holy crap - a testament to time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
i brewed a dortmunder back in june. tried my best to ensure a good brew day, cooled down to proper temp, pitched a ton of yeast (WY 2206), had a nice, controlled fermentation, lagered for 3 weeks (probably not enough) and tapped it. i just wasn't happy with the flavor from fermentation and yeast. i could have sworn it had a detectable amount diacetyl in it somehow, despite my attention to detail. i was unhappy with it, my wife thought it was OK and drank a few pints over a month or so to humor me and i avoided it as i had other good beers on tap.

fast forward a few weeks... i brewed a cream ale that turned out great and didn't have an open tap for it, so i pulled the keg of dortmunder and replaced it with the cream ale. i decided to put the keg of dortmunder down in my basement to chill for a while and i kinda forgot about it.

fast forward to about a week ago, almost 4 months after i brewed the dortmunder and the cream ale and another that took it's place kicked. i decide, what the hell, and put the dortmunder back in the keezer. holy **** is this a nice lager now... i was ready to forget about brewing lagers, but this one really has me excited again. honestly one of the best beers i've ever brewed and all it took was 4 months... ;)

Let me get this straight...After carbing the keg you removed it from Co2 and put it in your basement? I always thought if you did this the beer would go flat, and bad. Do you just carb it up again and its good to go? I might have to give this a try, cuz I to have a space issue when it comes to my keezer.

yep, exactly. i just left it pressurized at whatever my serving PSI was at the time and let it sit in the basement. and even if it did lose some carbonation, it quickly came back after reconnecting it to the gas.

Back