Maybe you didnt pitch enough yeast. I used 2 packs of dry lager yeast.

A quick questions here too:
Has anyone bought the crushed malt from Asahi malt? It looks like its really crushed to almost powder in the picture on their site. Anyone got experience with this? I plan on getting their ale malt (crushed) as a base malt to experiment a bit with.

Best,
Wim

Asahi malt is very fine. Their process is probably adapted to this. I used it when doing BIAB and typically had a lot of trub before hitting the fermenter. I filtered my wort on the way into the bucket. Man, that brings back memories...

Thanks!

I am doing BIAB, so might need to find a way to filter it out as well.
I was thinking of putting a hop bag at the end of my siphon, would that work?

Best,
Wim

Well, every setup is different, but I'm guessing it will fill up quickly if you can't do a whirlpool or your picking up from the bottom of the kettle. During those days, I had not ball valve or siphon. I used one of those stainless steel mesh baskets that stretch across the top of the sinks here. I placed it over the bucket. Then I put some sort of mesh over that-might have been laundry bags, might have been large filters of some sort, I don't remember. Then I dumped the entire contents into that.

At other times I just stretched a laundry bag over the top of the bucket and poured everything in. I then cooled in the bucket.

Is homebrewing in Japan legalized yet? I heard that the Coopers distributor failed to last more than 6 or 8 months and they lost their shirt?

I am doing my first lager and I pitched the yeast Monday morning and there has been no activity as of yet. Should I be nervous? My fridge that I am using is right at 50 degrees F. Any suggestions?
Thanks, 12oz

If you pitched one package of yeast, yeah, be a little nervous. It'll come along, but slowly, and the finished product won't be as crisp since you probably under pitched. Remember that lager yeast is a bottom fermenting yeast. You won't get a big krausen like an ale yeast. Give it 10 days at 50, and then slowly raise it up a few degrees every day till you hit 65 or 68. That warming up will help the yeast clean up after itself. Then either bottle or cold crash and keg.

Tektonjp,
Thanks for the reassurance. I saw some activity when I checked it this afternoon so I'll just let everything run it's course and see what happens. Should two packs of yeast be used for lagers normally?

Cheers,12oz

Hi all,

I had some free time at work today and found another wholesaler for malt:
http://www.kanbaku.co.jp/
I did not see that name around here, so I was wondering if anyone had experience with them.
They seem pretty friendly after I mailed them for a price list.
A bit more expensive than Asahi malt, but you can order packs of 10kg as well as 20kg. They seem to be crushing the malt too, but it might be a fine crush cause the Japanese word translated "pulverized" (粉砕)...
Here are their prices:
・国産麦芽(ピルスナー(Pilsner)2.5-4.0EBC) 295円/kg
・国産麦芽(ペールエール(Pale Ale)5-8EBC) 310円/kg
・国産麦芽(ウイーン(Vienna)8-14EBC) 320円/kg
・国産麦芽(ミュンヒナー(Münchner)14-25EBC) 330円/kg

Best,
Wim

Hello everyone.
I have been brewing for about a year and a half in Kyoto. I have been all grain brewing for about a year.
From the laws about home brewing and such, I had assumed home brewing was almost unheard of in Japan. But from the looks of this forum, there are a lot of people out there. Anyway, I just wanted to say a general hello. Was also wondering if there were any get togethers in the Kansai region where people exchanged, talked about, brewed together home-brews. Was thinking it would be nice to get in touch with other people who do this.

Hello everyone.
I have been brewing for about a year and a half in Kyoto. I have been all grain brewing for about a year.
From the laws about home brewing and such, I had assumed home brewing was almost unheard of in Japan. But from the looks of this forum, there are a lot of people out there. Anyway, I just wanted to say a general hello. Was also wondering if there were any get togethers in the Kansai region where people exchanged, talked about, brewed together home-brews. Was thinking it would be nice to get in touch with other people who do this.
If you are on FB, friend me @ Robert Scott Murray. I can then put you on the Kinki Homebrewers group. BTW, I'm in Shiga.

Tektonjp,

Thank you! I am heading on over to FB now. Actually, I tried to join that group once but got no reply:)

Does anyone live in or near Niigata on this forum? Would be good to find someone to split grains etc. Would like to buy in bulk and save some cash, but don't have much storage room.

Hi FunkyChef... I am in Niigata City... You been brewing long? Would be interested in knowing where you get your supplies especially sanitiser. At the moment I am using bleach and as I am bottling it is a real pain washing, sanitising and rinsing. I haven't been able to find any no-rinse sanitiser.

Hi Sconky03. Ive been brewing for just over 12months now. I got my sanitiser from http://www.homebrewing-service.com/scfta-sanitizer.htm they have starsan. Its as bit expensive but so much better than bleach. I was the same as you. I was using baby bottle wash wich is a mild bleach then rinsing with pre boiled water.
Most other stuff i buy from sakeland and base malt from Asahi.

I figured out how to convert my regulator .... I replaced the nut that connects to the tank with an adapter nut that I found in the electronics section at Nafco. I believe it was a 5/8 nut.

I am actually running into the same problem. I found this thread, but how do you replace the nut on the regulator? I do not see how I will possibly be able to replace the nut. I have been try to turn the stem with a wrench with all my force, but it just seems to be damaging the the stem.
Also, do you have a pic of the bolt you got with the package?

