Holding my hose.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
(You all are sick) How do you secure hoses while brewing? I am gravity brewer, so I want to secure my drain hoses during all phases of my brew day.

hahaha my head went right to the gutter before clicking on this thread.

Are you using ball valves? or are you refering to securing hoses into whatever vessel you are moving water/wort into? i use gravity as well and I just cut enough length of silicone tubing to make sure it can reach the bottom of my kettle and fermenter when transferring my wort.

Definitely interested in what answers show up here. I've never found what I consider a good solution for holding hoses that are draining into other vessels. Just last week, I lost about 2 gallons of boiling water that I was recirculating through my CFC when a hose stuck into my keggle flopped out. Luckily, I caught it and killed everything before my pump dumped enough water on the patio to result in a dry firing of my heating element.

I use spring clamps and bungies but they take lots of adjusting to get them set properly. I have an auto siphon that has a holder/gripper thing that does not work so well on the AS. I am thinking of trying to fabricate that to do the job. I also just got some quick disconnects and thought about having different lengths of hose but that means more cleaning. I currently have to babysit while draining to make sure the hose does not fall out and that keeps me from staying on top of cleanup and preparing for the next step. Thanks for your help.

I use binder clips. I have a set of clips that I use just for brewing that I put a bead of caulk on the inside of the top to add a little extra grip. Seems to do the trick and I can clamp them onto my cooler mash tun or kettles without pinching the hose

Since my mash tun is a 10 gallon round cooler, I just wedge my silicone hose between the handle and the outside of the cooler when recirculating. I do the same when I use my homemade fly sparge sprinkler. Then, when I am draining into my kettle, I use a hose that has a CAM Lock on the end. The weight of the CAM Lock keeps the hose right on the bottom of the kettle. It doesn't seem to want to pull out at all.

I must be missing something really obvious - how do you hold a silicon hose with a spring clamp without squeezing it shut?

The clamps I use look like these, I just run the hose through wide part of the clamp opening and clamp to the bucket/kettle/whatever and slide them down until the hose is tight but not clamped.

Hope thats a little clearer.

p_1000816602.jpg

I just point the hose into the vessel to receive it. I have never had to use anything to hold my hose.

Long section from the HLT into the mash tun, short section pointing from the mash tun into the BK and a long enough section from the BK that is stuck into the mouth of my PET carboy.

But I am using only gravity for transfers, and tap water for my IC. The tubing on it is long enough that 4-5 feet are sitting in the bottom of the sink.

Gavin, Is that contraption that you have resting on the top of your kettle for adding hops? if so are you happy with the way it works, how do you attach the bag to the PVC?

Gavin, Is that contraption that you have resting on the top of your kettle for adding hops? if so are you happy with the way it works, how do you attach the bag to the PVC?

:off:

Yeah. It's a hop spider.

• PVC 4-3" adapter
  • Stainless steel cariage bolts, nuts and washers
  • Stainless Steel Hose Clamp
  • Biggest hop bag that your kettle will allow.

attachment.php

:off:

Yeah. It's a hop spider.

• PVC 4-3" adapter
  • Stainless steel cariage bolts, nuts and washers
  • Stainless Steel Hose Clamp
  • Biggest hop bag that your kettle will allow.

attachment.php

lol my hop spider looks exactly like that one. Nice looking kitchen, BTW. FWIW, I stopped using the hose clamp and went with a used keg o-ring to hold the bag in place. Holds perfectly tight and is much less fuss to take on and off.

Back