holy crap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try different IPAs before you write them all off. I absolutely hate Stone IPA. Tastes like flowers in my mouth.

On the other hand, I love Sweetwater IPA, MOJO, Bell's Two Hearted, DFH 60, Sierra Nevada, Duclaw Venom, Troegs Nugget Nectar, Stone Ruination, etc. There are different types of IPAs, so you just have to keep tasting them all to see if any do it for you. Troeg's makes a nice compromise amber called Hopback Amber. Great hop flavor and aroma, but still enough maltiness to make it very drinkable.

+1 on the Nugget Nectar. Weyerbacher Hops Infusion is a good one as well.

Just to toss in my 2 cents, IPA's are not for everyone, but as your pallette expands, so will your taste for some of the more hop heavy beers. It may never be your first choice, but it might be something you pick up as an alternative to what you usually drink.

Drinking Beer is a little like drinking wine. Most people don't pick up a bold red and proclaim that they love it. They usually start with something that doesn't overpower their taste buds. If they like that, at some point they will want to try different things.

And I will say that I LOVE the Stone IPA.

One of my first beers was Harpoon IPA. Even then I didn't think it was too bitter.
Of course, back then Tabasco Sauce was a cordial for me, so my taste buds may have been overworked.
I recently had it again and it's still bloody awesome!
But I'd call it a slightly hoppier pale ale, which, I'm guessing, is what a real IPA is supposed to be. It's definitely not a West Coast IPA, which Stone's is.
See if you can find some English IPAs. If you like them, IMO you're a hop head.
The rest of us are just extreme hop heads. :)

Lagunitas IPA is great. Very well balanced IMO. A Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is another good example of a borderline APA/IPA.

Haha - when I read your post I thought maybe it was a joke, that you were just planting it to get the logical response. Since no one else has done it yet, I'll post the logical response (the "You're not worthy" spiel from Stone's label - actually on Arrogant Bastard, not the IPA):

“This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory — maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."​

LOL I still remember this happening to me as well when I tried my first Stone IPA. I had tried it right after having an Arrogant Bastard (which was the hoppiest of the hoppys for me at the time)

I too didnt like it either. It was bitter, and damned tough. I borderline hated it.
Now, IPAs are pretty much all I drink. And yes, I like the hop bombs but a balanced IPA that is smooth to drink is the best.
-Me

I'm a German lager kinda guy. I like darker ales as well. American style IPAs are beers that I avoid. On occasion, I will have an English style IPA that is more malt/hop balanced.

I agree that beer is like food, everyone has different flavors they like. My brother loves IPAs but thought Dogfishhead's 90 min was a bit much.

But when all is said and done, beer is just a product for sale and if it sells enough, then the company will make more and sell it. If a beer stays on the market for awhile, then it must have a good following. And with the proliferation of extremely hoppy beers out there, there must be a lot of hopheads buying beers.

That's ok, if you look in my beer fridge you'll see one keg of oktoberfest, one keg of porter and one keg of cider ... just the way I like it.

cheers

~r~

There are two things to take away from this:

1. You do need to ease into hops, for the most part. I used to hate pale ales, and now I like a good IPA most of the time. Not liking them, though, is also fine, and it's not like you're a bad person or don't appreciate craft beer if you don't like them. Leading into

2. I am so goddamn sick of Stone and their idea that dumping more hops into a vat makes good beer. I sat there sniffing and swirling their 13th Anniversary in my mouth until my wife made fun of me (even more than usual) but ALL I could get out of it was 'piny, resinous west coast hops.' No depth of flavor, no malt, nothing. Bitterness that coated your tongue. I guess it's good for what it is, but between that and their IPAs, whatever. Brew something different (I thought the 09 VE needs much more aging too). I did like the Cali-Belgique IPA, if it makes a difference.

Oh how our tastes differ...

I actually worship the Stone IPA.

A very close second for me right now is the Great Divide Hercules Double IPA...

More HOPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can find it, Bison Brewery in Berkeley does a pretty mild English-style IPA that would be a slightly easier intro to the world of hops. I'm not sure if they distribute much outside northern California, though.

Lagunitas IPA is my go-to beer for being in random pubs in the Bay Area, since they get carried all over. It's also not particularly over the top with the hops, but it's definitely more than your usual pale.

