HLT Stratification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogcrewer

Reaction score
So I am thinking about mounting some sort of aquarium pump around my HLT. The idea is to inject air into when I am conducting the recirculation when I need to ramp up the temp in my mash tun. The air bubbles in the HLT would "keep things moving".
Anyone else ever thinking, or created this? Pros and Cons?

So I am thinking about mounting some sort of aquarium pump around my HLT. The idea is to inject air into when I am conducting the recirculation when I need to ramp up the temp in my mash tun. The air bubbles in the HLT would "keep things moving".

Yes. I see no reason why it would not work and it would be simpler and cheaper than using a stirring mechanism or a pump. Should be fairly cheap to do also. I've also thought that you could make it work even better if you installed an air lift tube similar to those often used for aquarium bottom filters. A section of CPVC should do it. The air lift tube would probably improve the efficiency some. Ideally, you would want the air lift installed in the center of the HLT, but even off to one side it should work pretty well. If using a HEX in the HLT, you might want to install more than one air lift to improve the performance even more.

I use an aquarium pump in my HERMS (see gallery pics - I think I have some there). It's a 1 gallon cooler so the affect is much greater than it probably would be in a 15 gallon keg (not sure how big your vessel is?). Only criticism I've seen is that it can cool the water b/c of the air bubbling but in my case the electric heater more makes up any slight difference in temperatures. That said, I'm designing my new build and I plan to use a stir motor on top of my HLT.

Edit: added picture of HERMS w/ bubbler.

herms_side.jpg

I use an aquarium pump in my HERMS (see gallery pics - I think I have some there). It's a 1 gallon cooler so the affect is much greater than it probably would be in a 15 gallon keg (not sure how big your vessel is?). Only criticism I've seen is that it can cool the water b/c of the air bubbling but in my case the electric heater more makes up any slight difference in temperatures. That said, I'm designing my new build and I plan to use a stir motor on top of my HLT.

Edit: added picture of HERMS w/ bubbler.

herms_side.jpg

IMO, the cooling effect would be very trivial.

I'm going to get blasted for this, but I don't see the point of stirring or circulating the hlt. Keep in mind, i've only done one batch on the new setup, but maintaining mash temps was not a problem. Sure there's a heat diff, but the wort flowing through hex even's out to a point.

It just seems to be another gadget people worry about. I'm brewing again on Friday, and afetr two times, i'm sure i'll be an authority on the matter.:D

Good point on the cooling. I use the HLT as my sparge water when the time is up. Usally keep it around 180 or so when I am recirc for my mash. The good point would be that I would have to slowly ramp the HLT temp down for sparge, due to the fact that the air bubbles are cooling the water.

I'm going to get blasted for this, but I don't see the point of stirring or circulating the hlt. Keep in mind, i've only done one batch on the new setup, but maintaining mash temps was not a problem. Sure there's a heat diff, but the wort flowing through hex even's out to a point.

It just seems to be another gadget people worry about. I'm brewing again on Friday, and afetr two times, i'm sure i'll be an authority on the matter.:D

I use a RIM's heater so HLT temps during the mash don't mean much to me. However, when you start to sparge (I fly sparge), you have the potential to add much hotter sparge water later in the process if you don't mix/stir to eliminate the stratification.

Ed

You're probably right that the practical need is over exaggerated. The area around the HERMS will be cooler than the rest, but there's only so much of a delta that can exist without currents kicking in to mix. For a short time, the controller will run the heat longer than usual. No big deal...probably.

Now, the guys that control mash temps by putting the HLT control probe in the HLT, now that I can see being a problem.

This is for my RIMS set up. Think what I am going to do is put it inline with my pump. When the pump turns on, the aquarium pump will come on also. Plus put a switch on the aquarium pump. That way I can turn it off if not needed.

Why not just recirculate the HLT with the pump until you strike, then do the same when you sparge? Are you fly sparging or batch?

Not blasting. I guess it just depends on your system. I draw off the very bottom of my keg HLT. If I dont stir, I get about three gallons of strike/sparge water that is 20-30 degrees lower than my setpoint. The water above the element seems to stir fine via convection. With the pump running for a while, I get water from the bottom exactly what my controller is set for.

Back