Hissing Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tschafer

Reaction score
I converted my Stand up Maytag Freezer to a Kegorator.

2 Taps on the door and one hole on the side for the CO2 line.

Drilled through the side and immediately a rush of compressed air hissed out. Upon checking the hole, everything was fine. Metal shell, then foam, then plastic shell on the inside. No lines. All good, right?

We since then, my Freezer has been at in the 60s…not 43 degrees.

Has anyone had this issue?

I've turned it off for 5 minute and then turn it back on. My wife says its at 63 degrees and seem to be chilling, but i'm still worried.

Note: I have converted 2 fridges before, but this is my first stand up freezer converted.

thanks

Tim

If compressed air came out in a rush and it won't cool properly, I'll bet you nicked a coil somewhere. Did they same to an AC not too long ago when the drill slipped for a drain hole. I swore for solid 2 hours straight.

The compressed air you heard rushing out was probably refrigerant leaving the system. As stated before, you probably nicked a refrigerant line when you drilled thru the side.

Open the hole up and carve out some of the foam, I"ll bet you find a line in there.

Yep. I hit a line. That was a great 400 dollar mistake. So while I look for a replacement, any chance this can be fixed…Attached pic. image2.jpg

That can definitely be fixed. It won't be the most aesthetically pleasing repair as the tech will have to open that hole vertically to get good access to the ends. But, sure, extract the ends, insert and solder a repair section, purge the system and recharge the working fluid and you'll be good to go.

SWAG it'll cost around $250, unless you "know a guy" with the skills and tools that'll go easy on you.
Even less if he's a homebrew aficionado :)

Cheers!

Yep, like day trippr said, it can be fixed no problem for someone with the skills and tools. I would take off the inside (plastic side) to access the tubes and repair. If you know someone that can evacuate and recharge the system, then you'll be $$$ ahead.

Back