High Gravity Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsprowls

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I wanted to make a tar thick stout and see how it turned out, but I have a few fermentation questions. Here is the recipe and story.

3 gallon batch (wanted to experiment with a smaller batch incase it sucks)

Extract:
6lbs light dry malt extract (muntons)

Grains: 45 min steep at 160
1 lb flaked oats
1/2 lb roasted barley (muntons)
1/2 lb chocolate malt (muntons)
1/2 lb crystal malt (150)
http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/editor/separator.gif
Additions:
60 min 1oz Cascade
15 min 1/2 lb lactose
15 min 1/2 lb hershey unsweetened coca powder

It came out to a starting gravity of about 1.103
I pitched one pack of Nottingham dry yeast (I never rehydrate... maybe I should have this time... or even made a starter).

I am hoping since it is a small batch and I pitched a full package of yeast that I will be fine. That being said, hopville said it should come down to about 1.027... so if it doesn't make it close to that a few days after I see the fermentation lock stop moving... should I pitch again?

I am also concerned that the unhealthy yeast from the high alcohol content could make bottling an issue.

I suppose another issue could be poorly treated yeast making some not so delicious off flavors....

Let me know what you all think! Worst case scenario I waisted money on a small experiment batch... but it is always nice to hear what other people have to say.

Thanks!

I'd imagine 1 packet of dry yeast, rehydrated or not, may struggle with this one. You probably need 2-3 packets of rehydrated, but check out the yeast calculator on Mr. Malty to be sure. If you get a good healthy group of yeast going, the buffalo theory may save you ;).

Also, you may want to aerate after 12 and 24 hours. With that much gravity, you'll have a way to go before oxidation is a problem.

Yeah. I checked the calculator there right after this. It said 1 11g packet should do the trick..... so I guess we shall see. Anybody else have any info? What about bottling? Will I have to force carb?

Sorry, but there is no way the OG was 1.103 as 6lbs of DME will not get you there.

PPG of DME is 44 x 6lbs = 264ppg/ 3 gallon batch = 88 meaning 1.088 would be the expected gravity
Even with the steeped grains I am getting 1.092 in Beersmith

I will assume top off water meaning you did not get a good mix resulting in the off reading. Either way, 1 11g packet of yeast would be fine

I did the calculation on hopville. I get the same thing you did when I don't calculate in the lactose and the cocoa powder. So im assuming you didn't put those in.

I added one packet of American ale dry yeast to five gallons of a 1.079 OG porter and had a lag time of over 24 hours. I know the yeast will multiply, but do I have enough to get me where I'm going or should I add another packet? My calculations said I was short on yeast but I got activity anyhow.

Yeah. I checked the calculator there right after this. It said 1 11g packet should do the trick..... so I guess we shall see. Anybody else have any info? What about bottling? Will I have to force carb?

No, I missed those...............

Back