HighGravity Sytems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
Hello eBrewers! As some of you know I've been researching eBrewing for a bit now and with my lack of experience/knowledge of electrical I'm thinking I'm just going to buy a pre-built system. It's going to be a BIAB setup, with no PID control, just a potentiometer to manually control the element. Simply put, I'm just replacing propane with electric so I can brew indoors.
That being said the only controller I can find like this is from High Gravity. Has anyone dealt with their controllers? Does anyone have the Kettle Controller which I plan to buy? Anyone care to add a review and pics of their setup?

I am interested in this approach as well. Was thinking of going with a PID for my BK, but not sure I need it or not.

High Gravity just came out with a new controller. It has two PIDs and a pwm. But it costs 800 bucks just for the controler.

High Gravity just came out with a new controller. It has two PIDs and a pwm. But it costs 800 bucks just for the controler.

I was at High Gravity Tuesday, I was able to take a look at this model and it rocks. They have put tons of time in building it. If I had 800 to spend on it I would. I am building one that is similar just not paying the 800. Using most of the same parts, when I do get all the parts together i'm sure that I will post photos. This is a video that Dave has on the site that shows how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all of p-j's diagrams and all the help and support here there is no reason a total novice couldn't build a simple control panel. I built one, using a p-j diagram plugged it in and everything worked as intended. For a simple single pid, single ssr like I did you are looking at $200-300 to build.

+1 on PJ's diagrams. Super easy to follow the color coordinated diagrams.

P-J is awesome. He is knowledgeable and very generous with sharing it and helping others. However, all aspects of building a controller like this require skills - either skills you have, or skills you need to acquire. Wire stripping, crimping, soldering, cutting and drilling into metal, making connections and knowing if they are good, using a VOM, troubleshooting things that don't work as planned, etc. Some brewers just don't have these skills and aren't oriented toward acquiring them. This isn't a flaw - just the way it is. Brewers that don't have or want to acquire these skills, but still want to get in on the automation, should purchase solutions, or get someone with these skills to help them physically (not just over the phone or through e-mail). There is certainly no shame in that. You just need to decide how much it's worth to you. If you can afford the $800 for this and you want to do it then by all means move forward. Personally, I think the price is steep, but the market will be the judge of that. I can say that Dave (or whomever is building these for Dave) knows what's going on. I wouldn't be concerned about it being unsafe or unreliable.

BrewingSailor said:
P-J is awesome. He is knowledgeable and very generous with sharing it and helping others. However, all aspects of building a controller like this require skills - either skills you have, or skills you need to acquire. Wire stripping, crimping, soldering, cutting and drilling into metal, making connections and knowing if they are good, using a VOM, troubleshooting things that don't work as planned, etc. Some brewers just don't have these skills and aren't oriented toward acquiring them. This isn't a flaw - just the way it is. Brewers that don't have or want to acquire these skills, but still want to get in on the automation, should purchase solutions, or get someone with these skills to help them physically (not just over the phone or through e-mail). There is certainly no shame in that. You just need to decide how much it's worth to you. If you can afford the $800 for this and you want to do it then by all means move forward. Personally, I think the price is steep, but the market will be the judge of that. I can say that Dave (or whomever is building these for Dave) knows what's going on. I wouldn't be concerned about it being unsafe or unreliable.

I agree PJ is an outstanding member of our community and has helped countless number of HB's such as myself with the knowledge and ability to build an al electric system, if I can do it anyone can!

I agree PJ is an outstanding member of our community and has helped countless number of HB's such as myself with the knowledge and ability to build an al electric system, if I can do it anyone can!

Understatement of the year!!! PJ insisted I call him up after I posted asking for help with a wiring diagram and he was fun to shoot the **** with and gave me awesome ideas for the rig I am planning!!

Another cheers for PJ, although it was about two years ago. PJ made my hour long drive to work, great. The conversations about electrical engineering and beer stories were better then any CD or radio!

With all of p-j's diagrams and all the help and support here there is no reason a total novice couldn't build a simple control panel. I built one, using a p-j diagram plugged it in and everything worked as intended. For a simple single pid, single ssr like I did you are looking at $200-300 to build.

I would like to see the outfit you put together.

Latest posts

Back