To throw my hat into the ring...

Easier drinking, approachable IPA's:
Red Hook Longhammer - The original Ballard Bitter
Widmer Bros Broken Halo
Pyramid IPA
Bridgeport IPA - One of my all-time favorites

The Classic American IPA
Anchor Liberty

Great West Coast Style IPAs
Stone IPA - Drier, more crisp, cleaner malt profile with assertive hop flavor and aroma, my absolute favorite
Lagunitas IPA - Bigger body, maltier, the opposite of the spectrum from Stone
Russian River Blind Pig IPA - Full of resiny hop flavor, almost like a smaller Pliny.

There's a bunch more that could go on my west coast centric list, but these are my favorites. I'd add others like DFH, but I've never had one out here that didn't get abused in transit, so I'll wait till I get one fresh to render a decision.

I've had plenty of IPA's, from just about every brewery I've had the chance to visit or find on the shelf. For those of you that say IPA's can't have balance, you're wrong, sorry. There are some out there that are out of balance either in bitterness (too high or low), malt (usually too big or sweet) or other malt flavors (a few that have had a big toasty biscuit/bread crust that was overpowering).

I good American IPA should have several characteristics that I think really make the beer. Without reciting the BJCP guidelines:

1. IPA's should be assertively bitter. Not overpowering where any other flavors are pushed aside, but definately balanced on the bitter side of even.

2. IPA's need to showcase the hop flavors and aromas. I want to be able to taste and smell the wonderful hops. Orange, grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, pine, tropical fruit. Without the big flavor and aroma the bitterness is for nothing.

3. The malt needs to be clean and attenuted. A good malt flavor with hints of grain, biscuits or toast is great. So is a slight touch of some crystal malt. It should not have so much specialty malt that the result is sweet. Too much competing for the same flavor space.

4. Above all it should be drinkable. Regardless of strength or balance with hop or malt, an IPA should refreshing. My favorite standard to this is the second glass. If I finish the first and want another, then the brewer is on the right track.

I am going to give it another try...It down right burned my stomach (it was kinda empty though) when I drank it....I did the worst thing I could ever do...I dumped it.

Someone earlier asked where I lived in CA. I live in the Inland Empire (Rancho Cucamonga is very close to me). I don't frequent BevMo that often but decided I wanted to try several new beers before I finished my 2 tier RIMS build and made the attempt to AG brewing.

My favorite IPA ( Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale ) will be out soon and Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin is another winner, although maybe too much to start with;). I took a quick liking to hops and a dislike of too malty, so I love IPA's and IIPA's and don't like Barleywines and RIS's

I also bought a porter out of San Diego....now that is more my flavor!!! It is made by Ballast Point in San Diego....very good.

Like I said, I will give the IPA's another shot

A good, flavorful IPA is Green Flash West Coast IPA. It's an excellent IPA which, while still bitter (95 IBU), it's very delicious with orange, tangerine and grapefruit flavors.

If you like Ballast's Porter (Black Marlin?) try their Victory at Sea. Also, on the darker side of beers, try Ballast Point's barrel-aged Sea Monster. Yum! Green Flash's Imperial Stout will also blow your socks off.

Green Flash is also in San Diego (Vista).

Good luck with the IPAs. I used to dislike them but Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA changed me forever.

To throw my hat into the ring...

Easier drinking, approachable IPA's:
Red Hook Longhammer - The original Ballard Bitter
Widmer Bros Broken Halo
Pyramid IPA
Bridgeport IPA - One of my all-time favorites

The Classic American IPA
Anchor Liberty

Great West Coast Style IPAs
Stone IPA - Drier, more crisp, cleaner malt profile with assertive hop flavor and aroma, my absolute favorite
Lagunitas IPA - Bigger body, maltier, the opposite of the spectrum from Stone
Russian River Blind Pig IPA - Full of resiny hop flavor, almost like a smaller Pliny.

That is a solid list right there

Awesome! I never thought my "IPA's YUCK" post would generate so much advice...thanks for the help!

