High Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmains

Reaction score
I had a d'oh moment last nigh. I was brewing EdWort's Haus Pale. Figured I'd brew something nice and easy, just to have some pale around. I was using my 15 gallon kettle with a probe thermometer installed, turns out there wasn't enough liquid to reach the probe. I didn't realize this until halfway through the mash. After taking a temp reading with a regular thermometer, I realized I was actually mashing at around 180!

So... should I see the batch through? I realize it will be extremely sweet. Any chance it'll taste decent?

Cheers!

If you really mashed at 180, I doubt you got much conversion at all. Did you take a gravity reading?

Yeah, this one is a loss for sure. I have never done such a small grain bill. Typically my cereal will reach the probe, but I guess this one was just a bit short. I guess I was reading the temperature of the steam.

Was doing some reading on high mashes and looks like this one is kaput.

Thanks!

Well- actually now that I think about it.... the OG measured at 1.031. Should be 1.051. REALLY low I know, but will the unfermentable sugars give a reading? Or only fermentables? Haven't dumped it yet.

Well- actually now that I think about it.... the OG measured at 1.031. Should be 1.051. REALLY low I know, but will the unfermentable sugars give a reading? Or only fermentables? Haven't dumped it yet.

both with effect the reading. you could try adding some amylase from your LHBS to the batch to try to salvage it

Latest posts

Back