HLT size question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhhobbies

Reaction score
Ok so I built 3 tank single tier herms rig, all 20gal tanks, I brew 15gal batches. I wish I put more thought into it but my issue is when I mash in with the HLT water I need to fill it back up to cover the coil and to provide water for the sparge. Heating that water up takes about 45min which basically doesn't let you use the herms coil until your water is heated up to temp. What does everyone do here? As far as I can think is to re fill the HLT with hot water which I hear is bad, get a 40gal HLT tank, or perhaps heat water in the HLT and another 20gal in the boil kettle at the same time so once I mash in I can transfer the boil water into the HLT tank. For the last option I would have to modify my panel as it can only run one element at a time currently and sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My setup is a keggle based herms.
What I do is this:
Fill the mlt with the required amount of water for mashing.
Fill hlt with 12-13 gallons of its 15 gal capacity.
Turn on the heat and circulate the mash water until its at strike temp.
Stop mlt recirc and dough in.
Top off the hlt with room temp water to bring its temp down to mash temp.
Restart mlt recirc.

Hope that helps

Ah, a very good option thanks, what temp do you have your HLT tank at while you heat the strike water?

Perfect, I'll try that method on my next brew ;)

Back