History of the IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gameface

Reaction score
This style originates from the early 1800s when English brewers began shipping their beer to India via the East India Trading Company. At the time the EITC allowed their ship captains to purchase items, including beer, on their own and transport them on their ships for the voyage to India. Most of the goods being transported were coming out of India, so the ships had extra space during the voyage to India.

The Hodgson’s Bow brewery became a popular source for the beer that they purchased primarily because of its location. It was located east of London just a short distance up river from the docks used by the EITC. Hodgson’s also offered incredibly favorable terms to the captains, giving them low prices and not demanding payment until their return. Because the ship captains favored Hodgson’s so heavily the brand became the standard of quality amongst the ex-pats living in India. In India the popular beer supplied by Hodgson’s was named “Hodgson’s Select Pale Ale” and was not a distinct style separate from the pale ale (bitter) of the day sold all across England. However, at the time porter was far and away the most popular beer in England.

There is a popular myth, one that I have been guilty of repeating on occasion, that IPA came to be as a result of necessity in order for the beer to survive the “long” (four month) sea voyage to India. This turns out to be flat out wrong. Many styles of beer were shipped to India, including porter and even “small beer” which contained low levels of alcohol and hops. English brewers had been trading their beer around the world for some time and were well aware of various methods to preserve it for long journeys and in all climates. It is likely that it was just a matter of the ship captain’s preference for doing business with Hodgson’s and Hodgson’s particular version of pale ale, which was paler and more bitter than most popular pale ales of the day, that led to the popularity of that taste in the Indian market.

In 1821 Frederick Hodgson and Thomas Drane were heading Hodgson’s brewery. They decided they could increase their profits by cutting out the EITC ship captains, shipping their beer to India and selling it themselves. At the time, shipping their beer to India cost no more than shipping it to Edinburgh. Hodgson’s no longer offered their beer on credit, demanding only cash up front, and they raised prices by 20%. In India Hodgson’s attempted to maintain their dominance by grossly under pricing their beer any time a merchant attempted to import a different brand, thus scaring merchants into avoiding their rivals. Hodgson’s believed that their actions combined by their fine reputation amongst the British ex-pats would prevent any other brewer from finding buyers in India.

The EITC had other plans. In 1822 captain Campbell Marjoribanks, who represented the EITC’s shipping interests on the company’s court of directors, invited Samuel Allsopp, a well known Burton upon Trent brewer, to his home for dinner. The Burton brewers had just been hit hard by new tariffs in Russia on all English ale imports. Capt. Majoribanks informed Allsopp that the market for English ale in India was 10,000 barrels a year, more than enough to make up for the loss of the Russian market. He also informed him that “we are all now dependent upon Hodgson’s, who has given offence to most of our merchants in India” so there was an opening for a new supplier. Capt. Majoribanks had selected Allsopp for his experience in exporting beer to distant lands.

Allsopp returned to Burton and attempted to recreate “Hodgson’s India Beer” which was much more pale and bitter than the beers Allsopp was currently brewing. It turned out that the well water in Burton was far better suited for brewing pale hoppy beers than the water Hodgson’s was using near London. Allsopp commissioned his maltster, Job Goodhead, to create a pale “East India” malt perfectly suited to making this new pale hoppy beer. Allsopp’s new pale ale began shipping to India in 1823. Within a year reports were returning that his beer “is almost universally preferred by all old Indians [Europeans in India] to Hodgson’s.” The only complaint levied against the beer was that it needed to be a little more bitter and a little less strong.

This “India beer” was exclusively exported overseas. That is, until a ship wrecked in the Irish Channel in 1827. The ship contained 300 hogsheads (one hogshead is just shy of 240L) of beer. Several casks of which were the “Burton bitter beer” headed to India. The ship’s underwriters sold the beer off in Liverpool where this new India ale was greatly enjoyed. The reputation of this beer spread rapidly across England. It wasn't until 1835 that the first reference to “India Pale Ale” can be found in an advertisement for Hodgson’s beer in the Liverpool Mercury. However, the beer was still much more popularly referred to as “Pale Ale as prepared for India” until about 1846. The first brewer to refer to their own beer as India Pale Ale was Bass. Their rival brewers quickly followed suit.

