HME well past "best before date"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdog44450

Reaction score
I bought an American Ale kit that included a can of HME in it on Amazon. I received the kit and the can of HME says "best before July 18th, 2014", which is nearly 7 months ago. I won't be able to use it for at least another month which would put it at 8 months old because my fermenter will be in use for an IPA. Is it worth even wasting the time trying to brew it or will it most likely come out and taste like crap? I have Safale US-05 on hand so the yeast the kit came with is going in the garbage regardless so the HME is the only variable that should be taken into consideration.

I would go to contact us & choose phone. You'll probably get a refund & maybe not even have to send the kit back. Then I'd brew it. I've brewed with LME that was years out of date.

I've used a couple HMEs that were way out of date. One of them won an award at a local homebrew stores competition. The other...well...you can drink it and get drunk on it. That's about all its worth for. I find HMEs for stouts and porters age really well. Ones for pale ales and bitters usually make terrible beer with weird off flavors.

Latest posts

Back