Hit FG in 7 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jivy26

Reaction score
So I am fermenting a 3 gal and today is the 7th day it has been in primary. My OG was 1.086 and as per BeerSmith it says my FG should be 1.018 for 9.07% ABV. I checked the FG today and it is at 1.018. Should I cold crash at this point and stop the fermentation or continue to let it go until my FG no longer drops?

So I am fermenting a 3 gal and today is the 7th day it has been in primary. My OG was 1.086 and as per BeerSmith it says my FG should be 1.018 for 9.07% ABV. I checked the FG today and it is at 1.018. Should I cold crash at this point and stop the fermentation or continue to let it go until my FG no longer drops?

You really should wait until fermentation stops naturally. Especially if you're bottling. Reason being that yeast will clean up off flavors towards the end of fermentation. Also if you bottle beers that aren't done fermenting, you could be creating bottle bombs.

Reaching FG in 7 days is normal for some yeasts but you'll want to wait a couple days and take another hydro sample to confirm its still at 1.018 and done fermenting.

Yeah I was thinking to keep it fermenting so I don't get any off flavors in the beer as well.

fermentation is done including production of ethanol and higher level alcohols at this point. The yeast does have the ability to uptake diacetyl and other compounds that can produce some off flavors so what I normally do when my fermentation is done this early is taste the beer and if I identify any off flavors I tend to give the beer more time or do a diaceyl rest. If the beer tastes good then I don't worry with waiting longer and keg.

Beersmith FG's are estimates. Lots of variables, including mash temperature, grain freshness, pitch rate, fermentation temperature, yeast strain, and so on can affect how far the beer ferments.

That said, many beers finish within a week, so it's possible your beer has indeed reached its FG. As @brewerdoc says, the yeast continue to work on the beer even after they've fermented all the sugars they're going to ferment, so it's good to give them another week or two to finish up, but there's a decent chance the FG won't change over that period.

Yeah I tested the FG 2 days later and no movement in it, so I started cold crashing last night. If I notice any off flavors I will just let it sit in primary a few days longer then 2 after FG is met and stable.

Back