Excellent article. Having it all together connects the dots.

Thje term ‘IPA’ is rapidly losing meaning. The 2015 BJCP guidelines for Specialty IPA describe Black IPA, Brown IPA, White IPA, Rye IPA, Belgian IPA and Red IPA. They can be Session, Standard, or Double. Now that IPA’s can be any strength or color you might wonder what the heck an IPA is.

The BJCP tries to dig itself out of the hole thusly:
The term IPA is used as a singular descriptor of a type of hoppy bitter beer. It is not meant to be spelled out as ‘India Pale Ale’ when used in the context of a Specialty IPA. None of these beers ever went to India and many aren’t pale. But the craft beer market knows what to expect in balance when a beer is described as an ‘IPA’ - so the modifiers used to differentiate them are based on that concept alone.
Everybody got that? We can’t tell you what it is, but you’ll know it when you see it.

Based on history, the joke is that IPA was originally a marketing term for ‘beer designed to cut Hodgson’s time’.

Excellent article. Having it all together connects the dots.

Thje term ‘IPA’ is rapidly losing meaning. The 2015 BJCP guidelines for Specialty IPA describe Black IPA, Brown IPA, White IPA, Rye IPA, Belgian IPA and Red IPA. They can be Session, Standard, or Double. Now that IPA’s can be any strength or color you might wonder what the heck an IPA is.

Everybody got that? We can’t tell you what it is, but you’ll know it when you see it.

Based on history, the joke is that IPA was originally a marketing term for ‘beer designed to cut Hodgson’s time’.

Thanks!

And I agree that "IPA" is losing meaning and becoming a catch-all for any particularly bitter beer.

A stupid pet peeve of mine is the use of the term "session IPA." There's already a name for that, it's called a bitter. IPA started as a stronger more bitter version of your average every day "session" pale ale. No need to call a bitter a session IPA.

Also just wanted to get the correct info out there to reduce the amount of times brewers pass on the false origin story that IPA was born out of a necessity to preserve beer. It wasn't.

A stupid pet peeve of mine is the use of the term "session IPA." There's already a name for that, it's called a bitter. IPA started as a stronger more bitter version of your average every day "session" pale ale. No need to call a bitter a session IPA.
IPA didn't start as a stronger version of Bitter. Bitter didn't exist before IPA. The Pale Ales of the 18th century were completely unlike IPA, as they were very lightly hopped. Bitter developed from IPA.

The first IPA I've seen a brewing record for, Reid's of 1839, had an OG of just 1056.

IPA didn't start as a stronger version of Bitter. Bitter didn't exist before IPA. The Pale Ales of the 18th century were completely unlike IPA, as they were very lightly hopped. Bitter developed from IPA.

The first IPA I've seen a brewing record for, Reid's of 1839, had an OG of just 1056.

I'm definitely open to learning more about the history of brewing in England and I think I'll read the source material for this thread again, "Amber, Gold & Black: The History of Britain's Great Beers" by Martyn Cornell. I'd be interested in other books or resources on the subject.

That said, from what I understand the term "Pale Ale" and "Bitter" is used interchangeably in the UK. Where breweries typically refer to their beers as Pale Ales and the consumer generally refers to the same beer as a Bitter.

If there is a distinct historical style difference between Bitters and Pale Ales I was not aware of that fact.

I'm definitely open to learning more about the history of brewing in England and I think I'll read the source material for this thread again, "Amber, Gold & Black: The History of Britain's Great Beers" by Martyn Cornell. I'd be interested in other books or resources on the subject.

That said, from what I understand the term "Pale Ale" and "Bitter" is used interchangeably in the UK. Where breweries typically refer to their beers as Pale Ales and the consumer generally refers to the same beer as a Bitter.

If there is a distinct historical style difference between Bitters and Pale Ales I was not aware of that fact.
There's no stylistic difference between Bitters and Pale Ales. At least not the post-1800 type of Pale Ale. Pale Ale, Light Ale, Dinner Ale, Bitter Light Bitter all evolved from IPA.

