high gravity witbeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grüner Brauer

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of wit last night the O.G. was 1.075!!. right now its fermenting vigorusly with wyeast belgianwit. what are some problems i may face with this heavy wit.

Well, pretty much what you have to watch out for with anything over 70 is your yeast should have a starter for one (to build a sufficient population of yeast to continue through and complete fermentation), secondly it should be given sufficient aeration (to help the yeast population growth during the lag phase), and thirdly protect your wort from temperature swings (which can upset the yeast from doing their thing). Most likely though, in your worst case scenario (if you neglect to do these things) you would probably just finish high as your yeast have a hard time as the alcohol level goes up....suppose I should add that a 'stuck fermentation' is always a possibility.

This of course is dependent on your yeast strain, which is another important factor. If you use something that is only good at fermenting lower gravity worts then it may cause you trouble down the road. I am guessing that since it is a Wit, you probably used a Belgain Strain so it is most likely A-ok.

Either way, rdwhahb!

Back