Home brew virgin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alchemist

Reaction score
Hello from Upstate NY,
I'm a first timer, and I'm kinda hopeing (hopping? hoping? I need a spelling tutor too) to get some advice before I start buying things. I've already got a couple of glass carboys (left in the apartment when I moved in, score!), I just need sage-like wisdom as to how I should select my first brew. I'd like to do hefe, but is that gonna be too difficult for my first one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No, in fact, a hefeweizen is a great, straightforward first extract brew.

Do you have a local homebrew store? If so, I'd say go there and get your advice, your gear,and your ingredients for your hefeweizen. Tell the local homebrew store (LHBS) guy that you want to do an extract-only hefeweizen, either from from a kit or (preferably) from dry malt extract. Insist on a liquid yeast strain specifically for hefeweizen because that is what makes this particular style.

If you need a recipe, try this:

6 pounds dry wheat extract
1.5 oz Hallertauer hops pellets
Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Yeast
(or 3068 Weihenstephan)
(or 3333 German Wheat)
(Or the White Labs brand equivalent if that's what your LHBS stocks)

Those are the only ingrediants you need, other than some corn sugar for bottling.

We can give you specific instructions if your LHBS guy doesn't.

Welcome to the obession.

Latest posts

Back