High pH with BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Been trying to get some water issues worked out and I verified my salts additions amounts on at least 2 different spreadsheets or applications. My mash pH was 5.8 where both "predictors" said it should have been 5.4.

I think I read somewhere that the higher water/grain ratio might lead to higher mash pH, but I can't find that reference again.

Can anyone confirm?

Yes, the high water to grain ratio causes high pH just like they say you shouldn't steep your steeping grains in the full volume for extract brewing, rather a ratio of 1.5 - 2qt per pound. You need to adjust the water down with gypsum/calcium chloride and/or some kind of acid addition. Otherwise, for most beers, you'll have some tannin issues and likely under attenuation from a high mash pH.

Yes, the high water to grain ratio causes high pH just like they say you shouldn't steep your steeping grains in the full volume for extract brewing, rather a ratio of 1.5 - 2qt per pound. You need to adjust the water down with gypsum/calcium chloride and/or some kind of acid addition. Otherwise, for most beers, you'll have some tannin issues and likely under attenuation from a high mash pH.

Where do you see this?

Where do you see this?

What do you mean? I've read it multiple places like How to Brew and various others who've been brewing a long time, namely Denny Conn. With a high water to grist ratio, the pH is going to be much higher.

Been trying to get some water issues worked out and I verified my salts additions amounts on at least 2 different spreadsheets or applications. My mash pH was 5.8 where both "predictors" said it should have been 5.4.

I think I read somewhere that the higher water/grain ratio might lead to higher mash pH, but I can't find that reference again.

Can anyone confirm?

What was your liquor to grain ratio?

1MadScientist, it's common knowledge, at least in extract brewing, that if you steep your 1-2lbs of specialty grains in 5 gallons of water, the pH is going to be way too high and you'll get tannins in your beer. This is more of a potential issue in brewing in a bag because of the higher water to grist ratio. So for not responding sooner. I do my calculations in Bru'n water and haven't had astringency in any of my beers when doing BIAB.

Well, the brew I asked about was the previous beer. I will say, it was a blonde ale. Next brew was a porter so I think the dark grains helped more with the pH.

I've usually been close on the mash pH when I treat my water, but that blonde was the first time I tried a light colored beer with BIAB.

My brew which spawned this thread was a light blonde, BIAB version of the Centennial Blonde. Treated the water and included some acid malt. Water calculator predicted a mash pH of 5.4 but I measured 5.84.

Use brunwater, it will show you that a high water to grain ratio gives a high pH. It is common knowledge and it has made my BIAB a little difficult at first. I ignored this fact and ruined my beers. I got a Hannah checker pH meter, adjusted with acid and gypsum and my pH was on target=beers good. Another thing I gig bored was pulse width modulation for electric boiling. Without PWM and electric brew, you will eventually scorch the wort. That was my second issue that took a few great brews with it.

I borrowed a ph meter for last weekend's brew. Based on my water and the ez_water_calculator spreadsheet, I had to acidify my mash. pH meter confirmed I hit my mash ph number. Interesting experiment. I will continue to adjust my mash water.

I am very new to water profiles and do not understand all of this. I used bru'nwater for my last brew and entered my grain bill and my water volumes. How close is this program, typically, to estimating the real ph? I have now way of measuring ph and was hoping bru'nwater was fairly accurate.

I am starting with RO water and adding minerals, so my beginning water profile shouldn't cause me any issues.

EDIT: I also use sparge water to get to my pre-boil volumes. I do not add any sodium bicarbonate to my sparge water but I did add it to my mash water. Is this a bad idea with BIAB? I am now concerned that I created tannins with the higher ph in the mash waster caused by the sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

The more I learn, the more confused I become.

Back