High OG readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yjanny

Reaction score
Hi, I'm fairly new to brewing, but I've been using "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer to try and get my head wrapped around what makes a good beer. I've just been doing partial brews using the method in the book. Calculate how much sugar the steeping grain should add to the wort and estimate the amount of LME to add before the boil. I can nail the pre-boil gravity no problem, but once I add the designated amount of LME at the end of the boil and top up the water to the 21 L mark my OG is always way way higher than what it's meant to be in the recipes. I've tried adding more water but it never seems to be enough. I'm ending up with OGs of 1.1 or higher when they're meant to be 1.055. Anyone have any ideas what's going on? Thanks in advance.

it is hard to get a really accurate reading with extract brewing as you need to mix your wort super well

I always just when on the fact this is how much DME/LME I added and this is the number of points it would give me

all the best

S_M

Back