HODO Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZCoolerBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
B1A5A2CC-032E-48BC-857F-C6BE48129C36.jpeg
So everyone these days is talking about LODO brewing. I’m not a detractor of LODO. In fact I’m taking LODO a step further and and adding oxygen to the strike water. Obviously, yeast need oxygen to reproduce and having dissolved oxygen in the mash is not complementary to the graininess of your grain so to eliminate the free ions in the strike water it is important to add a healthy dose of gypsum. The gypsum helps keep the PH consistent thereby binding the free ions to the molecular glucose. In fact, with HODO brewing adding free oxygen to the strike water is essential. The oxygen acts as a sort of flavor savor of the mash. Later the yeast will strip this molecular oxygen during fermentation. Leaving the all grain goodness to give you that “it” factor that the English in Burton on Trent found years ago with their naturally occurring hard water. Once inoculated with oxygenated strike water the yeast will use the O2 in a molecular vs ionic wort. It is important to bottle condition however. Kegging and force carbing can cause the yeast to die rather than go dormant naturally. The yeast in suspention will then release the free ions of O2 into solution and prematurely age your beer. If you have to keg, either filter the beer or prime your keg with sugar. If the yeast is allowed to go dormant naturally then it will continue to strip the beer of oxygen for up to 3 years before slowly releasing it back into the beer. Trying HODO brewing uses no extra equipment so seeing the benefits will cost you nothing. Why not try it? You will be yelling, “HODO! HODO!, While masses of people try to beat down your front door to get a pint of your brew. Here is a picture of HODO beer vs. LODO. The HODO is on the right.

Just because I happen to use a whoopy cushion to add the oxygen to the strike water does NOT make HODO a joke. Whoopy cushions are widely available and a convenient vessel for the HODO process. Just be sure to rinse off the talcum powder before use.

The oxygen-scavenging potential of flatulence-based microbiota, when introduced directly into beer before final packaging, is largely unknown to those outside of the HODO subset of brewers.

Sounds plausible, but I see the OP is a 2015er. Can we trust his knowledge is as great as FtC's?

I think the proof's in the pics. That beer on the right looks mighty tasty. The one on the left, not so much. Or was it the other way around? In any case, I think he's on to something. It makes perfect sense. Coors brews its beer from Rocky Mountain springwater that has no doubt tumbled down mountain slopes, picking up lots of O2 in the process. If that's good enough for Coors....

Just because I happen to use a whoopy cushion to add the oxygen to the strike water does NOT make HODO a joke. Whoopy cushions are widely available and a convenient vessel for the HODO process. Just be sure to rinse off the talcum powder before use.

Don't worry about the haters. Great innovation is always met with derision from the masses. What does @ajdelange know anyway? I'll bet has never even brewed beer, let alone spent decades as a professional in the field of applied sciences like some of us here. As a professional with 0.85 decades (yes, that's plural. Read 'em and weep!) applying educational science to pre-adults, I fully support HODO and I intend to do everything in my power to oxygenate my water, wort, and beer at every step of the process. I don't have a DO meter, but my cheap pH meter looks like one, so I'll use that to measure my mash DO. Let's crank it up to 11, boys!

What is going on here? I started this thread in the brewing science forum. Now it is in the drunken ramblings forum. What in the holy horse is happening. Its like, I make a breakthrough in my short time brewing and my voice is relegated to drunken rambling status! I’ve hit all the valid points of a new and inovative process: ideas based in true science, tested and tasted inovation, pictures of said truths :( If I wasn’t a microbiologist with degrees in organic chemistry and quality engineering well... This is unacceptable. I guess certain mods are just threatened by the validity of my HODO claims.

We need to be careful when working with HODO.

Air...Air
Hit me in the face
I run faster
Faster into the air
(I say to myself)
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Air can hurt you too
Some people say not to worry about the air
Some people never had experience with...

Air...Air
It can break your heart
So remember when the weather gets rough
(You'll say to yourself)
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Air can hurt you too
Some people say not to worry about the air
Some people don't know **** about the...
Air...

You guys are a bunch of amateurs! I have been doing HODO since day one. I like the idea of "continuous improvement" and my beers really took off once I started using one of these bad boys as my primary fermenter. I find the open top and constant churning really adds the required HODOness that I've been seeking. I added some bling wheels to mine, though. Gotta have something shiny on brew day!

Z--17ufo5oy.jpg

You guys are a bunch of amateurs! I have been doing HODO since day one. I like the idea of "continuous improvement" and my beers really took off once I started using one of these bad boys as my primary fermenter. I find the open top and constant churning really adds the required HODOness that I've been seeking. I added some bling wheels to mine, though. Gotta have something shiny on brew day!

View attachment 550573
I’m very interested in your process. HODO has been around for years if not in name, in deed. Anchor Brewing brews in open fermentors and my first craft beer, the one that made me stop and rethink what good beer means was an Anchor Steam. That is why I go full HODO!

Back