Hobbyist welder looking to help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domantori

Reaction score
Hello all. New to forum although I have gotten good information from here in the past. While browsing, it seemed that there were quite a few people on here looking for welders. While I do not he brew, I have made a few keggles for a few friends and enjoyed it. I graduated from a local trade college in 99 and worked as a welder for a few years but just do it as a hobby and for pure enjoyment these days. Anyway, I hope this doesn't look like I'm trying to drum up business. But, if anyone near the st.louis area needs any stainless tig done or any other welding needs, I would be happy to help. Why? Because I truly enjoy welding and because the world would be a much better place if we all just helped each other out.

image.jpg

Thank you very much! That one was a lot of work. Here is another small example of my work.

image.jpg

I'm about 70 miles south of St. Louis. I am going to need some welding done on some keggles soon. Whats the cost?

Thanks. Graduated from a welding program at a trade college and worked as a welder for a couple of years.

I did too, went to job corps (basically the same thing) about 11 years ago. I'm super rusty on my stainless tig, decent with aluminum tig, but pretty damn good with the dual shield

I did too, went to job corps (basically the same thing) about 11 years ago. I'm super rusty on my stainless tig, decent with aluminum tig, but pretty damn good with the dual shield

I, like most, am most proficient at mig but enjoy tig by far. My tig aluminum is ok at best but aluminum is way more difficult than ss as you know.

Going to pick up a 15.5 used keg today. $50 which is kind of steep but most clowns on cl around here are asking $100. Crazy!!

Tried posting keggle for sale in "for sale" area but not sure if it took. So, I will try here also.

image-2482299128.jpg

image-2818477625.jpg

image-2843507635.jpg

image-4286608474.jpg

image-4292490284.jpg

image-1652598886.jpg

Comes with everything you see in pics. Located in st.louis. Open to offers. Thanks guys.

brew_ny said:
tri-mix which is Helium/Argon/CO2 but I believe you can use Argon/CO2 all the best S_M

I use a 75/25 mix for mig. 100% argon for Tig. Keggle was Tig welded.

By the way, I have a eye bolt to hold the top of the sight glass in place but it is to short. Probably because I welded the coupler near flush. Oops.:)

Got a photo of the back sides of those welds? What's your setup for purging the back side?

mattd2 said:
Got a photo of the back sides of those welds? What's your setup for purging the back side?

Was going to make up a purge dam to save on argon or just purge the whole keg. After talking to a couple of pipe fitters I work with, I decided to not back purge and just take a tiger disc to the penetration/ light sugaring on the inside. From what I've read on these forums, unless it's a showpiece, minor sugaring is not going to hurt anything. But, I will take a pic for reference. I do have a dual flow regulator. I'm open to opinions on if this is acceptable sugaring.

image-2508535303.jpg

image-1033772908.jpg

image-970378642.jpg

image-2025863051.jpg

I went back and forth on if I should purge and even had the keg taped off for purging. It was a game time call. Did I make the right call?

Wish I lived nearby. I have a handful of ideas that would require welding.

Purge. Use a pop can with the top cut off. Tape it to the backside of what your welding. Purge with the hose threw the fitting stuffed with steel wool. Although, proper purging will take you twice as long with setup to get the welding done. We are extremely anal about our welds. We clean the surfaces with alcohol, preheat the area, purge and then weld.

ColeBeer78 said:
Purge. Use a pop can with the top cut off. Tape it to the backside of what your welding. Purge with the hose threw the fitting stuffed with steel wool. Although, proper purging will take you twice as long with setup to get the welding done. We are extremely anal about our welds. We clean the surfaces with alcohol, preheat the area, purge and then weld.

Since I know nothing about brewing, is this keggle still usable? I can take a tiger disc and get most if not all of it off. It's just tough to get underneath the coupling.

Ok. Just took a flap wheel to the coupling with the temp gauge/sight glass. Any better? Sorry for the poor photos. Hard to take pics of the inside

image-460706786.jpg

image-3873495785.jpg

image-1338742829.jpg

It looks fine. Unless its a fermenting vessel, clean welds are just fine. When we first built my rig, I didn't back gas and have a ton of sugaring. Never ground it down, it looks like **** but never had an infection.

ColeBeer78 said:
It looks fine. Unless its a fermenting vessel, clean welds are just fine. When we first built my rig, I didn't back gas and have a ton of sugaring. Never ground it down, it looks like **** but never had an infection.

That's what I was thinking. From many of the posts I have read on here, the brew is going to be boiled killing any possible bacteria, correct? Argon is not cheap so if I have to back purge, the cost of the vessel goes up. Like I said, I went back and forth on weather or not to purge. Had a cup made up and then decided to purge the whole keg. After talking to the fitters, their take was don't worry about purging. But, I take pride in my work and want to do a good job. I wouldn't want to sell a shoddy product.

Have another keggle for sale. Tig welded couplings. Comes with everything you see. 3 piece ball valve, thermometer and sight glass all from bobby m. Asking $175 plus shipping (estimate shipping at $65).

image-2063080767.jpg

image-1522721725.jpg

image-1897492617.jpg

image-4239946223.jpg

image-1809154576.jpg

image-1795017873.jpg

image-79068438.jpg

image-3291079480.jpg

Latest posts

Back