Home Brew Bourbon Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckHoosier

Reaction score
I'm a relative novice when it comes to brewing. I've completed a couple of batches before, but it's been over a year. I'm currently brewing a Brewer's Best Irish Stout. I'm thinking about adding a coffee or bourbon flavor to it. Any recommendations on how to best add this flavor. I think I've got a decent hold on the coffee (thinking about cold brew and adding at bottling), but what about the bourbon? Appreciate any recommendations.

Use bourbon sparingly. You'll probably want to add a small amount, wait a few days and taste to see if it's enough or not. If it's not, add another small addition and repeat as necessary. I've found bourbon can be a bold flavor that takes a long time to mellow in beer so like most anything you add to your beer it's better to start small and add to taste.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up using 2 oz of oak chips soaked in Maker's 46. I soaked the chips for approximately 5 days and added them directly to the secondary upon transfer from the primary. At 4 weeks there is a strong but not overwhelming oak flavor. The bourbon is subtle. Appreciate everyone's input!

Back