High Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmains

Reaction score
I had a d'oh moment last nigh. I was brewing EdWort's Haus Pale. Figured I'd brew something nice and easy, just to have some pale around. I was using my 15 gallon kettle with a probe thermometer installed, turns out there wasn't enough liquid to reach the probe. I didn't realize this until halfway through the mash. After taking a temp reading with a regular thermometer, I realized I was actually mashing at around 180!

So... should I see the batch through? I realize it will be extremely sweet. Any chance it'll taste decent?

Cheers!

If you really mashed at 180, I doubt you got much conversion at all. Did you take a gravity reading?

Yeah, this one is a loss for sure. I have never done such a small grain bill. Typically my cereal will reach the probe, but I guess this one was just a bit short. I guess I was reading the temperature of the steam.

Was doing some reading on high mashes and looks like this one is kaput.

Thanks!

Well- actually now that I think about it.... the OG measured at 1.031. Should be 1.051. REALLY low I know, but will the unfermentable sugars give a reading? Or only fermentables? Haven't dumped it yet.

Well- actually now that I think about it.... the OG measured at 1.031. Should be 1.051. REALLY low I know, but will the unfermentable sugars give a reading? Or only fermentables? Haven't dumped it yet.

both with effect the reading. you could try adding some amylase from your LHBS to the batch to try to salvage it

Back