High SG question- Brewers Best Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spazasm

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers, I have been lurking for a while and have now come for help. I started brewing a few weeks ago after my wife sent me to a class put on by learntobrew right here in south okc/moore. I have to say that was the best fathers day present ever. I have already bottled one batch, a true brew nut brown ale, everything has gone fantastic with that batch. I just finished puting my second batch together, Brewers Best Belgian Tripel. Now for the question- before pitching the yeast I tested the gravity and found it to be a startling 1.120! i checked and double checked and kept coming up with this number. The kit suggests I should have a sg of 1.083-1.086. Is this normal? I know this is a big beer and I am ready to wait a looong time for it to mature, will it recover from such a high gravity or is there something wrong with my batch. I know its really early to tell anything but I am thinking I will probably have to repitch some yeast in a few weeks just to bring the gravity down without stressing my yeast. Any advice, pointers, or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Did you reach your estimated voulume?Like 5 gal for a 5 gal batch? Did you partial boil then topp off with water?

wHEN YOU top off you get inaccurate readings. I would go with your recipe the exact amout of voulume you reached and you shouldnt fail. A brew calc is going to give a pretty good estimate for your recipe. Was this all grain?

No it was an extract but i think the issue is with the top off. I stirred and shook the carboy for a minute or so to mix it but i dont think it was enough. after looking at the carboy it seems like the mix is darker towards the middle and bottom (suggesting that the wort is more concentrated there) and thats about where I took my sample from.

If this was an extract (or all grain) that you topped off, the top off water often 'floats' on the heavier wort - temp effect when the yeast get going it will mix, BUT if you don't stir it really well, you will get high SG's depending on how you sample - I 'bottom sample' because I primary in a bottling bucket.

Yep, since you saw a difference in the color as you went from the top to the bottom, they should tell you it was not fully mixed. Your sample came from the bottom, which is the heavier part of the mix = higher gravity sample.

Gravity of extracts can be readily estimated without measurements. Assume you have what the kit tells you you should have.

Hydrometer readings are a big problem with topping off. I dont top off but have only heard of complications with hydrometer readings partial boils and topping off.Even stirring well may not mix water with wort so dont count on your hydro.Use a brew calc. If you do all grain its different because you have to know your effiency rate you got from your mash also, and want a preboil gravity reading.
Basically if you plug your recipe in a brew calc you should be within range. If your certain of your total volume and know how much extract you put in, a brew calculator using Tastybrew or whatnot will give you your reading.hope this helps? I for one know that i usually dont hit an estimated reading, its all good you can find out your efficency,but its bla bla this and that,.

Back