Holy Crapoly!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopmd

Reaction score
I know that those not from the midwest probably will not feel my pain, but on my way home for lunch today the price of gas is $3.40/ gallon. Last week I filled up at $2.43/gallon. :eek:

loop

We feel your pain. I'm in upstate NY and we were just looking online. Our prices in the Albany area range from $2.61 to $3.30 a gal. I just read an article on CNN that said we should be prepared for it to hit $4.00 gal.

Will we all finally realize that we should take the damn stuff from our own country. Drilling in Alaska will not mess up the beutiful forests, and it will not only give us more oil, but force the prices in the MidEast down.

Now that they are tapping from the strategic reserve, I would expect prices to drop - after Labor Day weekend. At least I hope so. Remember when Clinton merely talked of tapping into the reserves (he never actually did) when prices were high in the '90s? The market dropped the price just on speculation!

Makes me glad I don't drive an SUV.

Shmohel said:
Will we all finally realize that we should take the damn stuff from our own country. Drilling in Alaska will not mess up the beutiful forests, and it will not only give us more oil, but force the prices in the MidEast down.
As much as I'd love to debate you on this issue, there seems to be an informal agreement here to eschew political discussions.

vtfan99 said:
I would have thought this as well. Unfortunately the experts think differently. I can't tell you how much I hope they are wrong.

We'll see. The article makes no mention of tapping the reserve. It has less to do with supply and more to do with people's emotions!

Just for fun, I'm gonna go out in my backyard and shoot holes in the ground, just like Jed Clampett, and see what shoots up.

El Pistolero said:
As much as I'd love to debate you on this issue, there seems to be an informal agreement here to eschew political discussions.

Ahh, I remember last time I fell into that trap. Agreed. Besides, it is not a point I would feel strongly enough to engage into a debate.

Your self restraint is well noted, however.

What really burns me is not too long ago OPEC said that if they didn't cut oil production there would be a world wide surplus of oil and they feared that this would drive down the per barrel price of curde! :mad:

It all boils down to a little known economic principle called Tough Titty. You need gas for the family car, work truck, bulldozer, etc.. They have gas. Realise that any excuse will do for raising the price of gas. It's a holiday weekend, the next seven days all end with a Y, we need more money. This isn't political, it's a greed thing. Let me add that I hope none of you own an oil company, I don't want to offend. What's this going to do to the price of homebrew ingredients? They ride on a truck at some point along the line from field to fermenter. How about the price of electricity? They have trucks too. Relax, we'll all get raises to compensate for the higher price of groceries, getting to work, etc. By the way, I'm selling woodstoves and candles for this coming winter. Get your orders in early!

You, Sir, are a man after my own heart. I'm starting to think that you may just be related to me and El P. Anyway, lawnmowing isn't a problem. I do it with livestock. Er,, mow the lawn, that is.

GAH! $3.79 this morning!!! And that was at the cheap station!!!

gaelone said:
That isn't regular, is it??
:eek:

Yea, for regular gas at a no name station. The premium there was 4.09. I filled up a couple weeks ago for 2.79, and I had paid a little more than some other places, so I had resigned myself to paying 2.85 or so. And then I start driving and start paying attention to the prices and was astonished to see that in 2 weeks they jumped a whole friggin dollar!

Wish I had a bike, my office is not that far from my house.

When I left my house yesterday morning the two stations near my house were $2.79. When I got home at 6pm they were both $3.19!

Sudsmonkey, greed doesn't even begin to discribe this. Gas around here went up over 50 cets a gal today and it's the same stuff they were selling at $2.60 the day before. All it takes now is a turtle farting in the Gulf for them to raise the price. If oil goes down though you don't see gas fall as fast. The oil companys have been trying to get the price of a gallon of gas above $3 for a long time and now they finally have their excuse. Don't bet the farm on gas prices going down after this 'emergency' is over.

Yep, glad I filled up Wednesday night. Cheapest near me for 87-oct was $2.69 yesterday morning and they were up to $3.09 last night. And that's the cheapest! The average is ~$3.25.

http://gaswatch.energy.gov

Check this out. Stations and companies that are absurd in their prices can be reported. I guess the Energy Dept is going after places that are charging extreme amounts. I heard there was a place in GA selling for near $6!

I understand the NJ highway authority has an agreement with stations along the turnpike and parkway whereby they can only change prices at midnite on fridays. Last I saw it was 2.57. I'm sure by tomorrow it'll have jumped substantially...time to fill up! :rolleyes:

gaelone said:
I understand the NJ highway authority has an agreement with stations along the turnpike and parkway whereby they can only change prices at midnite on fridays. Last I saw it was 2.57. I'm sure by tomorrow it'll have jumped substantially...time to fill up! :rolleyes:

That is good to know! Thanks...

gaelone said:

That is a little out of my way. :)

It's bout time citizens put pressure on the govt., car makers, and oil companies. Until we do, accept the same. And complaining too each other doesn't count. IF our reps in govt. weren't so easily bought, and they feared us (the public), and not big companies things would be different. Thats just my opinion though, and we all know that opinions are like ******** everyone has one. :)

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

Shmohel said:
$5.87 in GA.

