Hobbies other than brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been playing the bag pipes for about 6 years now, currently with the St. Louis Caledonians. Got to play at the White House last year on St. Patty's Day for Obama, Speaker of the House, and the Prime Minister of Ireland with the Air Force bagpipe band--that was a really cool day.

Mason/Shriner - We do parades (bag pipe band) in the summer time to help raise awareness for the Shriner's Hospitals of America.

I like to workout, doing crossfit mostly, so I can continue to drink my brews. SWMBO is a marathon runner so I'm constantly trying to stay in half-marathon shape so I can be a participator.

Great thread...I like that some are complementary...smoked meat and beer, food and beer, some are seemingly unrelated, like gardening and beer, art and beer, and some are at odds with each other...guns and beer, motorcycles and beer...and mine, long distance running and beer. Although you can make the argument that beer makes for excellent carb loading the night before a race. Worked like a charm on my half marathon last October.

Correction:

gardening and beer - hop farming
art and beer - shame on you, craft beer IS an art
long distance running and beer - guess what they served at the finish line in every race I've run thus far... beer:rockin:

I'm sure there's a healthy correlation with motorcycles, guns, and beer too, just can't put a finger on it ;)

correlation: (ha just being stupid)

I don't know about you but I really crave a good beer(s) after (and during :drunk:) a marathon!! I remember after my first 20 miler I went in the fridge, grabbed all the leftovers, 3 beers, 2 ibprofen, and climbed in the bathtub. hahaha

sober art is for art therapists.

gotta have fresh food man. rosemary jalepeno IPA. just saying

keep up the good WORK cooper. 32 valley of savannah

I really don't have any other legitimate hobbies.
There's a lot of stuff I do, but that's mostly because I want the benefits of it ... landscape and gardening, some fairly extensive house renovation and finish carpentry, once upon a time I was a chef - so I sometimes cook a bit. I do some volunteer work ... not sure if that qualifies or not. Volunteering and philanthropy is really a luxury. If I was independently wealthy that's something I'd like to do a lot more of.
Like working out too, but then again I don't consider that a hobby.

carrotmalt said:
art and beer - shame on you, craft beer IS an art
long distance running and beer - guess what they served at the finish line in every race I've run thus far... beer:rockin:

Well played sir. Brewing is art. And I do like beer after a race!

My other hobby:

188362_149180111812898_149178608479715_310832_5258004_n.jpg

I'm really into mountain biking. Brewing and mountain biking are my two passions. I have other smaller things that I do, but none of them get the time that brewing and biking do.

I've been playing the bag pipes for about 6 years now, currently with the St. Louis Caledonians.

That is way cool. I've always wanted to play the bagpipes.
My musical endeavors have never gotten very far. I wanted to play the melodeon (a type of accordion) and bought an old one, but have not been able to free up the time to learn anything on it. There's a specific song I'm dying to learn (actually bought the box to learn that song) and have the video from youtube, but just can't seem to find the hours to learn it. What I really need is lessons ... but all I really want for the moment is just to learn that one song.
Same thing for clarinet ... wanted to learn "Stranger on the Shore" and went out and bought a licorice stick to play just that ... uh, huh.

I've loved the pipes since I was a kid, ... always wanted to play the Sky Boat Song. Again ... uh huh.

Hunting
Fishing
PT PT Everyday (build my body the Marine Corps way)
Golf
Poker
Guitar (or some horrible version of)
Break Dancing
Cooking
Smoking Meats
Church
Which all lead to the primary goal of BEING HAPPY

Brewing is my newest hobby, just started a few days after Christmas (can you guess what my biggest gift was? :p ) So far I absolutely love it and can't wait to get started on my second batch.

Music has been my greatest passion ever since my adolescence, when I introduced myself to rock and roll. I'm a self-taught, learn-by-ear musician. I'm 31 today and have been playing bass (primarily) and guitar (secondarily), singing, writing, recording music and playing shows with various bands since the age of 13. My current band (a prog/jazz/funk/grunge-rock trio, if that makes sense to anyone) is in the process of mixing our 9-song debut album.

I also collect music in CD format; I have over 400 of them currently, most in good-to-mint condition...haven't made any purchases in quite a few months though. I'm hoping to purchase a record player soon and start a vinyl collection.

I also like to read books. Real books. I find turning the pages of a good book much more satisfying than staring at a touch-screen. As a teenager I was really into Stephen King and little bit of Dean Koontz; these days I'm more into Chuck Palahniuk and Kurt Vonnegut. Currently reading Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series which I got for Christmas along with The Histories of Middle Earth collection. Just finished The Hobbit and started The Fellowship of the Ring. Great stuff.

I've always loved to write (if you couldn't tell by this extensive post), since I learned how to in grade school. English was my best subject. Used to write a lot of poetry in my teenage years; nowadays I stick to the occasional album or concert review, or a personal journal entry here and there.

I've worked in the restaurant industry for almost ten years, and share a common passion for food and the dining experience with my fiancee, who has worked in both front- and back-of-the-house since her teens. We love finding different places to eat and going on "foodie adventures" (when we have the time and money). Our TV is almost always on Food Network or Travel Channel (unless there's a Red Sox or Patriots game on); we're big fans of Bourdain especially. She's a great cook and just about all of her experiments turn out delicious, so I let her prepare most of the meals, but I like to take over when it comes to grilling.

I've had a pet turtle for almost 2 years now, he lives in a 55-gallon tank in our living room and is actually quite sociable. Not sure if I'd call that a hobby because he's pretty low-maintenance: feed him once every couple days, change water/filters and give the tank a good scrub about once a month, that's about it.

And that's really about it. I do play video games, but not enough to call it a hobby.

Love this forum! Gotta go pick up the girl from work. Football game is on. Go Pats!

Wow. This I havn't checked this thread in a while. My brewing got put on hold I hope to fire up another batch soon.

Well, my sig identifies most of them, plus photography (not as often as I'd like), soccer and fantasy football (not at the addict stage, though)...

Posted this over in the 'Obsession' thread but figured I'd share over here.

Combining two of my hobbies:

cart_1.jpg

Bowling/drinking league on wednesday night, curling league thursday night, family man every night, taking stuff apart and trying to figure how it goes back together :mug:

Back