Best,
Wim

Hello,

I have been looking for those paint strainer bags here in Japan, but so far have not been successful. Has anyone found them here in Japan? I have looked around a few home centers so far and tried searching Rakuten.
I am trying to build one of those hop spiders for hop additions during the boil.

Best,
Wim

Hello,

I have been looking for those paint strainer bags here in Japan, but so far have not been successful. Has anyone found them here in Japan? I have looked around a few home centers so far and tried searching Rakuten.
I am trying to build one of those hop spiders for hop additions during the boil.

Best,
Wim

I just use nylon laundry bags from the 100 yen store. Lots of different sizes you can choose from. One which I made used a SS 15cm cake form (100 yen) and a cheap laundry bag. It works.

Mooh,

The nut I used to convert my regulator was maybe about 5/8 size. I am currently away from home so I can not check. I got it in the electronic aisle at Nafco. Near the tubing for wires. Sorry I can't be more helpful

Hi there! New sign up living in Okayama. Have been wanting to get into home brewing for a long time, but have also wanted to learn from someone "in the know".

Would be great to meet up with some people within the "local" area, preferably within the surrounding prefectures, and learn by doing.

Hey tektonjp,
thank for the idea, but I noticed that all laundry bags in daiso are up to max. 80 degrees C. So I suppose you won't be able to use these during the boil. I use them for BIAB, but I am afraid for using them in the boil.

Fastforwardx2,
Thank you for the reply. But I found another solution on this thread here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=338713
I got this from Rakuten yesterday, and it fits perfectly.

Best,
Wim

Anyone know where I can pick up some pectic enzyme (for wine making) here?
In general, where is the best place to get wine making goods like wine yeasts and wine nutrients?
(Adv. Brewing has a lot listed but most is always "SOLD OUT".)

Anyone know where I can pick up some pectic enzyme (for wine making) here?
In general, where is the best place to get wine making goods like wine yeasts and wine nutrients?
(Adv. Brewing has a lot listed but most is always "SOLD OUT".)

Stealing your post, Blue Frog, but this is a good chance to ask:

I keep running across comments from homebrewing folks about how hard it is to get stuff from the two online stores here (Sakeland and Advanced Brewing). Although I am a total net noob, I keep thinking maybe a third presence might be needed, one that keeps stuff in stock, perhaps less gear and more ingredients. If I can put things together, what would you all look for (and support!) in a supply store here in Japan?

I am still pretty new to homebrewing, but it seems that they only sell just a few hop varieties. Would be cool to be able to order more different kinds of hops and nut have to pay so much for shipping.

Better hop and malt selection, kegs!, more liquid yeast options.
Advanced's prices are high but they have the best selection. Sakeland usually has malt and stuff at half the price Advanced sells it for, but the selection (and site layout) is poor.

More liquid yeast would be amazing, but even just a better selection of dry yeast would be great. There are so many more options in dry yeast than just a few years ago, but still it's hard to find much more than S-04, US-05, and maybe a couple of others over here.

Mooh, I'm guessing you've already seen, but did you see the hips bags on Advanced Brewing? I don't know Japanese so I might be missing something. I just use the bags for steeping tea and just use a few of them and throw them in.

Oh, also Tokyu hands had something that would probably work, I just remember it was a big bag near the tea section, but that was a while ago.

OK, No fish bit my Q about local sources for wine pectin enzymes... など

How about a suggestion as to a good overseas source for beer and WINEmaking supplies?

Good Prices Good stuff and Good shipping value....

When you have to buy internationally, Where do you shop?

OK, No fish bit my Q about local sources for wine pectin enzymes... など

How about a suggestion as to a good overseas source for beer and WINEmaking supplies?

Good Prices Good stuff and Good shipping value....

When you have to buy internationally, Where do you shop?

For small stuff, I always check ebay first. You can usually find stores there that use cheap shipping. Next, I'll check Amazon, their international shipping section. Same reasoning.

When I can't find stuff locally I used to get from ebay but lately I get it from an online store in Taiwan as shipping is much cheaper. They even have Nelson Sauvrin diybeersupply.com.tw

Hello everyone, new to the site here. Navy home brewer here stationed in Yokosuka. Was hoping someone could help me out and point me in the right direction to find CO2 here close to base? Thanks everyone!

Erik

Hi Erik,
I'm also stationed at the base. There is a store a few blocks down from Yokosukachuo, same street, same side called Mine Mart. It's a Japanese liquor store and that's where I get my co2. It helps if you speak a little Japanese, I speak none so it was a little rocky when I got mine. They'll ask for a deposit first, then it's between 2000-3000 yen for refills. Any questions and I can try to help.

Hi Erik,
I'm also stationed at the base. There is a store a few blocks down from Yokosukachuo, same street, same side called Mine Mart. It's a Japanese liquor store and that's where I get my co2. It helps if you speak a little Japanese, I speak none so it was a little rocky when I got mine. They'll ask for a deposit first, then it's between 2000-3000 yen for refills. Any questions and I can try to help.

Awesome, thanks! My wife is Japanese so should be pretty easy! Thanks again!

Anyone know anywhere in Japan (website) where I can get yeast dry or liquid? I need asap but sakeland and advanced only have by special order. Thanks!

Sorry Touge, I have no idea.

I have a question hoping you guys can help me out. I'm going to the states for work for a couple days. Does anyone know if I can bring back a 50lb sack of grain in my checked luggage? I'm not worried about the additional weight charges, only the customs process. Thank you. I'll be returning to the Hiroshima area if anyone needs some brew stuff.

Back