Now I think about it, Dinner Ale is the original session IPA.

For further reading on the subject, I'd recommend "Bitter!":

http://www.lulu.com/shop/http://www...tinson/bitter/paperback/product-21856830.html

by one of the best beer historians around.

A stupid pet peeve of mine is the use of the term "session IPA." There's already a name for that, it's called a bitter.

If you handed somebody a Easy Jack from Firestone Walker and told them it was a bitter, they would think there was something wrong with your head. The aroma is just too different, the objective is too divergent. They would be all offended that you used fruity/dank/pine hops. Bitter is bitter and a bit malty with a little aroma. A good session IPA should be big on aroma.

If you don't like the term session, that's fine - but then you have to be okay with saying that IPAs can go down to the 3% range. And don't even think of being that guy who says "overhopped pale ale."

The BJCP didn't dig the hole. American Craft Brewers did. The guidelines are a response to commercial (and sometimes historic trends) not the creators of them.

With so many variations of IPA that bear no resemblance to historic versions, the letters are a bolt-on term to signal the consumer about amplified hop aroma and flavor. IPA now means, Improve Profits Automatically.

The BJCP didn't dig the hole. American Craft Brewers did. The guidelines are a response to commercial (and sometimes historic trends) not the creators of them.

With so many variations of IPA that bear no resemblance to historic versions, the letters are a bolt-on term to signal the consumer about amplified hop aroma and flavor. IPA now means, Improve Profits Automatically.

What's your proposed name for IPAs? AHAF (amplified hop aroma and flavor)?

There's no stylistic difference between Bitters and Pale Ales. At least not the post-1800 type of Pale Ale. Pale Ale, Light Ale, Dinner Ale, Bitter Light Bitter all evolved from IPA.

Now I think about it, Dinner Ale is the original session IPA.

For further reading on the subject, I'd recommend "Bitter!":

http://www.lulu.com/shop/http://www...tinson/bitter/paperback/product-21856830.html

by one of the best beer historians around.

They all originated from IPA?

The beer referred to as IPA came MUCH later than beer called pale ale.

Arguing about the origins of beer styles is ridiculous. Home brewers are the only people who give 2 ****s about what particular style a beer fits into.

I've got no clue what I need as far as equipment to get started brewing beer. Can someone tell me what all is needed?
Thanks,
Bobby Cox

Not really true. Beer geeks don't have to homebrew.

On another note, Pete Brown (author of Hops and Glory) speculates that Hodgsons pale ale for india was originally based on an Oktoberfest recipe. The speculation runs that he knew Hops preserved beer, as did alcohol content. He also knew that many beers (porters, small beers, etc) sent to India were opened and undrinkable due to spoilage or oxidation. Finally, he understood that the beers sent to India commanded such a high price that losing a lot of hogsheads due to spoilage, still resulted in a profit to the brewer. So he went to his brewhouse and formulated the first IPA, as a hoppy Oktoberfest.

They all originated from IPA?

The beer referred to as IPA came MUCH later than beer called pale ale.
18th-century Pale Ale was a totally different type of beer. All modern Pale Ales are descended from IPA.

Not really true. Beer geeks don't have to homebrew.

On another note, Pete Brown (author of Hops and Glory) speculates that Hodgsons pale ale for india was originally based on an Oktoberfest recipe. The speculation runs that he knew Hops preserved beer, as did alcohol content. He also knew that many beers (porters, small beers, etc) sent to India were opened and undrinkable due to spoilage or oxidation. Finally, he understood that the beers sent to India commanded such a high price that losing a lot of hogsheads due to spoilage, still resulted in a profit to the brewer. So he went to his brewhouse and formulated the first IPA, as a hoppy Oktoberfest.
There was more Porter exported to India than IPA.

A story as old as time immemorial; A brief history of the IPA, as told by Psylocide McAmurica

"A full glass of IPA was in front of me, and then it was gone."

Honestly there are so many books, articles, papers, and podcasts that come out each year on the history of IPA's that I've grown tired of keeping up with all of the variations, opinions, and research.

Latest posts

Back