High Gravity Yeast Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay1

Reaction score
I made a beer with an OG of 1.12. When I was finished I had way more wort than I needed, so I did a little experiment. I intended to ferment the whole batch on WLP099 so I made an appropriate starter for 5 gallons. I ended up with and extra 2.5 gallons. Not wanting to be wasteful, I pitched some 1056 on the extra and put it in another carboy. I let both of these beers sit for about 4 months. The results are somewhat interesting.

ATTENUATION

WLP099:
1.12 - 1.010 (14.8%). I couldn't believe it brought it down that low.

1056:
1.12 - 1.028 (12.4). A smack pack tossed in a batch, thats pretty impressive.

Both of them took off, producing a nice Krausen within 24 hrs.

TASTE

Here's where it gets interesting.

*this is tasting off the hydrometer before it was kegged and carbed

WLP099: Very dry but with a little bit of alcohol bite. Also, a weird caramel apple taste that was not good.

1056: Sweet, like you would expect from a beer that finished at 1.028 but no "off flavors". I could easily taste all of the malts. No alcohol bite, very clean.

I like how the WLP099 worked. I wish I knew what the apple flavor was and how to make this yeast work for me better as far as flavor.

Here is the recipe:

19 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 82.6 %
1 lbs Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.3 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
2 lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 5 8.7 %
2.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 49.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 Hop 7 3.2 IBUs

Cool experiment, thanks for all the tasting notes too.

Sometime the caramel flavor/aroma is associated with diacetyl, and apple w/ acetyaldehyde. Diacetyl is associated with low oxygenation, high ferm temp, or just the strain of yeast. Acetyaldehyde is associated with young beer, and considering the gravity on this puppy, it might still need some conditioning. Although, some yeast just produce more than others.

I bet the apple flavor will fade with time, but I am curious about the diacetyl. What was your fermentation temperature?

Back