Holy carbonated Blueberry SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alistechbumb

Reaction score
Ok, while I do not consider myself a complete noob, I am no brew master yet either. But, I am posting this here, in hopes it may help others. I brewed a SMaSH, (American two row, homegrown cascades) and crushed up a pint of blueberries and added to secondary. I let sit for two weeks in secondary, had stable gravity, and then carbonated a little under recommendations of 1/3 cup corn sugar for 5 gallons. The beer is Fantastic, but super carbonated (gysering) when you pop a bottle. Are blueberries just still fermenting (obviously) what do you all do to carbonate fruit beers, At this rate,no carbing sugar would have been needed, tips, thoughts, ideas? Thanks in advance!

i might be wrong here, and correct me if i am. but if you just added fresh or frozen blueberries, there could be wild yeast or other bacteria on their skin or inside? so maybe you've got some infected beer fermenting in the bottles? how was the taste of it?

btw. if the bottles are geysering, put them in a safe place, so glass does not potentially explode anywhere. good luck

1 pint of blueberries in a 5G batch is not very much added sugars and should have been completely fermented out within a couple days. And a lot of people will add frozen, then thawed fruit to their secondary(or primary) without sanitizing them without a problem, so hopefully you don't have an infection.
So, if no infection(hopefully), then my hope would be an inconsistent mixing of priming sugar in your bottling bucket. If that's the case, then you'll experience some gushers, some flats, and some just right.

I did the frozen then thawed fruit, it tastes fine with no ill side effects, so I am pretty sure it is safe. I am leaning towards inconsistent mixing in the carboy, as I was bottling a few batches that night, the others all turned out fine. Too bad I will just have to drink it really fast to ensure no exploding takes place! Thanks all!

Back