Higher mash pH mellows faster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huckdavidson

Reaction score
Do beers with a higher mash pH ( ~5.5 - 5.6 or > ) mellow faster than beers with a lower mash pH ( < 5.5 )?

Mellow meaning, ready to drink, mature in flavor. etc...

Some say this applies to dark and or heavy beers but not so much to lighter styles.

Just curious if this was a widely observed phenomenon having a scientific backing or more of a fluke.

I found that my stouts and porters are homogenized sooner with a 5.5 pH verses 5.2. Pils and light lagers are crisper at 4.9-5.2 pH. I try to get 5.4 for my ales and anything amber. We will know for sure when my buddy gets his learn to homebrew beer on tap. It's a Schwartz beer and his program said it would be 5.4,I looked at the grain bill and said more like 4.9. Well it was 4.8. He does keg fermenting under pressure and used 45-70 ,I mean 34-70 so we'll know.

I found that my stouts and porters are homogenized sooner with a 5.5 pH verses 5.2. Pils and light lagers are crisper at 4.9-5.2 pH. I try to get 5.4 for my ales and anything amber. We will know for sure when my buddy gets his learn to homebrew beer on tap. It's a Schwartz beer and his program said it would be 5.4,I looked at the grain bill and said more like 4.9. Well it was 4.8. He does keg fermenting under pressure and used 45-70 ,I mean 34-70 so we'll know.

I see what you did there.

Back