High primary temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tclary2

Reaction score
I made a Chocolate stout yesterday and when I woke up this morning it was already bubbling and the temp climbed to around 78...i had to go to work and couldn't do anything about bringing it down. Will it be ok?

What yeast were you using? 78 is probably a little high. Were you using any means of cooling the fermenter?

It was a dry yeast that I rehydrated..Windsor I believe. The room I keep it in usually stays around 68 to 70 so I have never had to cool it...this morning I couldn't because I had to work.

Well keep in mind that the ambient temp of the room is going to be a few degrees lower than the temp in your fermenter (fermentation generates heat). Your best bet would be a swamp cooler style setup. You can google them, but basically its a shallow tub or container with water that you fermenter can sit it and the water will chill it. If its warmer, you can always drape a shirt or towel over the fermenter into the water so it can wick the moisture around.

At this point, it may be a little too late, but it wouldn't hurt to get that bad boy in a swamp cooler when you get home to try to save it. 78 isnt excessively high, but its not ideal for fermenting. Usually you want to stick closer to 70

Well, when you can, try to find a way to cool it down some. The first 1-4 days are when most of your flavors are going to originate. See if you can find a cooler room or buy a big storage tub, fill with some cool water and put your carboy in there. Putting a damp towel on the carboy will help too.

Ok thanks I'll give it try when I get home...what kind of problem could the high temp cause?

Fermenting at a warmer temp is going to cause the yeast to ferment more vigorously, and when they do so, they throw off more esters (yeasty flavors). This is actually desired in most Belgian styles, and wheat/wit beers. Not particularly desired in a stout, however. They also can make more fusel alcohols, which can make the beer hot and boozy.

Get it cool asap, but as stated above, most yeast flavor develops in the early, most active stages of fermentation, so it's probably too late. When its done, taste it, and if it's not to your liking, don't dump it, just keep aging it at room temperature. The warmer it is up to a point, the faster it will age, so a warm room (upper 70's) is best. Eventually, even it's damn near un-drinkable, it is possible for it to age out over time.

Back