holy crap i'm gonna be a dad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkone

Reaction score
i mean it's not beer, but it may be the best thing I "brewed" this year! fermentation is done in the summer!

now if i can just talk swmbo into naming it a hop varietal... :-D

Congrats, good to know your yeast strain is strong and viral. Happy brewing...:rockin:

I don't know if you already brew outdoors, but you might wanna invest in the stuff you need to do so... the pregnant SWMBO will not like the smell of your brewing in the house...The last time I brewed in the house, my pregnant swmbo said it smell like dog food and ran to the bathrrom to though up.
not good...

sadly i'm on the third floor of an apartment building.

luckily, SWMBO is out teaching grad students all day long so i'll be done long before she gets back.

i've gotta figure out what to do about where to ferment though -- right now i'm using the guest bedroom, but come june that's gonna be a nursery and i've already been told "no way" for that.

think i might just build a bigger collar on my kegerator and put in a shelf and use the top part to control fermentation temps...

congrats dude. Whats the expected day? My wife and I found out we were knocked up too a few weeks ago. July 28th is the current date, but subject to change at the first sonogram-thingy I guess.

congrats on the news! :mug:

all you first time parents to be, stock up on sleep now! :D

got that right for sure! took at least a couple monthes before each of my kids were sleeping all the way through the night.

Here is a tip: If the baby just won't stop crying, the bathroom exhaust fan sounds close enough to the womb for them that they usually stop crying. Of course rule out food and sleep first. We moved the crib into the bathroom and like magic we could get a full nights sleep if we ran the fan with the crib in the bathroom.

I am sure it will not work for everyone. One of my employees tried it but he had better luck by putting a small tv by the crib tuned into white noise. Same concept but sounded different enough that it worked.

It was so weird when the baby would be crying in the living room and all I would have to do is walk into the bathroom and turn on the fan. Immediately stopped crying.

When they get older around 2, give them the illusion of choice. My daughter hated it when I washed her hair. Screamed and cried when I poured water on her hair. I told her "we need to pour the water on your hair, do you want me to use the blue cup or the red one?" Since she picked the cup there was never a problem again. Instead of "Eat your vegetables!" let them pick which one for dinner and they will eat it.

Good luck.

Forrest

gotta love AHS! you not only get brewing supplies and tips -- but tips for raising kids! :mug:

If I have kids, I'll name them Austin Homebrew Supply!

Congratulatons!

Forget the Peace Corps - parenting is the toughest job you'll ever love!

Dave

Congrautalitons tkone! We have a 17 month and a 4 month old. As hard as it is, there is no better experience.

My best piece of advice, during the delivery. . .keep your eyes on your wife's eyes. . .no where else. . .;)

Congrats! Plan to brew up any really long aging beers or meads to celebrate with each year (and have a couple left for the kiddo's 21st?)

Thanks for the tips Forrest, I'll have to try that once we get a little one.

Congrats. A 16mo old here. Being a parent is great. It's not work unless you make it work. It's not easy, but it's fun.
Our's was sleeping through the night at 7 weeks. I highly recommend reading "Baby Wise".
It's worked wonders for our baby. It's a nice balance between schedule and flexibility. Like I said, he was sleeping through the night at 7 weeks using this. My SIL also saw the same results using it. Schedule and consistency is key for sure.

Congrats and enjoy the hell out of them :D

And for the womb sounds, ours had a Womb bear that we put under his bassinet that replicated womb sounds. Don't know if it helped him, but it sure put me to sleep:)

Congrats! Our daughter is now 4 months... It's been the best four months of my life!!!

and it gets better as they get older! i have a 19 month old and a 4 year old and they get really excited about some of the littlest things. :mug:

Back