IMHO if I'm looking for a good ipa in CA I go to either pizza port brewing and have a wipe out ipa or I go to Oggies pizza and brewery. At Oggies they have torrie pines ipa which is great but wipeout at pizza port is beter I think, but the Oggies has hop juice, its a double ipa that is a hop delivery device. I love it, at 10.2% I have 2 pints and I'm a happy guy. Before I started brewing I hated beer, all tasted like crap to me, then I had a roomie that was into beers, he taught me some things and I found myself pulled towards the ipa's and iipa's Everyone is going to have their own tastes and what they like, find what tastes good to you and try and pepper in some new stuff from time to time. You will find what works for you and you'll be happy and that's what it all boils down to

I have to give another vote to Harpoon IPA. The hop bitterness is pretty low key for an IPA, and I've used it to bring a few hop-haters into the fold. I also think Flying Dog's Snake Dog IPA is pretty well balanced for the hop-virgin palette, and I'm a sucker for a 90 Minute IPA (or an Alehouse 75 if you're ever one the east coast and happen across a DFH Alehouse). All very drinkable, especially with food (pizza is the great hop equalizer).

Personally I didn't like hoppy beers initially either. Then I found out I was just drinking bad hoppy beers. After falling in love with the APA and EPA styles I started to crave the hops, and went back to find that I can indeed enjoy an IPA.

I also think it's easier for the homebrewer to get into hoppy beers, because we handle the ingredients. Its much easier to pick out and focus on the aspects of the hops you personally enjoy when you work with them. For the hop-novice all those IBUs can be overwhelming.

I also bought a porter out of San Diego....now that is more my flavor!!! It is made by Ballast Point in San Diego....very good.

Like I said, I will give the IPA's another shot

Ballast Point's Black Marlin is a great beer. If you can get that, see if you can get a bottle of Scuplin. You're close enough to SD that you should be able to find it. It is very much an IPA, but also sort of stands on its own in taste. I would recommend it as an IPA that is big, but not too aggressive. Much more grapefruit aromas in that one.

Green Flash West Coast is good, but I think more bitter than you'll like.

Alesmith IPA is good, and if you want to try something hoppy but smaller, get a bottle of Alesmith X. Lots of hops present, but without being a killer on the bitterness.

And I'd agree with anything from Pizza Port, but not Port Brewing. They're very different animals. There's a ton of good beer coming from SD right now, though, and you can't go wrong with most of it. I don't drink Stone's IPA at all. It is really one dimensional and I'm not a fan of the way it is bittered.

I went to Colorado a few years ago before I knew that much about beer. I did a tasting with a guy from Avery Brewing and he gave us a ridiculous number of different beers (and amount). Towards the end is when we got to the IPAs. After we drank it most people in the group liked it. He said he had screwed with us a little and walked up the IBUs slowly. He did it over about the course of 10 beers. After that happened I kinda knew what was going on with my palate and didn't let them scare me anymore.

DFH 90 is awsome. 60 is good and 120 is ..... different.

I think it's probably best to start drinking regular, American pale ales (APA's). Get to know the hops little by little, instead of all at once with an IPA. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is readily available everywhere now and was probably the beer that got me started into enjoying higher IBU beers. Anchor Liberty Ale, Three Floyds Alpha King, Bell's and Troegs are some of my personal favorites.

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head was the beer that took me on the road to hop-headedness and led me to enjoy tear-your-face-off-hop-bombs like Avery Majaraja, Stone Ruination and Troegs' Nugget Nectar.

I think it's probably best to start drinking regular, American pale ales (APA's). Get to know the hops little by little, instead of all at once with an IPA. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is readily available everywhere now and was probably the beer that got me started into enjoying higher IBU beers. Anchor Liberty Ale, Three Floyds Alpha King, Bell's and Troegs are some of my personal favorites.

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head was the beer that took me on the road to hop-headedness and led me to enjoy tear-your-face-off-hop-bombs like Avery Majaraja, Stone Ruination and Troegs' Nugget Nectar.

This is exactly how I started moving into the IPA style beers which I now love...I fell in love with Hooker Brewery's APA and the rest is history.. Stone's Levitation Ale is a Red that has a lot of characteristics of an APA or even a mild IPA... As far as "newbie IPA" go I would recommend Harpoon as other people have mentioned... Don't worry, you'll be drinking IPA before you know it.. Last year at this time I was a BMC guy.. crazy how fast I advanced...Now I don't touch the stuff

Back