Hiya from Chapel Hill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taoisilent

Reaction score
Hiya folks,

I've been brewing on and off since the early 90s. Began with extracts, and moved quickly to extracts and specialty grains, and then quickly again to AG. I brewed for several years using Denny's Quick & Easy Batch Sparge method with great results. However, a few years ago I moved to a small apartment, and it became very impractical, if not outright impossible to make large batches of beer of any type.

Recently a friend of mine switched to AG, and I gave him my large brew pot, my cooler mash tun, and some other gear. However, his enthusiasm was a bit infectious, and I began to turn the mental machinery in my mind a bit. I held back a three gallon carboy, and kept a decent amount of swingtops, and ordered some ingredients from Northern Brewer for a 3 gallon specialty grain and extract beer.

I know many of you are thinking why go to the trouble for just 3 gallons, but when space is such a premium, it starts to make sense. Especially considering how much fun I had back then. I've even been researching the BIAB method, and it might actually be doable in my tiny kitchen with two 20 quart pots and making a kind of batch BIAB session.

In any event, this weekend or next I'm putting my brew-hat back on, and I'm super excited about it. This forum has helped enormously on reintroducing myself back into the game, remembering old concepts and learning some new ones. I especially have enjoyed the threads about fermenting only in the primary, and the big hullabaloo that has caused :) I used to rack to secondary religiously with good results, but I'm going to try a month in the primary and see what happens!

Cheers!

Jamie in Chapel Hill

Welcome, BACK, to the hobby!

I can understand 3 gallon batches, I do 1 gallon batches of cider and mead.

welcome taoisilent :D

you should come to a TRUB meeting over in Durham sometime. Really awesome bunch of homebrewers and we get up to 25+ people sometimes, all bringing in their homebrew or other random brews for everyone to try, I usually have a hard time getting home after them :drunk:

2nd wednesday of the month, usually at Satisfaction in durham but I think its going to be in the Bull City Homebrew store this next week (i'd call them first to confirm)

http://trubclub.com/

Welcome to the group, from CO!

I do 3G batches as experiments for new styles / recipes. Got a small MT with a BIAB and I can do it all on the stove while watching TV. A bit more cleanup, but not too bad.

I still do 5G or 10G batches on my "full" system, but less often.

Welcome back to brewing. Oh how I miss the triangle. I did a short stint in Carrboro with a now defunct start-up company. It's amazing how much I fell in love with NC after only 8 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the warm welcome!

jglazer, as soon as I can request a Wednesday evening off, I’d love to go to a Trub meeting, that sounds like a good time :) I work nights in a hospital, and we schedule 6 weeks out. Hopefully sometime late in March…

Well, I just got through the hot break of my first batch in more than 4 years, and threw in the first hop addition. I’m brewing Northern Brewer’s Caribou Slobber scaled down for 3 gallons.

Damn, the house smells awesome! I’m having a blast!

Cheers!

My Scale Calculations weren't too bad. For 5 Gallons with 7 lbs of extract the OG is supposed to be 1.052. For 3 gallons I used 4.2 lbs of extract and my OG was 1.049.

Pitched the yeast (Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale) and I've got a tad over 3 gallons in my 5 gallon wide mouth bubbler in a cabinet in the kitchen that I'm heating with a small 40watt bulb = 68 degrees :)

Hey im in Raleigh and if your ever looking to get up and brew with somebody you should let me know. Im also in a small apartment and I do 10g AG batches monthly and sometimes bi weekly

Back