HLT question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigemags05

Reaction score
I've got a 10 gallon cooler mash tun. I'd like to make a HLT to go along with it. Would it be alright to use a 5 gallon igloo cooler for that? Or will I need a 10 gallon one? I only do 5 gallon batches. But you know how that goes, as soon as I say that's all I do I'll want to upgrade to 10 gallon batches. But the 5 gallon igloo cooler is only $20 as opposed to the $50 for the 10 gallon.

ditto asterix404's question...how are you going to heat the water to begin with? Even if you are heating your strike/sparge water with some other source and pouring/pumping it into the HLT, you really should have a 10 gallon or LARGER HLT with a sighl glass or some other method of knowing your volumes. It just makes it easier. I suggest you look at flea markets and yard sales for a 10 gallon cooler, I bought 2 for 15 each.
Where is Mansfield? I may be able to hook you up with one cheap.

I use an 8 gallon stainless pot for heating/boiling.

I'd love to find a deal for $15 each. I can't find one for cheaper than $45.

Mansfield is about 20 minutes east of Ft. Worth. If you've got one to sell, I'd be really interested. I appreciate the advice.

I was going to tell you where one is for sale for $14 in Cleveland Texas, but thats too far to go for you. I live in Little Rock ark but have property in Cleveland and am in Galveston right now. Hope the weather was not too rough there where you are..
Keep looking at pawn shops/flea markets, you will find one.

Back