Prices are still going to be going up.

Check out this link though, this worries me.
At Least Ten U.S. Airports Face Closure Due to Jet Fuel Shortages...

Turn them in.

I heard that when one barrel of crude raises $1 the impact to the comsumer is $0.01.

Greed is what's driving the car(t) now.

The sad thing is that someone is going to end up getting killed over this.

Earlier this year somewhere in "Microasia" the gov't raised the fuel prices for taxi drivers by 40%. After a few riots and several killings it was lowered back to the original price.

What's happening now is truly criminal.

homebrewer_99 said:
What's happening now is truly criminal.
Here's an interesting read on what's really happening now...according to this Katrina has done nothing but accelerate the inevitable. Pretty scary stuff. :(

Hey guys, the real story is Wall Street. These guys are controlling the crude oil prices. Katrina has caused supply shortages in some areas and other areas are using the panic to gouge. Wall Street is the real culprit ..at least in my mind it is. It's the same Gorilla that got Sudsmonkey down south.

El Pistolero said:
Here's an interesting read on what's really happening now...according to this Katrina has done nothing but accelerate the inevitable. Pretty scary stuff. :(

Reminds me of all the crap circulating around in the 70's. Bunch of bs. It's just greed that is driving the prices up at the pump. I didn't mean for this thread to get so political, it just pi$$e$ me off to no end when these f&c*#rs (gas stations) raise the prices so high and they are all so organized. :mad:

now, let's relax and have a homebrew!!

Well, I'm in the envyable position of having a father in law that owns a fuel company. He delivers fuel to farm and business customers. He buys truckloads of fuel from a local pipeline/terminal at wholesale prices, marks it up, and sells it. (and we get to fuel up for free!)

On Tuesday, people in the region began hoarding gasoline. I saw some guy in a Toyota Sienna with 10 2.5 gallon gas cans strapped to his roof that evening (God only knows how much gas he had INSIDE the van). That same evening, my father-in-law got a fax from his supplier that said that the terminal hadn't recieved a shipment of unleaded in a couple days, demand was spiking, and their supply was dwindling. They said they would now only sell half truckloads, and it would cost $4.00/gallon until they get another shipment.

He had several thousand gallons of unleaded he had purchased at $2.20-$2.50 and customers calling like crazy. He rationed the "cheap gas" out to his customers, at the lower price, then when he ran out, he had to buy a half tanker load of $4 gasoline. Naturally, the price to his customers shot up accordingly. Everyone is pissed off. Everyone thinks he's gouging. What the hell is he supposed to do? Does he buy at $4 and sell at $2.50. I can tell you, he could do that for a couple days before he goes broke... no, strike that... before he goes into heavy debt.

I think this problem is partially because of the hurricane, partially because fuel isn't getting transported where it needs to go, and partially because people are panicing.

Like I said, I get my gas for free. I'm incredibly lucky. In spite of that, we've taken measures to save gasoline. Until further notice, I drive the SUV, or ride my bike to work, and my wife takes the sports car, (which gets 10 mpg better than the SUV) to her job, which is 20 miles away.

We all need to chip in, car pool, conserve gasoline, and hope that the oil fields, refineries and transportation system get restored soon in the New Orleans region. But first, lives need to be saved, people need to be helped, and perhaps most importantly, people need to be inspired.

andre the giant said:
I am, however, brewing my Hefeweizen tonight. Energy prices and conservation be damned! I just wish I could donate some homebrew to the rescue workers in LA, MS and AL. :(

Ahh, back to the discussion.

Speaking of brewing and Katrina - I read a post on BA about a brewpub owner who weathered the storm in his pub, and is serving free beer and allowing his place to be used as a shelter.

By any chase do you have any daughters my son can date. :D He is still a little young, 20 months, but maybe we can work something out. J/K

andre the giant said:
Well, I'm in the envyable position of having a father in law that owns a fuel company. He delivers fuel to farm and business customers. He buys truckloads of fuel from a local pipeline/terminal at wholesale prices, marks it up, and sells it. (and we get to fuel up for free!)

All this crap has me thinking. Can we be that far from the end of society as we know it? Glad I have horses, I don't like walking more than a couple of miles. Everything here is going up. Lady at the local convenience store told me that cigarettes went up 40 cents a pack yesterday. Glad I can brew my own beer. The powers that be won't get me that way. I agree with Clay on the point that if the govt. feared us instead of big industry, things would get better for the little man. I'm not advocating revolution, though I love the Beatles song. Problem is, we're all in the same boat, but we can't all stick together. We're divided by so many lines that we can't agree on much. You're a republican, I'm Free- Will Primative Hindu, he's black and you're asian and what the Hell is El P. , anyway? The one thing we agree on is beer, but only to the point that we all enjoy making and drinking it. Styles differ. I guess we can just suck it up and have a beer.

Sorry Guys, that turned into a rant. Drinking tonight. My apologies.

Viva El Monkey ! :mad:

Latest posts

Back